Do you remember this from Legends or Canon?

By Leia Hourglass, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Do any of you recall reading a Star Wars book (Legends or Canon) where you recall them implying or downright stating something that could NOT be achieved with current science and technology

I can only think of instances where this happened retroactively. Like, there’s always technological innovations and improvements, but never “we aren’t about to do this yet.” At last not to my recollection.

Perhaps there’s something with completely alien technology, like with the yuuzhan Vong or Vuffi Ra, or the Celestials, where the characters mention something about advanced science.

Edited by awayputurwpn

I can think of a couple examples (not well enough to name them) where something was referenced as "impossible," but it was always promptly done.

Thing is, most of the crazy technological things have already been done, even thousands of years prior. We know of civilizations that had far superior technology, thinking of things like the Gree, or even the Rakatan infinite Empire. It comes in waves and has done for goodness knows how long in the SW universe. It develops then almost goes dark age in comparison.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:20 PM, Leia Hourglass said:

Do any of you recall reading a Star Wars book (Legends or Canon) where you recall them implying or downright stating something that could NOT be achieved with current science and technology

IIRC, pre-TLJ it had always been stated that there was no way to track or communicate with a ship in hyperspace, goes back to @P-47 Thunderbolt 's comment about things being called "impossible" just so that they can get changed :P

3 hours ago, DangerShine Designs said:

IIRC, pre-TLJ it had always been stated that there was no way to track or communicate with a ship in hyperspace, goes back to @P-47 Thunderbolt 's comment about things being called "impossible" just so that they can get changed :P

Or going anywhere near a Gravity-well while in hyperspace... Interdictors are canon again, but apparently you can jump while in atmosphere depending on plot... <_<

I loved the old EU rules for hyperspace.. No comms, if you could get a sensor read on ships in hyperspace, it was very nebulous.. nothing pinpoint (this was depending on author/plot device) all of which was very submarine-like.

5 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

I loved the old EU rules for hyperspace.. No comms, if you could get a sensor read on ships in hyperspace, it was very nebulous.. nothing pinpoint (this was depending on author/plot device) all of which was very submarine-like.

totally agree.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:20 PM, Leia Hourglass said:

What is the context that spurs the question? What current science and technology, star wars or real world? Are you, or someone else, trying to justify wireless internet co-mingling with the 70s network technologies world of star wars?

There is a statement in ESB that you can't fit a cloaking device on a ship that small.

On 9/27/2020 at 11:49 PM, Dazgrim said:

There is a statement in ESB that you can't fit a cloaking device on a ship that small.

Thrawn stygium crystal cloaking device. It's impossible until they go and doit.

Oh totally, and the TIE Phantom is awesome, but the OP wanted a canon statement that X was impossible.

Also I'm not aware that Stygium crystals are back in canon yet.

Edited by Dazgrim
2 hours ago, Dazgrim said:

Oh totally, and the TIE Phantom is awesome, but the OP wanted a canon statement that X was impossible.

Also I'm not aware that Stygium crystals are back in canon yet.

Well, OP said "Legends or Canon" so...

But nope, they're canon. Tarkin's ship (Carrion Spike) used a stygium cloaking device.

and Mauls ship in Phantom...

10 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

B ut nope, they're canon. Tarkin's ship (Carrion Spike) used a stygium cloaking device.

You are quite correct, I'd forgotten Tarkin was canon.

I believe the ship was also used in an episode of Clone Wars.

Anakin used it to break the blockade (of Cristophsis?) In a very submarine style episode.

55 minutes ago, RuusMarev said:

I believe the ship was also used in an episode of Clone Wars.

Anakin used it to break the blockade (of Cristophsis?) In a very submarine style episode.

Not the same, but the Carrion Spike was based on the design.

It should also be noted that the quote from ESB, which the OP referred to does not say that a small ship can’t have a cloaking device. The quote by Captain Needa was, “They can’t have disappeared! No ship that small has a cloaking device!” That does not mean that they can’t. It’s just prohibitively expensive to do so.

or that it's so super secret that a lowly Imperial Captain has no clue :D

1 hour ago, RuusMarev said:

or that it's so super secret that a lowly Imperial Captain has no clue :D

Exactly.