How does Lash work?

By Wibs, in Road to Legend

Hi, we are confused about the LASH of Bone Horror

After this attack resolves, place the target in an empty space up 2 two spaces away from this monster.

Does it pull or push the hero torwards the monster?

Thank you,

Away from. It's a melee type so can generally only attack when adjacent. I say generally because it could potentially use Extend and attack up to three spaces away.

In RP terms: The bone horror attacks with it's body like a snake. A very very Very large snake consisting of bone and magical energy. When it attacks it lashes its entire being at you, sending you tumbling back (up to two spaces away).

Thanks, but this works if this is melee and adjacent.

But it has Extend - so it can attack already within 3 spaces from itself. If it does - does it still push away?

3 hours ago, Wibs said:

Thanks, but this works if this is melee and adjacent.

But it has Extend - so it can attack already within 3 spaces from itself. If it does - does it still push away?

Extend is a "may" qualifier. So the Overlord *may* attack a figure up to three squares away. If the Bone Horror attacks a figure not adjacent, that would negate the usability of the surge. That happens in the game from time to time. Certain actions or options will make it so some surges cannot be used. In that case go to the next surge which is Pierce 2. If it rolled two surges while attacking a figure 3 spaces away, only the Pierce 2 one can be applied and the other surge goes unused. There are skills and cards that play off of unused surges, which makes it understood that there will be unused surges from time to time. Remember, even in the rulebook, a player does not have to use their surges. They *may* use them if they want to. I know you're playing RtL, but the cards and skills were mostly all designed for Overlord play. The Overlord would make the decision on which figure to attack knowing whether or not they want to use particular monster surge skills or not because most of the time it's for tactical advantages, not pure murder mayhem.

Edited by The_Han
5 hours ago, The_Han said:

Away from. It's a melee type so can generally only attack when adjacent. I say generally because it could potentially use Extend and attack up to three spaces away.

In RP terms: The bone horror attacks with it's body like a snake. A very very Very large snake consisting of bone and magical energy. When it attacks it lashes its entire being at you, sending you tumbling back (up to two spaces away).

This is thematic, but incorrect.

2 hours ago, The_Han said:

If the Bone Horror attacks a figure not adjacent, that would negate the usability of the surge. That happens in the game from time to time. Certain actions or options will make it so some surges cannot be used. In that case go to the next surge which is Pierce 2. If it rolled two surges while attacking a figure 3 spaces away, only the Pierce 2 one can be applied and the other surge goes unused.

This is just not true.

Lash can move the hero to ANY empty space within two spaces of the monster. Could be the other side of it. If the monster is attacking someone three spaces away and using Extend, they can be moved 5 spaces away from their fellows to behind it...

In Road to Legend if you click on the Skull icon above monster activations (or click on the monster in the tracker and choose Info) it will generally tell you what the monster type does with surges.

In the case of the Bone Horror, it says this:

"Master bone horrors spend {surge} in the following order: {surge}: Lash {surge}: Pierce X

Lash: Place the hero as far as possible from the closest other hero."

So that's the answer to the OP question: Place the hero as far as possible from the closest other hero.

Edited by Xyphistor
19 minutes ago, Xyphistor said:

So that's the answer to the OP question: Place the hero as far as possible from the closest other hero.

So "within the radius of 2 spaces from the monster". This makes it even scarier.

18 hours ago, Xyphistor said:

This is thematic, but incorrect.

This is just not true.

Lash can move the hero to ANY empty space within two spaces of the monster. Could be the other side of it. If the monster is attacking someone three spaces away and using Extend, they can be moved 5 spaces away from their fellows to behind it...

In Road to Legend if you click on the Skull icon above monster activations (or click on the monster in the tracker and choose Info) it will generally tell you what the monster type does with surges.

In the case of the Bone Horror, it says this:

You're right. I was reading the card and going as basic as my brain made it. You opened a world of opportunities for me while playing Overlord and using a Bone Horror. I don't tend to think of ALL the possibilities of an ability, just the initial basic concepts. Thanks for chiming in and setting everything straight.