How has The Delve been for Solo players?

By kris40k, in Road to Legend

So, with everyone huddled in-doors, I finally got around to cracking open the Decent 2E core set that I got for X-Mas, and I've played a couple games into the first intro road to Legend campaign (Rise of the Goblins) getting a feel for the new edition (long time 1E player) running two characters.

I looked into the campaign options available with just the Core set and was wondering what people's opinions were of The Delve as far as solo play through the game. Does the "endless dungeon" stay pretty fresh? My hobby money has been getting spread pretty thin with getting into Runewars Miniature Game, so while I probably won't be getting any 2E box expansions for awhile I could spare $5 if The Delve is worth getting.

I also have a conversion kit and all the 1E content. I know RtL doesn't support the kit directly, but I think you can "fake it" by adding the Monster and Hero packs to get that content into the game. I'd just be missing a few updated cards and the Crow Hags minis, I think. I can proxy minis if it comes up. So, I can start adding those in to freshen stuff up, as well, I think.

Went through it once. Pretty fun!

I find playing the first three stages (two act 1 stages followed by an act 1 boss battle) is very enjoyable experience. Playing all 6 stages is a little too long for me when playing solo.

Edited by Lightningclaw

Thanks for the replies; I'll probably end up getting it since its not that expensive and adds another game mode.

Finally picked it up, and I agree with @Lightningclaw in that I got through 3 stages before taking a break at what seemed like a natural stopping point between Act 1 and Act 2.

I did notice that while the game will save your place in stage 4, you have to go through the initial setup/model placement, and doesn't seem to have a way to review those after completing that. I was able to work-around that with ye ole camera, but I wish there was a way you could save/exit between the stages instead of having to complete the setup, or if it was possible to review the setup instructions in the Log. It gives the text ("Place heroes/monster group as shown"), but not images of what was being shown at the time, which doesn't help too much.

I love the idea of the Delve, but not a fan of the execution. It feels too... mechanical. Here's a small room, fight a bunch of this stuff. Yay. There's a little variety occasionally, but that's what it usually is like. Feels more like a test lab to try out new heroes and class combos than an adventure worth spending time doing.

I've only Delved once, but we really liked it and are looking forward to more after we get through Seeds of Corruption" (survive or not).

Fabulous. In between dungeons you can upgrade your gear, but you have no idea which end bosses you are up against, which gives an ultimate sense of tension.

EVERY adventure is different which is incredible. And even in the unlikely event you will enter a room with the exact same mobs (very rare) it will probably take years before that even happens.

i do not understand the “saving” problem mentioned either. As a solo gamer I have my own room to set up games and continue playing whenever I am in the mood.

Whether the boardgame is App driven or not, you let it set up as a solo gamer and return to it when you are back. In the case of the Delve Quest I just close the lid of my Surface computer and open it after coming back.

I enjoy the Delve. It has some fun level designs and is great for some classic hack and slash. I mostly use the Delve as R&D for testing out different heroes that I am curious to play, but am not ready to fully commit to using them in a campaign. The Delve helps illustrate some of their strengths and weaknesses.