Discard borderline case

By Cynewulf2, in General Discussion

Finn Edwards passive ability states:
Effects cannot cause you to discard your Item, Trinket, or Ally possessions unless you choose to.

Say he has an Ally and a Task and an effect causes him to discard an Asset. Can he choose to discard the Ally and then just keep it?
(I have way more complex questions derived from this, but let's start with the basics.)

Edited by Cynewulf2

This depends on what is required. If an event requires you to discard in order to create a pass condition then you would not be able to consider it a pass as you did not discard an asset. If an attack of some kind would cause you to discard an asset as a punitive step then you can ignore that. The important thing to take into consideration is that you get to choose to discard. But you can't pretend to discard and take a positive outcome.

Edited by LordPyrex
14 hours ago, Cynewulf2 said:

Finn Edwards passive ability states:
Effects cannot cause you to discard your Item, Trinket, or Ally possessions unless you choose to.

Say he has an Ally and a Task and an effect causes him to discard an Asset. Can he choose to discard the Ally and then just keep it?

A specific wording is important. If the effect just says "Discard 1 asset" you would have to discard something if able, and you are able to discard the Task.
But I failed to find such plain discard, so I suspect the wording of your effect could be different.

1 hour ago, tsuma534 said:

A specific wording is important. If the effect just says "Discard 1 asset" you would have to discard something if able, and you are able to discard the Task.
But I failed to find such plain discard, so I suspect the wording of your effect could be different.

Actually the effect was something like "Discard half of your hassets". Why should I have to discard something if able ?

On 1/23/2020 at 10:24 AM, Cynewulf2 said:

Why should I have to discard something if able ?

Well, if the game tells you to do something you do it, as long as you're able. I don't think there's a more specific ruling for this.
Finn's ability doesn't protect you from all discards, just from some of those.
This post or this one give might help you.

Edited by tsuma534