Luke Skywalker Operative used as a Commander

By DarthRossi, in Rules

Hi all

Can you use the Luke Skywalker operative miniature as a commander?

11 hours ago, DarthRossi said:

Hi all

Can you use the Luke Skywalker operative miniature as a commander?

If your original commander is defeated during gameplay, i don't see any reason why Luke couldn't be selected as the new commander

Edited by buckero0
4 hours ago, buckero0 said:

If your original commander is defeated during gameplay, i don't see any reason why Luke couldn't be selected as the new commander.

Some say there may be some shenanigans you could pull with Cassian when he is released since he can forfeit his command.

If you use Covert Ops and have no other Commanders, you have to nominate a Corps or SF unit as your Commander. We've had the full rules for Covert Ops since the RRG update a couple months ago.

I guess the op refers to using the model of luke operative to represent commander luke on the field foe aesthetic reasons.

For what I know there is no problem doing so. Just that TESB Luke has the saber held high while ROTJ Luke has it low...

11 hours ago, toffolone said:

I guess the op refers to using the model of luke operative to represent commander luke on the field foe aesthetic reasons.

For what I know there is no problem doing so. Just that TESB Luke has the saber held high while ROTJ Luke has it low...

Sorry yes that is what i meant. I recently bought a core set but the arms for Luke were missing so instead of returning the set I was hoping to simply get the Luke operative expansion and use Jedi Luke as my commander using the cards from the core set.

The rules are a bit unclear about that but at least all major tournaments allow it (I played operative Luke model as commander Luke at the European Championship myself and nobody complained). Just make sure your opponent knows which version you are playing beforehand.

19 hours ago, DarthRossi said:

I recently bought a core set but the arms for Luke were missing

Usually you don't need to give back the whole set. You can write an email (with proof of purchase) to FFG that the arms were missing and you'll get them send to you.

34 minutes ago, Staelwulf said:

Usually you don't need to give back the whole set. You can write an email (with proof of purchase) to FFG that the arms were missing and you'll get them send to you.

Sadly, that's not a thing anymore 😔

Asmodee (FFG's parent company) recently changed their policy. All support must go through the store you purchased the box from and typically involves exchanging the entire box. (IMO, seems like a policy that was designed for board games without considering how it would impact miniatures games...)

True, totally forgot that 😢

Sadly I have already assembled and painted the rest of the rebel units before discovering the missing part. The supplier (Asmodee) won’t help so I asked the retailer but they have gone silent. Easiest thing to do would be to use the operative mini but only if allowed.

It is allowed. Page 5 of the upcoming tournament regulation sheet says:

"For units that have more than one version (such as characters that exist as both commanders and operatives), the version used must be included in parenthesis after the unit’s name. Multiple versions example: Harry is using a Rebel army in which Luke Skywalker is included as an operative. Since Luke Skywalker also exists as a commander, Harry must write “Luke Skywalker (Operative)” in his army list."

So yes you can definitely use the operative mini as the commander as long as you make it as clear as possible to your opponent.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, bllaw said:

It is allowed. Page 5 of the upcoming tournament regulation sheet says:

"For units that have more than one version (such as characters that exist as both commanders and operatives), the version used must be included in parenthesis after the unit’s name. Multiple versions example: Harry is using a Rebel army in which Luke Skywalker is included as an operative. Since Luke Skywalker also exists as a commander, Harry must write “Luke Skywalker (Operative)” in his army list."

So yes you can definitely use the operative mini as the commander as long as you make it as clear as possible to your opponent.

This paragraph regulates the army list. It just says "Luke Skywalker" is not enough information when showing your list, you need to state which version. It doesn't say anything about the used model.

Yes this is my problem, it is not stated in the official rules in such a manner. I will probably go ahead and get the miniature to use in the meantime and hope to get hold of the missing part sometime in the future. Thanks everyone for your input.

You could try a Facebook group or similar. People who bought multiple core sets might have a spare set of Luke parts

Use the right card and show or inform your opponent.

Where do you live? I have a couple of extra Luke arms from the core set. Maybe PM me if you're in the states.

Edited by buckero0

This was confirmed in the original announcement for the operatives for Luke and Vader and also confirmed by devs in Discord at the time (I believe , they confirmed somewhere, just not sure where)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/7/19/the-last-of-the-jedi/

and specifically on that page

Featuring new miniatures and command cards interchangeable with the Commander units found in the Star Wars : Legion Core Set , these units give you new ways to unleash the power of the Force on your opponents!

7 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Use the right card and show or inform your opponent.

Where do you live? I have a couple of extra Luke arms from the core set. Maybe PM me if you're in the states.

Thank you, I do live in the UK so the cost is probably quite prohibitive.

Edited by DarthRossi
2 hours ago, syrath said:

This was confirmed in the original announcement for the operatives for Luke and Vader and also confirmed by devs in Discord at the time (I believe , they confirmed somewhere, just not sure where)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/7/19/the-last-of-the-jedi/

and specifically on that page

Featuring new miniatures and command cards interchangeable with the Commander units found in the Star Wars : Legion Core Set , these units give you new ways to unleash the power of the Force on your opponents!

I emailed FFG and had an email back from Alex Davy saying it is fine so long as opponent is informed at start of game.