What would you like to see from Edge Studios?

By DangerShine Designs, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

5 minutes ago, Rithuan said:

Hi guys, Is there any official announcement?

Of?

38 minutes ago, Rithuan said:

Hi guys, Is there any official announcement?

If you're talking about from Edge, no. You can check their website and sign up for email updates, but there's been no news. Probably won't for a long while, at least until all the RPG products FFG (a Genesys book and set of books for L5R) has in the pipeline are finished and delivered.

Edge taking Star Wars RPG. Other than the Gama announcement.

4 hours ago, DreadPiratGinger said:

Well this is a somewhat tough question. Background wise, I've played AD&D, 3.0, 3.5, 4E, 5E, WFRP, Savage Worlds, Mutants and Masterminds, World of Darkness, and a host of other RPG's that I don't remember. I bring this up as it frames my perspective on this dialogue a bit.

Every RPG I have played over the past 28 years receives a new edition, or stops getting supported. I'm sure that there is no single cause to this, as the life and death of any product is complicated. Technology alone has drastically altered how these games are played. When I started, there was no Discord/Fantasy Grounds/DriveThruRPG. Heck the Super Nintendo was fairly new at the time. Now there is a world of potential and alternatives out there. Sure these games provide a unique experience, but they do compete with a host of other forms of entertainment out there that just wasn't around "back in the day". Tabletop gaming, at it's core, is still an excuse to get together and socialize, either physically or (now) virtually.

Currently, I honestly think that the best move I have ever seen a gaming company make is with D&DBeyond. I'll be the first to say that it isn't perfect, but providing an interactive, centralized, virtual location for your game system is brilliant, and I honestly think necessary in the modern era.

The best thing that EDGE could do IMO would be to try and emulate D&DBeyond. I do realized that there are rumors of some contractual problems with that (through EA and others) but that would be how I see this game not only surviving, but thriving. A nominal subscription for access and a repository for electronic versions of the product (at a reduced cost) would allow them to make a consistent income while developing product and fix any distribution problems. Physical copies could still be made for purchase, but the content would still be available globally. Errata/FAQ's and even straight rules changes could be accomplished real time, as well as it providing a ready made platform for market data/player inclination/problems.

So that's my two cents. I think just about every gaming company will need to adapt to the "digital" era or eventually die off.

If they made a Microsoft Teams / Zoom / any other meeting platform specialized for SWRPG they could blow up the market.

20 minutes ago, Rimsen said:

If they made a Microsoft Teams / Zoom / any other meeting platform specialized for SWRPG they could blow up the market.

probably. they need to get that license fixed

11 hours ago, Rithuan said:

Edge taking Star Wars RPG. Other than the Gama announcement.

I saw some interview with an Asmodee VP and he mentioned Edge studios. NM it was a GAMA interview.

Edited by Eoen

If there aren't any copyright issues involved, I'd be for seeing some old WEG stuff reprinted in an official FFG format. It's something I plan to do for myself anyway, but I wouldn't mind farming that out to professional game designers.

11 minutes ago, Balorna said:

If there aren't any copyright issues involved, I'd be for seeing some old WEG stuff reprinted in an official FFG format. It's something I plan to do for myself anyway, but I wouldn't mind farming that out to professional game designers.

Would also love that. Anything particular you would want to see?

The Elrood Sector stuff, Lords of the Expanses, and Black Sands of Socorro. Tales of the Jedi and Pirates would be cool also. I would also like to see suggestions for converting some of the old templates into FFG.

1 hour ago, Balorna said:

Well the did a 30th anniversery WEG core. So i am sure copyright is not an issue.

I think as the license holders they have access to the old material.

Disney stopped allowing reprints of Old Republic stuff in France years ago. Disney is perfectly capable of being bad enough to block reprints. Still, I'd like to see reprints and Classic Adventures: Volume Six (since it makes more sense than reprinting many of the adventures on their own). Full digital catalog release in 2023 if Disney isn't dumb enough to renew EA's agreement (****, I'd like to see some kind of agreement with WotC for digital release of the stuff from there).

Aside from that, I'd like to see them ignore the Disney canon as much as possible. That should be easy, see as Disney ignores it plenty...

Edited by NanashiAnon
9 hours ago, NanashiAnon said:

Disney stopped allowing reprints of Old Republic stuff in France years ago. Disney is perfectly capable of being bad enough to block reprints. Still, I'd like to see reprints and Classic Adventures: Volume Six (since it makes more sense than reprinting many of the adventures on their own). Full digital catalog release in 2023 if Disney isn't dumb enough to renew EA's agreement (****, I'd like to see some kind of agreement with WotC for digital release of the stuff from there).

Aside from that, I'd like to see them ignore the Disney canon as much as possible. That should be easy, see as Disney ignores it plenty...

they dont need WotCs permission. they get access to all old RPG stuff with the license. Hence how Sterling Hershey got paid for the work he did for the Far Orbit project maps by FFG

I'd like to see some EU conversions or even new stuff with EU not Disney stuff. I think even FFG was hesitant to do any Disney stuff that wasn't directly in an OG era like how there are two prequel books and like two pre-ANH books but exactly zero (save the one beginner book) sequel trilogy books. Probably because trying to make sense of that setting is a hassle and probably not worth it.

Of course I guess it's up to Disney, so whatever.

2 hours ago, Ricky Olie said:

I'd like to see some EU conversions or even new stuff with EU not Disney stuff. I think even FFG was hesitant to do any Disney stuff that wasn't directly in an OG era like how there are two prequel books and like two pre-ANH books but exactly zero (save the one beginner book) sequel trilogy books. Probably because trying to make sense of that setting is a hassle and probably not worth it.

Of course I guess it's up to Disney, so whatever.

it's not that they were hesitant, until recently, disney had locked all sequel era content apart from a few comics until they had finished the sequels

On 3/25/2020 at 4:50 AM, HappyDaze said:

Another thing I'd like to see in a 2e, and this goes along with the revision to a less-hits-but more-meaningful-hits combat, is fewer critical injuries but more meaningful ones. With the current rules, spending the Adv/Triumph to get a Critical Injury on an opponent feels pretty crappy when the d% roll comes up low. It's even worse when it happens over and over again. You shouldn't need to stack multiple levels of Lethal Blows, Vicious, or tons of Advantage to be able to get a nasty critical in a single hit. Also, base modifier for critical hits set by Damage of weapon - all else being equal, rifles should do nastier criticals than pistols.

This sounds a bit too much like rocket tag. Especially combined with your suggestion that they focus on avoiding hits instead of soak.

I think the best way to get something that feels more like what you're looking for is to leave the system as-is but fluff out your narrative description of wounds as shots that narrowly miss. If you focus too much on dodging and avoidance it will increase the randomness/variance in combat outcomes to the point where it's all luck and GMs can't do a good job of planning out challenge levels.

1 hour ago, DaverWattra said:

This sounds a bit too much like rocket tag. Especially combined with your suggestion that they focus on avoiding hits instead of soak.

I think the best way to get something that feels more like what you're looking for is to leave the system as-is but fluff out your narrative description of wounds as shots that narrowly miss. If you focus too much on dodging and avoidance it will increase the randomness/variance in combat outcomes to the point where it's all luck and GMs can't do a good job of planning out challenge levels.

IMO, rocket tag is preferable to big bag of hit points.

Narrowly missing doesn't make sense when stimpacks and Medicine checks speed your "recovery" from being narrowly missed.

24 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

IMO, rocket tag is preferable to big bag of hit points.

Narrowly missing doesn't make sense when stimpacks and Medicine checks speed your "recovery" from being narrowly missed.

Depending on the armor the character is wearing (Mandalorian armor offers more protection than heavy clothing, for example), I'll narrate successful attacks as grazes or as hits largely absorbed by the armor. Interestingly, this narrative style actually accounts for the "easier to hit" bit about heavy armors vs. light armors. With the heavier armor, they take more square hits but those hits don't do all that much. With light armors, they may "dodge" the hit, "only being grazed," but with the lighter protection, that "graze" is much more damaging. Narratively, that same sort of hit (grazing the shoulder) would be a narrative description of the shoulder plate of Mandalorian armor deflecting the bolt with its Defense.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:41 PM, Balorna said:

The Elrood Sector stuff, Lords of the Expanses, and Black Sands of Socorro. Tales of the Jedi and Pirates would be cool also. I would also like to see suggestions for converting some of the old templates into FFG.

Honestly, I'd love to see sourcebooks about the Minos Sector, Elrood Sector, Kathol Expanse, and the Tapani Expanse all updated to NuCanon.

I mean it's unfortunate that I would need to ask for it, since there was already a book designed for it, but how about a better version of Gadgets and Gear?

Gadgets and Gear was supposed to be a compiling of everything from all of the source books so far, but is missing quite a few items and also lacks completely necessary weapon/armor comparison charts.

56 minutes ago, Shawnacy said:

I mean it's unfortunate that I would need to ask for it, since there was already a book designed for it, but how about a better version of Gadgets and Gear?

Gadgets and Gear was supposed to be a compiling of everything from all of the source books so far, but is missing quite a few items and also lacks completely necessary weapon/armor comparison charts.

I'd rather see new content, there are enough sites on the net & fanmade spreadsheets to compensate this particular grievance

14 minutes ago, MB -Fr- said:

I'd rather see new content, there are enough sites on the net & fanmade spreadsheets to compensate this particular grievance

That's also acceptable.

Any personal recommendations?

2 minutes ago, Shawnacy said:

That's also acceptable.

Any personal recommendations?

for new content, more era books: old republic, sequel era now it's open (I didn't like sequels but that's me and has no import on rpg), interquels (more on the rise of the empire era and new republic era mandalorian time period), more clone wars (my fav era with rise of the empire), hopefully some day a jar'kai spec, an imperial focused book (AoR is easily adapted into one but would be nice nevertheless)

if you need comparison and gear listing: there's a spreadsheet floating somewhere (I got it from reddit r/swrpg) and I use https://star-wars-rpg-ffg.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_RPG_(FFG)_Wiki

I’d be all over a High Rebublic sourcebook. Make it so.

1 hour ago, Fandabidozi said:

I’d be all over a High Rebublic sourcebook. Make it so.

Now I'm picturing a short, hairy Canadian Jedi with three short lightsaber blades extending from the knuckles of each hand while wearing a red Star Trek TNG uniform.