Screaming into the Void: An Apt Title for an FO-centered Blog

By Hoarder of Garlic Bread, in X-Wing Battle Reports

What supernatural kylo list would you recommend starting off with? I've been playing boba koshka for a while and have wanted to switch over to super-kylo.

46 minutes ago, Brien5723 said:

What supernatural kylo list would you recommend starting off with? I've been playing boba koshka for a while and have wanted to switch over to super-kylo.

Kylo Ren (76)
Supernatural Reflexes (24)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 104 Half Points: 52 Threshold: 3

"Quickdraw" (47)
Fanatical (2)
Special Forces Gunner (9)
Fire-Control System (2)

Ship total: 60 Half Points: 30 Threshold: 3

Lieutenant Rivas (27)
Ship total: 27 Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

Total: 191

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=First Order&d=v8ZsZ200Z236X74W186WWY243X181WWW182W113WY265XW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Jam Rivas up as a blocker, and either flank with Quickdraw somewhere Kylo is not flanking, or just shove her in super agressive against the enemy I6. 9 pt bid is deep enough to move after most I6 bidders, and against some moving after you, you're not screwed. If you're jamming Quickdraw, use Rivas' I1 as a screen so you can complete the maneuver. Even if you don't block the I6, Quickdraw is an excellent trade piece with great Zwungzwang effects: even Fenn Rau at Range 1 having spent focus on offense has a bad day to this Quickdraw thanks to 2 double modded 4 dice attacks. Grabbing Soontir and taking him hostage with Quickdraw or going down with Wedge in glorious flames is great. Even if you're not up on points from trading QD for an I6, positionally you will be up on points.

Rivas is essentially an Epsilon that has Vessery's ability. He's 27 pt of distraction from your hitters, an annoying blocker, and often gets free locks that very much matter.

Once Fanatical, Quickdraw can still roll and have full mods, evade to turtle up, or Segnor's Loop and not tank DPS. Don't forget that rear-arc too, if you want to swivel that turret on a flyby. Heck, sometimes SF Gunner's bonus attack is worth it when you're shieldless and in a sandwich, especially with all actions linked to rotate notwithstanding certain crits.

Optics are the least flashy tech on Kylo, but they're very adaptable and consistent for only 4 pt. I wrote a post a while back (click the link that says "all the blog posts" on the home page in desktop) explaining why Optics on 1 force are so much better than lock. That and it greatly weakens the feelsbad of moving first if you're shots are always double modded. Soontir and Face have to decline the joust now, which you can use to your advantage by camping with the roll back and the hard 1 in.

My ticket to World's with the list (and 2nd time I was runner up to a Hyperspace Trial, albeit this one tiny from NOVA being the same weekend): https://listfortress.com/tournaments/1034 .

My performance at World's (made a judgement error in Game 7 by a millimeter, and subsequently loss to my deserved bad variance, thereby missing cut): https://listfortress.com/tournaments/1251

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

Thank you for the awesomely detailed reply! I'm going to try to start flying this list tonight. I haven't used advanced optics on Kylo before, but I'm excited to have the double mods on I6's without needing a lock. At the last texas system open I was able to use kylo to bully and pressure a few fenn raus, but was unable to finish either of them. Having a double mod for the first engage against them most likely would have let me finish them.

I think it's awesome you made worlds with this list, I'm stoked to practice with it!

Edited by Brien5723
52 minutes ago, RoockieBoy said:

Good job! I‘ve been playing Kylo/Holo/Vonreg for some time, but wanted to try the Xi shuttle with terex crew. I’ll follow your thoughts and use Gideon instead of a basic one, you’ve proved its worth.

Yeah...the FO Courier is an I2 coordinate, no talent if you're the sort to put Fanatical on a shuttle, and only 1 pt cheaper than a Reaper? Unless you're afraid of getting blocked, which Terrex doesn't care about, Gideon should be considered the basic Xi shuttle.

18 hours ago, Ryuneke said:

I'm looking foward trying Kylo this way as well. So sad we can't use Supernatural+EM ;)

If you could, it wouldn't be that much more effective than Supernatural by itself, especially if you used both the same turn to force starve for that turn. Supernat Kylo can already knife fight, but his real strength lies in speeding through different options.

1 hour ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Maybe the advocates of drinking during X-Wing are on to something:

https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/11/12/the-regrettable-update/

I think a fair amount of us have been in the same sort of mindset after an event like that. Take the break if you find you need it...purposefully avoid the knee-jerk X-Wing content consumption you might normally do. You'll likely come back refreshed.

At a tournament.... I once flew duchess off board ... twice .... 😩

1 hour ago, gennataos said:

I think a fair amount of us have been in the same sort of mindset after an event like that. Take the break if you find you need it...purposefully avoid the knee-jerk X-Wing content consumption you might normally do. You'll likely come back refreshed.

I've avoided the forums aside from this thread and checked Discord twice this week. I'm taking a break from the talking about the game, but I still aim for the tourney this weekend. Even if I don't do well, the social aspect of X-Wing is one of the best aspects.

Reading your blogpost was really interesting. I can absolutely understand every word you're writing because I feel the same atm. The last games I played I flew horrible, did lots of avoidable mistakes and felt like I've never played this game before. It's really demoralizing.

Sitting in front of the PC "moving" ships around is by far not the same experience I get when playing in real life. Like you I'm really tired of playing online but on the other hand right now the covid situation is pretty bad in germany so there won't be any real life tournaments for quite some time. ****, I can't even meet my best friend. Therefore if I want to play X-Wing I have to do it online...

Something you shouldn't forget and this helped me at least: Playing Kylo/Vonreg in a 2 ship list is one of the most difficult archetypes you can fly atm. If you're not paying attention and playing flawless all the time you will get punished and lose. Other lists forgive small errors - ours do not. Therefore I think it is ok if you fail hard at a tournament flying this...

Great write up!

Edited by JBFancourt