What would you like to see from Edge Studios?

By DangerShine Designs, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

I think "reprints" may be at the top of a lot of people's wishlist's but with the line having generally been considered pretty complete under FFG's stewardship, with the move to a new publisher I'm curious what expansions or accessories people would like to see from Edge Studio ?

For me, it would be:

1. Era books - a Mandalorian Era and a ST Era sourcebook would be awesome and I personally loved how Collapse of the Republic and Rise of the Separatists acted as bookends, would be interesting to see that 30-year period from the start and end.

2. More Adversary cards - I use these a lot as my players often pull the adventure in different directions and these cards have been awesome for helping me keep things flowing and not slowing stuff down by just pulling out an NPC on the fly.

3. Adventures Compendiums - I have never run an adventure "as is" but I have always enjoyed reading them and they are very useful to mine for inspiration and I would like to see a couple of compendiums, similar to how WEG did it (and how Modiphius are putting out their Star Trek Adventures compendiums). Would be awesome to have (say) a series of adventures around themes - Outer Rim, Clone War, GCW, etc.

what else?

2e. It's the only way to bring in enough money to keep it alive.

10 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Just curious why you think that? I know it's a year old and a lot has happened since then but this data suggests that it was doing well a year ago , is there something I've missed that would support your perspective that it's not been selling well enough to be able to survive without a 2e?

Assuming you are right, what would you like to see added or changed in a new edition?

Screen_Shot_2019-02-27_at_2.52.06_PM.jpg

For a second edition, the only thing I'd really like to see reworked is vehicle combat.

However, I really don't want to see a second edition.
1) I really like what we have now.
2) I want to be able to get the rest of the books (reprints please!). I have a pretty small book-buying budget, and I don't want to either start from scratch or pay ridiculous prices for the books I need to finish the line I have.
3) I don't want to start from scratch and get the same stuff over again. I want them to expand on what we have. (Perhaps issue a revised core rulebook to go along with existing supplements, sort of like a version 1b)
4) If they have a second edition, you'll probably have a lot of people like me who don't want to buy in (though if I heard the vehicle combat was good, I might pick up a CRB [see 3]), and you would probably end up with divisions in the player base regarding which line to go with.

1 hour ago, DangerShine Designs said:

1. Era books - a Mandalorian Era and a ST Era sourcebook would be awesome and I personally loved how Collapse of the Republic and Rise of the Separatists acted as bookends, would be interesting to see that 30-year period from the start and end.

I'd be interested in a "Mandalorian Era" book, but that'd be it. I've pretty much checked out of the Sequel Trilogy Era sadly. Would not surprise me very much if they did something like that though, but I'd bet that the Early New Republic Era ends up being treated like the Battle of Naboo Era in RotS. A supplement for the decade or so after Endor would be nice world-building, but I doubt we'd get it until after The Mandalorian show finishes.

8 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

For a second edition, the only thing I'd really like to see reworked is vehicle combat.

Totally agree.

47 minutes ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

However, I really don't want to see a second edition.
1) I really like what we have now.
2) I want to be able to get the rest of the books (reprints please!). I have a pretty small book-buying budget, and I don't want to either start from scratch or pay ridiculous prices for the books I need to finish the line I have.
3) I don't want to start from scratch and get the same stuff over again. I want them to expand on what we have. (Perhaps issue a revised core rulebook to go along with existing supplements, sort of like a version 1b)
4) If they have a second edition, you'll probably have a lot of people like me who don't want to buy in (though if I heard the vehicle combat was good, I might pick up a CRB [see 3]), and you would probably end up with divisions in the player base regarding which line to go with.

I'd be interested in a "Mandalorian Era" book, but that'd be it. I've pretty much checked out of the Sequel Trilogy Era sadly. Would not surprise me very much if they did something like that though, but I'd bet that the Early New Republic Era ends up being treated like the Battle of Naboo Era in RotS. A supplement for the decade or so after Endor would be nice world-building, but I doubt we'd get it until after The Mandalorian show finishes.

I would like and expanded players guide. It can have updated compiled vehicles rules based on Genesys changes. ! Dont see a need for a 2e.

28 minutes ago, Daeglan said:

I would like and expanded players guide. It can have updated compiled vehicles rules based on Genesys changes. ! Dont see a need for a 2e.

would agree completely - a "player handbook" with adjusted rules for vehicles would be great. Also not sure what a 2e would bring us as this is a pretty robust system.

I feel a 2e will kill the game its not like D&D and you can get 3to6 books and have all you need the rules are far to spread out

add in how bad they are at keeping the stuff in print I cant see a true 2e being good now a 1.5 may work

just make a new core in 2 parts one with player stuff one with rule crunch for GMs

2 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

Just curious why you think that? I know it's a year old and a lot has happened since then but this data suggests that it was doing well a year ago , is there something I've missed that would support your perspective that it's not been selling well enough to be able to survive without a 2e?

Assuming you are right, what would you like to see added or changed in a new edition?

A combat system based on avoiding a hit over soaking damage with a thick coat of wounds.

Better ways of handling stun apart from strain (talent fuel).

Vehicle combat needs a total rewrite with better scaling rules, especially for the lowest (2-3) and highest (6+) silhouettes. Again, something that makes avoiding hits more reasonable for maneuverable units.

Fewer but more powerful talents with advancement. I'd rather have a small number of meaningful talents instead of a few dozen tiny tricks.

Probably a lot more that aren't at the front of my mind right now.

Almost every time I've seen someone elaborate on the idea for a Second Edition, myself included, it's more of a single Revised Edition core book that imports some ideas from Genesys, tweaks a couple of things, and is a single book to enter from (instead of having to pick from Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, or Force and Destiny). You may ask, why not just call it a Revised Edition then? Eh, that's when you start getting into semantics. Calling it a Revised Edition would be better, but Second Edition just happens to be a term that's going around (maybe partially because of X-Wing's Second Edition), and it's not necessarily inaccurate (a First and Second Edition can have compatible elements, like some tokens in X-Wing, and Genesys and Star Wars are two different games that are mostly compatible).

Otherwise I agree, the game does not need one at all from the perspective of any sort of significant overhaul.

I'd definitely want to see more setting books, the Sequel Trilogy and the Mandalorian are obvious ones. Other than that, I haven't gotten to play enough to know what else I might be interested in.

Edited by Jokubas

I want a Corporate Sector sourcebook.

9 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

A combat system based on avoiding a hit over soaking damage with a thick coat of wounds.

Better ways of handling stun apart from strain (talent fuel).

Vehicle combat needs a total rewrite with better scaling rules, especially for the lowest (2-3) and highest (6+) silhouettes. Again, something that makes avoiding hits more reasonable for maneuverable units.

Fewer but more powerful talents with advancement. I'd rather have a small number of meaningful talents instead of a few dozen tiny tricks.

Probably a lot more that aren't at the front of my mind right now.

Well based on the media this property is based on that is how the combat system should work.

I'd also like to see the aforementioned Corporate Sector and Sequel Trilogy books.
More setting books in general, be it location based like Corporate Sector, or 'environment' setting: e.g. a Horror Supplement, an Intrigue Supplement, etc.
Expanded Player Handbook sounds good to me, too.
Expanded crafting guide: Starships, vehicles, weapons, droids.
Expanded versions of each of the three Encounters articles planned for Star Wars Gamer: Alien Encounters, Cult Encounters, Supernatural Encounters.
I'd also like an Imperial Sourcebook, and eventually a High Republic Sourcebook.

I know this is far-fetched, but I'd also like to see them do some 'Legends' sourcebooks. Even slap the label on them if they have to.
New Jedi Order Sourcebook, KOTOR Era Sourcebook, Legacy Era Sourcebook, Jedi Academy, etc, etc...

I'll pre-order all of the above. lol

I think an Expanded Players Guide with updated rules, particularly vehicle rules, would be excellent.

Otherwise:

Post-RotJ era Sourcebook covering The Mandalorian

ST era Sourcebook

Alien anthology with an index of current species and new species with tables for alien name generators

A book similar to the Revised Edition Galactic Campaign Guide

The new High Republic era sourcebook

Expanded Career/Specialization options per line. This would be a sourcebook for each line, EotE, F&D, and AoR that adds new careers and/or specializations to the existing in one book.

More adventures. Perhaps a Yawning Portal-type book with several adventures in it.

Another thing I'd like to see in a 2e, and this goes along with the revision to a less-hits-but more-meaningful-hits combat, is fewer critical injuries but more meaningful ones. With the current rules, spending the Adv/Triumph to get a Critical Injury on an opponent feels pretty crappy when the d% roll comes up low. It's even worse when it happens over and over again. You shouldn't need to stack multiple levels of Lethal Blows, Vicious, or tons of Advantage to be able to get a nasty critical in a single hit. Also, base modifier for critical hits set by Damage of weapon - all else being equal, rifles should do nastier criticals than pistols.

18 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

FFG wouldn't get anymore of my money for a 2e.. the D&D 4e fiasco was bad enough.. I had a TON of 3.5 stuff OK it was a 'bit' clunky but we enjoyed it (my gaming group) then we shifted to PFRPG... we avoided 4e and all i have for 5e is the 3 core, Strahd and Annihilation.. I am not giving Hasbor anymore of my cash.

I ditched Xwing with 2e news..all I've done for FFG since the RPG lay off news was grab 3 extra sets of dice as spares in case dice get lost in the future.

I understand they're a business and have to make money but new editions just take the p***.

1 hour ago, HappyDaze said:

Another thing I'd like to see in a 2e, and this goes along with the revision to a less-hits-but more-meaningful-hits combat, is fewer critical injuries but more meaningful ones. With the current rules, spending the Adv/Triumph to get a Critical Injury on an opponent feels pretty crappy when the d% roll comes up low. It's even worse when it happens over and over again. You shouldn't need to stack multiple levels of Lethal Blows, Vicious, or tons of Advantage to be able to get a nasty critical in a single hit. Also, base modifier for critical hits set by Damage of weapon - all else being equal, rifles should do nastier criticals than pistols.

You (or we as a community) could home brew this and test it, maybe?

Rifle vs Pistols... how about a nastier crit for rifle at short range,,but equal to a pistol at extreme end of medium range?

Edited by DidntFallAsleep66

1. Reprints to make them quick money (my EotE book is starting to fall apart and I'm missing 2? books for my collection).

2. Continuation of the black series with at least a career book. It would be nice to have a rules only black book. Possibly a referee and player version to make them smaller?

3. Continuation and support of the Foundry to make them free money (I know that's not for SW, but this forum sees much more volume then Genesys).

- A comprehensive planet/species guide that includes PC stats for each species.

I honestly think I'd be OK with just this... But I'm always down for more region books such as the aforementioned Corporate Sector (that could include stats for the IRD fighters).

Also, I agree an "Expanded Player's Guide" with optional Genesys-based rules would be pretty great.

...oh and one more thing. EDGE if you are listening, can you edit your website from saying, "We dream with unexplored worlds", to "We dream of unexplored worlds"? I think that is your intention because it makes much more sense. And it would lessen my worries regarding your English-language editors. 😄

I don't want a 2nd Edition. I won't buy it, as the current Edition will support my Star Wars gaming needs for decades to come.

That being said, I'd like an entire supplement covering vehicle combat and encounters, with an improved combat system. I believe we all agreed that this is an area that needs to be reworked.

The book could have a slew of modular encounters as well as tips for differing terrain.

The combat rules could even be listed as "Optional/Alternate" vehicle combat rules.

Oh, and more region/sector books!

1 hour ago, salamar_dree said:

I don't want a 2nd Edition. I won't buy it, as the current Edition will support my Star Wars gaming needs for decades to come.

Everyone says such when "their" version goes out, but there are always enough that buy into the next version. Many holdouts eventually buy in too, and if they don't, so what?

I would be less interested in a 2nd ed. reprint effort where we get all the old stuff with new, tweaked stats. But, a 2nd ed. supporting an entirely different setting -- like High Republic era , Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars era (possibly unlikely due to the Rise of the Separatists & Collapse of the Republic books), pre-ANH Galactic Civil War era (possibly unlikely due to the Dawn of Rebellion book), Sequel Trilogy/Resistance era (building on the TFA Starter set), Rian Johnson Trilogy era , or even non-canon stuff like (Kot)Old Republic era or whatever -- is something I would very much get behind 😎

At the top of my list would be a High Republic edition of the FFG SW RPG (or rather EDGE SW RPG, or whatever), exploring the new setting in tandem with the books and comics (and, I assume, eventual TV-shows & Films & video games), much like how WEG SW released novels & comics companion books back in the day. That'd be sweeeeeeet! 😁

Edited by angelman2

I could see doing a 2nd edition the same way they did for X-wing. Issue a new main book, and an "upgrade" book, which tells how to adjust all the previous books. Then at least you aren't buying everything again.