Expansion Announcement Livestream

By SpiderMana, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Smith could be combination of hunter and guardian... Maybe making some cool toys while in doing that :)

Any chance we'll get separate boss packs?

Edited by Jedi Bendu
typo
1 hour ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Smith could be combination of hunter and guardian... Maybe making some cool toys while in doing that :)

Heh. “Strike 2.”? Actually a way to discard, say, 5 “Strike” cards for a Lore (upgrading armor/weapons) might be cool 😂

1 hour ago, Jedi Bendu said:

Any chance we'll get separate boss packs?

On the one hand it seems likely that they’d follow the first small expansion’s example. On the other hand we’re getting Unguliant’s Spawn in the big box?

Edited by SpiderMana

Good to see an expansion coming, even though I haven't gotten around to playing the second campaign yet. Expanding into Moria sounds like a great idea, it seems like a natural fit for the tile system. Nice choice of new heroes and enemies.

It does seem a bit pricey, but a few of those evil minis look pretty big, those don't come cheap. Plus there's a lot in the box, so there you go.

I will be curious to try the knife with Legolas and hunter. With Agility 4, all those Strike and Lethal, it could be very deadly.

13 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I will be curious to try the knife with Legolas and hunter. With Agility 4, all those Strike and Lethal, it could be very deadly.

The knife and sling are much better options for Harp Legolas (Guaranteed can use his Hero Ability every turn if you want) compared to the Dagger. I ran him Pathfinder early, which allowed him to Paths Unseen Burglar Bilbo out of some tight spots, when the two of them might not have been able to fight their way out. Think I ended up switching to Hunter a bit later on, but it was a fun build. Can’t wait to try more jank like that!

10 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

The knife and sling are much better options for Harp Legolas (Guaranteed can use his Hero Ability every turn if you want) compared to the Dagger. I ran him Pathfinder early, which allowed him to Paths Unseen Burglar Bilbo out of some tight spots, when the two of them might not have been able to fight their way out. Think I ended up switching to Hunter a bit later on, but it was a fun build. Can’t wait to try more jank like that!

Pathfinder Legolas is another thing I want to try.

Sprint 1, gain inspiration for sprinting, use inspiration to move 1 space. Sounds pretty fast... but I fear it would lack in offense.

Edited by Red Castle
14 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

Pathfinder Legolas is another thing I want to try.

Sprint 1, gain inspiration for sprinting, use inspiration to move 1 space. Sounds pretty fast... but I fear it would lack in offense.

Yeah, for a smaller Hero count you definitely want to multiclass, I’d think, but if you’ve got a big enough group Legolas can just be everywhere at once and focus on non-combat stuff.

29 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Yeah, for a smaller Hero count you definitely want to multiclass, I’d think, but if you’ve got a big enough group Legolas can just be everywhere at once and focus on non-combat stuff.

We just started playing the second campaign, but since it’s multi-path, I was thinking about starting a new one after that with Legolas Pathfinder, Aragorn Guardian and Gimli Hunter. Not sure who should be the fourth one.

I think I’ve played at least one or two adventures at each Hero count (mix of multi-handed solo/multiplayer). 2 players was honestly really fun, but I’d default to three if I’m doing solo three-handed. Good amount of options without too much shuffling.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

I think I’ve played at least one or two adventures at each Hero count (mix of multi-handed solo/multiplayer). 2 players was honestly really fun, but I’d default to three if I’m doing solo three-handed. Good amount of options without too much shuffling.

I havn’t played Solo yet and both campaign I’ve played was with 3 friends.

Maybe I should give it a try solo with 2-3 characters.

54 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I havn’t played Solo yet and both campaign I’ve played was with 3 friends.

Maybe I should give it a try solo with 2-3 characters.

It was the only way I was likely to ever finish a campaign at the time, since the only regular gaming I had at the time was our D&D group.

I had fun, definitely worth a try!

Edited by SpiderMana

I've been hovering around the edges of this game for awhile, being a massive fan of the LCG. Now that Eleanor and Legolas are both playable characters I think it's time for me to get in on this game.

23 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

I've been hovering around the edges of this game for awhile, being a massive fan of the LCG. Now that Eleanor and Legolas are both playable characters I think it's time for me to get in on this game.

I think it's very enjoyable, it's just hard to find time when I'm also trying to go through the LCG. I took a break from the LCG when I was going through the first campaign, then went back to LCG. I'd like to get into Marvel Champions too, plus several other things. But the truth is it's practically impossible to find time for all the games out there that are interesting.

I still haven't played the second campaign, but honestly maybe I should go back and try the first one again, since I didn't do that well on it. I think I only won like four out of 11 games or something like that.

21 minutes ago, General_Grievous said:

It 100% scratched the LotR itch for me, and the LCG, while fun, was feeling like I had a lot of catching-up to do. Ended up selling the bit of LCG I had to buy JiME, and have had no regrets! (Though i May pick up the LCG again if I ever have a crapload to spend on it.

1 hour ago, SpiderMana said:

Ended up selling the bit of LCG I had to buy JiME, and have had no regrets! (Though i May pick up the LCG again if I ever have a crapload to spend on it.

At least you're in on the ground floor.

I think the LCG is definitely worth it, even if you just get the first couple of cycles.

12 minutes ago, Vince79 said:

At least you're in on the ground floor.

I think the LCG is definitely worth it, even if you just get the first couple of cycles.

At the time I was buying packs based on which heroes I wanted, but it was really tough to build strong enough decks to keep up, was the big thing.

Again, really enjoyed it overall, but as soon as I played the demo of JiME I knew I'd be okay with just that one.

1 hour ago, Vince79 said:

But the truth is it's practically impossible to find time for all the games out there that are interesting.

Amen, brother; I hear you!

5 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

It 100% scratched the LotR itch for me, and the LCG, while fun, was feeling like I had a lot of catching-up to do. Ended up selling the bit of LCG I had to buy JiME, and have had no regrets! (Though i May pick up the LCG again if I ever have a crapload to spend on it.

My wife and I just finished catching up to the last pack of LCG currently out and it's our favourite game, she kind of steers the gaming being my main partner for coops, and she expressed an interest now in this one so there is that.

I’m also an Lcg player, bought this game last year when it came out, played the campaign and enjoyed it, but it got shelved due to limited time. The lcg takes almost all my gaming time. But I’m inspired to play the first campaign again, and this time paint the minis. I was in a painting rut. I get into painting for a year or so, then go away from it for a year or so it seems. So I’m ready to dive in I think.

On 1/29/2020 at 9:16 PM, SpiderMana said:

as soon as I played the demo of JiME I knew I'd be okay with just that one.

It is a pretty cool game, wish I had more time for it.

16 hours ago, Ywingscum said:

I’m also an Lcg player, bought this game last year when it came out, played the campaign and enjoyed it, but it got shelved due to limited time. The lcg takes almost all my gaming time. But I’m inspired to play the first campaign again, and this time paint the minis. I was in a painting rut. I get into painting for a year or so, then go away from it for a year or so it seems. So I’m ready to dive in I think.

You sound just like me. Except for the painting, that is. I have painted a few minis in my day, but I've never felt the urge to paint these, I see them more as game pieces.

I’m taking stock of my paints, just plan to do some simple 3 or 4 colour jobs. The troll is already grey, so he’s already half done :)

Who is thinking of their team composition? I was considering the following parties:

• Gandalf, Bilbo, Dis, Gimli, and Balin
  • Gandalf, Legolas, Elena, Arwen, Aragorn

I'm not sure how well they will mesh party-wise, but I was thinking of keeping it thematic!

6 minutes ago, Kunitzu San said:

Who is thinking of their team composition?

I like the idea of a Bilbo, Balin, Dis, and Arwen company. Especially if we're going into Moria, it would combine elements of Arwen's and Bilbo's passages over the Misty Mountains with Balin's attempts to retake Khazad-dum. (Could take or leave Gandalf, thematically-speaking).

Edited by Kjeld
1 hour ago, Kunitzu San said:

Who is thinking of their team composition?

I’m definitely looking forward to more dwarves! I’ll probably try an adventure or two with the 5 new characters to get a feel for them, then start building team comps based on fun gimmicks mixing some of their abilities/new roles/equipment with the stuff from the core set. 🤷‍♂️