Non-Force Sensitive "Lightsaber" Trees

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

20 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

I'm looking at Makashi Flourish, and it doesn't really have anything to do with the force.

I'd like to reskin it, at least, and of course I've got to change the Lightsaber-Presence to Melee-Presence, but should I keep it the same, or tweak it, or completely replace it?

Also, if I do just reskin it, what should I call it? I'm currently considering Appel ( Stamping the front foot to the ground, to produce a sound to distract or startle the opponent. This may be made during an advance, or directly from an en garde position. It may precede a lunge, or be used merely as a distraction. An appel is also sometimes called a 'half-Advance'. This action may also be used to halt a bout, often by stamping the trailing foot insistently) or Balestra (A footwork preparation, consisting of a jump forwards. It is most often, but not always, immediately followed by a lunge. It is typically faster than a standard advance but generally covers a much shorter distance. The balestra may be used in order to shift the fencer into a more offensive stance or as a way of altering the tempo of the fencing phrase), but I'm more than open to suggestions.

If I should replace it, what unique Melee-Presence talent should I replace it with?

And what should I call the Makashi Technique analog?

Tapani FLourish

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Saber_rake/Legends

Makashi Duelist RAW:

Specialization skills: Charm, Cool, Coordination, Lightsaber
Grit Resist Disarm Grit Parry
|
Parry -Makashi Technique*- Duelist’s Training - Feint
| | | |
Parry - Feint - Parry Parry
| | | |
Intense Presence-Improved Parry Grit -Defensive Training
| | |
Dedication - Sum Djem* Makashi Finish* -Makashi Flourish*

Presence Melee tree:
Charm, Cool, Coordination, Melee
|
Parry - Technique - Duelist’s Training - Feint
| | | |
| | | |
Intense Presence-Improved Parry - Grit -Defensive Training
| | |
Dedication - En Garde Touche - Tapani Flourish

Touche: Perform a Touche Maneuver to add +10 equal to ranks in Charm to any critical injury rolls resulting from the next Melee-Presence combat check.

Tapani Flourish: Once per encounter, take the Tapani Flourish action; make an Average Melee-Presence check. One Engaged opponent suffers Strain equal to success, and the acting character recovers an equal amount of strain.

En Garde: Once per encounter as an Action, may select an opponent and make an Opposed Cool vs. Cool check. If the character succeeds, he reduces that target’s Melee Defense by 1, and by an additional 1 for every 2 additional Success on the roll. Triumph can be spent to upgrade the next combat check the character makes against the target twice, and 2 Advantage can be spent to add a Boost to the next combat check the character makes against the target.. A Despair result upgrades his opponent’s next combat check against the acting character twice.

Definitely looking for critiques of En Garde. Is it too powerful? Too weak? Perfect? I replaced Sum Djem since it was a force talent that had nothing really to change about it. If it'd be better, i can put it back in or replace something else with it, but I like En Garde at least in theory.

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Makashi Duelist RAW:

Specialization skills: Charm, Cool, Coordination, Lightsaber
|
Parry -Makashi Technique*- Duelist’s Training - Feint
| | | |
| | | |
Intense Presence-Improved Parry Grit -Defensive Training
| | |
Dedication - Sum Djem* Makashi Finish* -Makashi Flourish*

Presence Melee tree:
|
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
Dedication - En Garde Touche - Tapani Flourish

Touche: Perform a Touche Maneuver to add +10 equal to ranks in Charm to any critical injury rolls resulting from the next Melee-Presence combat check.

Tapani Flourish: Once per encounter, take the Tapani Flourish action; make an Average Melee-Presence check. One Engaged opponent suffers Strain equal to success, and the acting character recovers an equal amount of strain.

En Garde: Once per encounter as an Action, may select an opponent and make an Opposed Cool vs. Cool check. If the character succeeds, he reduces that target’s Melee Defense by 1, and by an additional 1 for every 2 additional Success on the roll. Triumph can be spent to upgrade the next combat check the character makes against the target twice, and 2 Advantage can be spent to add a Boost to the next combat check the character makes against the target.. A Despair result upgrades his opponent’s next combat check against the acting character twice.

Definitely looking for critiques of En Garde. Is it too powerful? Too weak? Perfect? I replaced Sum Djem since it was a force talent that had nothing really to change about it. If it'd be better, i can put it back in or replace something else with it, but I like En Garde at least in theory.

Maybe Tapani disarm as a lesser version of Sum Djem

9 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

Maybe Tapani disarm as a lesser version of Sum Djem

How do you make it lesser? All it does is reduce the Advantage cost to disarm an opponent by 1.

On 4/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

How do you make it lesser? All it does is reduce the Advantage cost to disarm an opponent by 1.

It also let's you choose where the saber lands, the normal disarm maneuver has the weapon land at the feat of the character who was disarmed so they can pick it up by spending a maneuver or an incidental if the weapon has a magnetic tether. With the talent, you can make it land anywhere in short range which increases the number o maneuvers it takes to retrieve it by one and let's the person who used the talent pick it up on the same turn by spending a maneuver. Big difference.

1 minute ago, EliasWindrider said:

It also let's you choose where the saber lands, the normal disarm maneuver has the weapon land at the feat of the character who was disarmed so they can pick it up by spending a maneuver or an incidental if the weapon has a magnetic tether. With the talent, you can make it land anywhere in short range which increases the number o maneuvers it takes to retrieve it by one and let's the person who used the talent pick it up on the same turn by spending a maneuver. Big difference.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize that. I'm still not sure how to change it though.

3 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize that. I'm still not sure how to change it though.

Make it the way you thought it was (it lands at the feat of the disarmed character and costs 1 less advantage than normal)

Just now, EliasWindrider said:

Make it the way you thought it was (it lands at the feat of the disarmed character and costs 1 less advantage than normal)

That doesn't seem like it's worth 25 XP...

I'll have to look at where to place it, what to swap it with.

1 hour ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

That doesn't seem like it's worth 25 XP...

I'll have to look at where to place it, what to swap it with.

You realize that 5xp talents like grit, toughened, parry show up.in the 25xp row frequently right?

2 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

You realize that 5xp talents like grit, toughened, parry show up.in the 25xp row frequently right?

Yes, but they usually show up lower down as well. Besides, their first appearance in the tree is very rarely in the top row.

Comparing a ranked talent to an unranked talent is a bit like comparing apples to oranges in this scenario. A better comparison would be a talent like Known Schematic, which rarely shows up above the third row, if at all (as far as I can recall).

Presence Melee tree:
|
| | | |
Disarm - Feint - Parry Parry
| | | |
| | |
Dedication - Parry Touche - Tapani Flourish

Disarm: May spend 2 Advantage or a Triumph with a successful Melee attack to disarm opponent. (The effects are identical to the standard expenditure of 3 Advantage on the "Spending Advantage and Triumph in Combat" table)

What do you think of this?

I've started running a Force Sensitive Ambassador character with the Foresee power.

Been looking at Force & Destiny for the inevitable career shift when I wondered about the use of Soresu with the Brawl skill.

The idea is to be able to use the alternative characteristic instead of the Brawn characteristic for use with unarmed combat as my character has limited training in that skill since its one of her cross class skills she gained via her race.

I need to reread this thread first though!

On 4/20/2020 at 11:34 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Err... What's a Tapani Saber Rake?

WEG edition. Tapani nobles would fence against each other in duels to resolve grievances. They made knock-off lightsabers called lightfoils. The best of them were basically Space Three Musketeers called Saber Rakes.