Surges

By Dcoles, in Rules

I have seen that the aggressive tactics card is a recommended upgrade for general grievous. This was to allow B1 droids to gain surges.

However, as they do not have a surge conversion chart. I do not know how they can use the surge. Can anyone enlighten me?

While the droid unit (or i guess any unit with a surge token) performs an attack, after dice have been rolled, they may use each surge token to turn one dice result with a surge symbol to a hit.

eg. I rolled 6 dice, showing 1 hit, 3 surges and 2 blanks. If I had 2 surge tokens I could use them both to turn 2 surge results into hits, having a total of 3 hits, 1 surge and 2 blanks.

Similarly, you can use them while defending. If you roll surge symbols while defending, you can use each token to turn one result into a block.

On 2/21/2020 at 11:59 AM, Dcoles said:

I have seen that the aggressive tactics card is a recommended upgrade for general grievous. This was to allow B1 droids to gain surges.

However, as they do not have a surge conversion chart. I do not know how they can use the surge. Can anyone enlighten me?

I think you fell under the common misconception that surge Tokens CREATE surge results. They do not. They let you CONVERT surge results on your rolled dice. That means, surge tokens are most effective on units without surge converts (droids, clones).

A surge token let you flip a die with a surge on it to a hit or a block, depending on if it's an attack or defense die. It's much less useful to a unit that surges to block, hit, or crit naturally. Those units can flip all surges to that result every time.

Thanks for the replies, I understand it now.