Screaming into the Void: An Apt Title for an FO-centered Blog

By Hoarder of Garlic Bread, in X-Wing Battle Reports

Back to Vassal, because that's where the games are now! I field Kylo, Vonreg, and Muse against 4 ship Republic salad, and then I get excited about the glory of Advanced Optics in combat, jabber about a discontinued Halo miniatures game in an image caption, and postulate why I will always suck as Republic in the current Hyperspace. https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/03/25/the-quarantine-zone-a-vassal-state/

Edited by Hoarder of Garlic Bread

Disaster strikes! I lose Holo in an unlikely freak accident to some Rebel Scum on an opening engagement! Can his filler comrades enact vengeance on their leader's slayer? I'm not going to sugarcoat the obvious game lost to a slight gamble that was trying to setup thinking ahead, but it's at least some good practice for efficiency pieces. And it's here that I find out that I suck at efficiency and at least partially why!

https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/03/27/the-quarantine-zone-how-long-can-efficiency-last-when-they-lose-their-closer/

50 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Congrats, FO Mark! ;)

Validation from Resistance Mark! Yay!

I had to give it a try, only had fly casual though. This list is difficult, and it feels like the sky's the limit! Congratulations on playing it so well!

On 8/11/2020 at 1:01 PM, 5050Saint said:

Great write up, and congrats! I plan on running your list this weekend as it looks pretty dang fun.

How'd it go?

13 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

How'd it go?

First game was terrible, but that was against @gennataos flying Rey, Xixi, Talli with a 5 point bid, so they were all moving after me. It was... rough. The A's are near impossible to pin down if you moving before them, and Rey punches like a truck and with Title is a large base ship that always has boost available, so Holo bit it quick. Tavson also got halved super quick to a 5 hit Proton Rocket and a regular A-Wing shot. All that damage was traded for half on Xixi, and a few into Rey.

Other games were much more fun. Against Wedge, Luke, Thane, and AP-5, which I barely won, but it was tons of fun to play against. Tavson and Holo are best buddies. Tavson always coordinates to Holo to maximize what tokens can be tossed, and to make Tavvy more tempting to shoot. Kylo just does Kylo things from the flank.

Third game was against @MidWestScrub , flying Han, Old T, and Guri. He has been challenging himself to play Guri moving first, otherwise I probably would have lost against him, but even moving first, he can run a master course in blocking with Guri, since she can be anywhere. Holo and Tavson buddied up again. Fortunately, Old T's ability triggered first so when Kylo got in Range 1 to trade shots with him, Holo was able to toss the evade after Old T would have detokened any green tokens. The big take away from this match is that Han still sucks.

Your list is fun an challenging, as long as the entirely of the other list isn't aces moving after you.

Edited by 5050Saint
On 8/14/2020 at 3:53 PM, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Dormitz will always be bad, because his ability encourages poor and impatient play. It's actually better for FO players that he's unusable than for those whom he would play against:

https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/08/14/costs-cant-fix-everything-even-an-erratad-and-cheap-dormitz-is-a-bad-investment/

I mean, you're not wrong that taking Dormitz is almost always a mistake.

But I'd still prefer to see an errata to stop at least large-base forward deploy, and have prices be more correct. There's lot of bad stuff in this game that doesn't get priced out of existence to trick players into not taking it.

55 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Your list is fun an challenging, as long as the entirely of the other list isn't aces moving after you.

Fun for one! Fun for one!

;)

Despite embarrassing myself the hardest ever during a stream game, I have had a good run. The batrep of a 4-2 run a few MOV short of cut, all with the haunting memory of a tragically poorly-played stress game autopsied in depth:

https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/08/25/corellia-a-good-run-overall-but-a-catastrophic-failure-midway/

On the brightside, I'll never be drafted to play on Gold Squadron's stream again, right?

11 hours ago, Hoarder of Garlic Bread said:

Despite embarrassing myself the hardest ever during a stream game, I have had a good run. The batrep of a 4-2 run a few MOV short of cut, all with the haunting memory of a tragically poorly-played stress game autopsied in depth:

https://hoarderofgarlicbread.wordpress.com/2020/08/25/corellia-a-good-run-overall-but-a-catastrophic-failure-midway/

On the brightside, I'll never be drafted to play on Gold Squadron's stream again, right?

Good run. As luck would have it, I was paired with Ian in the Renegades Prequel tourney/league last night. I did something kind of similar, but probably worse. I took Finn off the board for nothing. Then, instead of sticking to the plan of "safety first", I got greedy and tried to do the same to Rose, failed, then wound up scrambling to make up for the blunder.

Sometimes I think even worse than having a plan and being punched in the face is:

• Having a plan
  • Punching someone in the face
    • Gaining 10,000 hubris points
  • Ignoring plan
  • Losing

[edit] - Oh! And this quote really stuck out in my head against a list like Ian's: " even when you score an early lead on it, it is such a slog to go through and to eliminate the pieces." It's so true. There are still too many pieces there to just start diving in and punching.

Edited by gennataos
3 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Good run. As luck would have it, I was paired with Ian in the Renegades Prequel tourney/league last night. I did something kind of similar, but probably worse. I took Finn off the board for nothing. Then, instead of sticking to the plan of "safety first", I got greedy and tried to do the same to Rose, failed, then wound up scrambling to make up for the blunder.

Sometimes I think even worse than having a plan and being punched in the face is:

• Having a plan
  • Punching someone in the face
    • Gaining 10,000 hubris points
  • Ignoring plan
  • Losing

[edit] - Oh! And this quote really stuck out in my head against a list like Ian's: " even when you score an early lead on it, it is such a slog to go through and to eliminate the pieces." It's so true. There are still too many pieces there to just start diving in and punching.

Yeah, my game with Ian now puts me at 2-2 against the list. With the efficient statlines and typically strong defensive reroll/add abilities, they can live much longer than Rebel Beef. People sleep on it because it's not a flashy or new list and this entire forum is a sensationalist cluster****, lol.