Stress rules

By KelYco, in Rules Questions

Hi,

I would need your opinion on a houserule based on a stress level as Alien Rpg.

To make it short with Alien Rpg, each time you take a stress level up, you add a D6 for your pool dices. So in a way, you increase your chance of success (having a 6 is a success) but also, due to stress you increase your chances to panic by making a 1 on this stress D6.

if you have a level 2 of stress you add 2D6 etc...

i would like to adapt this mechanic to Genesys by this proposition:

Stress level 1:

option houserule 1: adding a boost die and upgrading the difficulty die by one and spend also 2 strains. (The despair probability represents a kind of panic)

option 2 houserule: instead of adding a boost die, I upgrade my ability die by one and still upgrade the difficulty die+2 strains

stress level 2: add 2 boost dice, upgrade difficulty dice by 2, 2 more strain.

Tks for your feedback and suggestions

Quick question: Have you already regarded the fear and sanity rules starting on p. 242 of the Core Rulebook yet?

Yes and it is interesting too. I ve just bought the Skills guide too and the “Keep your cool” check is an other option.

however I was thinking about some stressful situations where the PC can decide (without a cool or fear check) to push his roll and take more risk by adding voluntary boost dice or upgrading ability dice. Due to the bigger risk taken, the chance to have a despair increases too and it costs also 2 strains to push his roll.

from a balance point of view, I was wondering if this pushing your roll mechanics was ok.

Don't try to replicate other game's mechanics , replicate their story, lore and feel .

This seems to be adding mechanics for the sake of adding mechanics. I would highly recommend just using the fear rules instead. That's what they represent: acting in spite of your fear. Specifically, the Adrenaline Rush result captures this pretty well: add a boost die to your next check but suffer 3 strain.

ok i will consider your advices. Thank you.

Using loss of Strain and fear checks (which can give setback iirc), already in the rules, I think is the way to go here.