First test battle report video

By manoftomorrow010, in Battle Reports

This is a proof of concept type video from me, where I wanted to visualize ideas I had for filming battles in a more interesting way. I hope to make more in the future, with the cooperation of my local players group.

EDIT: Here are more thoughts that I shared with my league players.

This video idea came from a combination of things that I like and dislike about battle videos online. So I had a clear vision of what I wanted to attempt to accomplish, and I think my fellow player and I did quite well in that regard.

I don't like watching videos with a static top-down view from 30,000 feet. I feel like I can't see what's going on, and it feels very stale. I also don't like recaps or highlights. So, I wanted a view that could show off the paint jobs on your minis, and show off your terrain; view the battle almost from your minis' perspective.

Of course, this needs to be balanced, and that's one thing I learned from this video. That, while I love the tighter, lower angles, more overall views at times would help reorient the viewer to the state of the battlefield.

Also, some things that were cut included Coop and I introducing ourselves. I cut those just for personal reasons: I hated seeing myself in that video, and would prefer to include a more natural intro, like chilling on a couch together, saying hi, and playing off one another. We recorded ourselves individually just standing, which was awkward.

Anyway, this style of video may be more conducive for players that want to be casual and maybe come up with a "narrative" point of view. I've already thought of the possibility of telling the story of a game from 1 unit's perspective, on each side, in a movie-like fashion.

But, this was a trial run! And while I already have a time-intensive hobby/video series for another game online, this was just a step into making fun videos for legion.

Edited by manoftomorrow010