Expansion Announcement Livestream

By SpiderMana, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

FFG Live should be announcing the expansion today at 1PM Central Time!

https://m.twitch.tv/ffglive/profile

Just posting as a reminder, and so people have a place to drop tidbits of news/discuss!

I’m at work, unsure if I’ll get the break I’m supposed to take around 1, but I’ll try to check in if I can.

At work too so I won’t watch the video, but I’ll follow this thread!

All I was able to catch:

Gandalf! Weaker stats, stronger cards to prepare. “Meddler” class.

Balin, Delver. Dis, Smith. Eleanor, Traveller. Arwen, Herbalist.

Balrog mini!

Also caught a glimpse of some sort of worm mini (burrowing up from underground?) and a cave troll.

Edited by SpiderMana

Here is the official article, as well.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/28/shadowed-paths/

Eleanor was a hero created for the Core Set of the LOTR LCG, so it's cool to see additional crossover, as Beravor was also the same from LOTR LCG.

STOKED we are getting Arwen, too.

Holy Smokes, this thing costs $80? That's only $20 less than the base game itself. This better be worth that much.

EDIT: I suppose it does come with 5 new characters, a Blarog and other large minis and all the cards and tiles necessary for that. So I guess it really is almost like a second base set. Still, that was a bit of a shocker to see an expansion for that much.

Edited by Otakuon
3 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

Holy Smokes, this thing costs $80? That's only $20 less than the base game itself. This better be worth that much.

They said it comes with 5 new heroes, 5 new roles, 20 journey map tiles (core set had 22 tiles), new terrain tokens, new enemy minis. So it's basically the same amount of content as the core set, minus battle map tiles, and the like

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

They said it comes with 5 new heroes, 5 new roles, 20 journey map tiles (core set had 22 tiles), new terrain tokens, new enemy minis. So it's basically the same amount of content as the core set, minus battle map tiles, and the like

Yeah, I amended by original post. It really does look like core set 2.0. I would assume it just doesn't have the basic action cards and equipment, but it almost seems like they should have just included those as well and made it the $100 bucks and sold it as a second core set option.

3 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

Yeah, I amended by original post. It really does look like core set 2.0. I would assume it just doesn't have the basic action cards and equipment, but it almost seems like they should have just included those as well and made it the $100 bucks and sold it as a second core set option.

Yeah with so much included, it seems like they might as well have done the whole thing, but that wouldn't force a new consumer to buy the base product ;)

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Yeah with so much included, it seems like they might as well have done the whole thing, but that wouldn't force a new consumer to buy the base product ;)

Right you are 😆

15 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

EDIT: I suppose it does come with 5 new characters, a Blarog and other large minis and all the cards and tiles necessary for that. So I guess it really is almost like a second base set. Still, that was a bit of a shocker to see an expansion for that much.

Plus you have to factor in the development of the campaign for the app.

well , i was expecting a smaller box but i`m very happy with this one because ....balrog !!!

41 minutes ago, Otakuon said:

In an Interview they said the expansion should feel epic. guess they got that covered.

UnsteadyCleanBasenji-size_restricted.gif

Enemies;

Spiders

Spawn of Ungoliant (bigger spider)

Goblin spear throwers

Orc Taskmaster (with a named version as a boss in the story)

Cave Troll

Un-nameable. (burrowing worm thing)

Oathbreaker (ghost thing like the ones from Return of the King)

Balrog (ugh... fine. At least it will be invincible)

Looks good!

Despite beginning the campaign united in their efforts to rid Mirkwood of the rising menace that resides there, throughout Shadowed Paths heroes can slowly give into to the forces of greed, despair, and suspicion in the form of corruption.

Unlike damage or fear, corruption stays with the heroes throughout the entire campaign, and is tracked by the app. This corruption can weigh on a hero, triggering certain events during your adventures. What’s more, if a hero cannot pass a last stand test when they would gain their fourth corruption, they are defeated. Do you have what it takes to resist the corrupting influences you face long enough to complete your quest?

Love the inclusion of a corruption mechanic! Definitely a core theme throughout Tolkien's works, so it's nice to see the insidious side of the forces of darkness enter into the game play.

Edited by Kjeld

OMG. So excited for this. Its a 2nd base box. I'm not really sold on the Dis character... meh, but I wish they included another from common lore like Boromir... but man! This looks awesome. Excited to see more from this game.

14 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

OMG. So excited for this. Its a 2nd base box. I'm not really sold on the Dis character... meh, but I wish they included another from common lore like Boromir... but man! This looks awesome. Excited to see more from this game.

I'm starting projections way too early, and with the absence of Boromir, I'll project the next big box to be Fellowship themed, and again have five new heroes with the four hobbits and Boromir, since we'll already have the other four in the Fellowship.

40 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

I’m so psyyyyched for Dis. Her beard looks dope and they didn’t even have to make her up entirely 😜

47 minutes ago, docForsaken said:

Now with the inclusion of corruption, it should not be long before we get Boromir :P

And while I was also hoping to get him in this expension, Dis is actually the character that interest me the most. That miniature will be very fun to paint and we are getting closer to a full dwarf fellowship!

4 hours ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Here is the official article, as well.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2020/1/28/shadowed-paths/

Eleanor was a hero created for the Core Set of the LOTR LCG, so it's cool to see additional crossover, as Beravor was also the same from LOTR LCG.

STOKED we are getting Arwen, too.

Eleanor and Beravor were in fact created for the board game Middle Earth Quest long before the lcg was born, alongside 3 other heroes (Argalad, Thalin and Eometh). 4 of them made it to the lcg and 3 of the 4 to the core set with brand new illustrations).

@docForsaken I just think it’s cool that there’s gonna be a female dwarf character in the game. And I’m excited to play her. So.

That clear things up or are you more mad than confused?

2 hours ago, Fishiste said:

Eleanor and Beravor were in fact created for the board game Middle Earth Quest long before the lcg was born, alongside 3 other heroes (Argalad, Thalin and Eometh). 4 of them made it to the lcg and 3 of the 4 to the core set with brand new illustrations).

Had no idea! Very cool!

Can we just talk about the Sling (spoiled in the article) for a second? You can pair it with a dagger and upon upgrading the dagger be able to dual wield ranged Wit weapons? Not to mention a ranged option for Bilbo, which is cool since he’s relatively limited on items, and ranged burglar is a fun build. Other weapons would seem to include a Warhammer for Dis, a (one-handed?) axe for Balin, and a new sword or two for Eleanor and Gandalf (purely from looking at the minis). Really hoping we get a Wisdom sword since that would be useful on Aragorn, Gandalf, and Arwen.

I can’t wait for more info in general, but at this point I think I’m mostly curious about any new cloaks/armor types, and the abilities of the Smith role.

I hope there were standalone adventures available to play occasionally with friends.
Please FFG, just do it or a simple mode to select adventure and characters to play.