2020 VWC Game Reporting Thread

By BiggsIRL, in Star Wars: Armada Battle Reports

10 hours ago, RapidReload said:

POD A
RapidReload vs Tokra (yes the Tokra)

Tokra has Bid, chooses Second, we play Targeting Beacons (he plays a Moralo list).

I had the "honor" of playing against @187-Leon 's Moralo during the Vassal Autumn tournament and lost that game, so I was quite apprehensive of this one.

Tokra put the station in the middle for Moralo health shenanigans, the obstacles were spaced between the station and his deployment zone. I deployed defensively facing the station, Tokra deployed in a way that his ships could fly around the center.

1.png

After a bit of delaying and bumping, Moralo starts hit-and-running Mart and taking 7ish shields of the Star Hawk, triggering me to throw in Lando and 3 yt2400 to engage the shuttles and Moralo. I have little trust in killing Moralo as Lando couldn't reach him and was afraid of his healing capabilities so I start shooting at shuttles. Bad dice say only 1 goes down. Tokra expertly manipulates tokens and ranges and chews through my squadrons very very fast. However this keeps the Starhawk out of harms way, and a gun'ho Victory runs over a debris field and turns in towards the Star Hawk.

This allows for a front and side long range shot that comes out with 5 damage and an accuracy (naturally rolled on 4 red dice...). Three more damage from the sidearc into the same hull zone make the Victory bleed. It dies from the first activation the next turn when the Starhawk rolls 7 damage with an HIE crit on 3 red and 2 blue after rerolls.

In the meantime Moralo has eradicated all my Squads with only Vader and a Shuttle as return casualties.

At this point (Turn 5) the Starhawk is quite safe, points say Tokra needs a Flotilla kill to win 6:5. He goes for Toryn Farr turn 5 but cannot stick any damage (Sloane is dead). Turn 6 he goes after the Comms Net Flotilla, shoots at it around 8+ times but in the end it survives on 1 Hull.

145:131 for RapidReload (6:5).

Very tense game for me and Tokra is as always a very polite opponent giving me tips after the game (like taking a second Salvo with Agate in this matchup!!).

I watched the part where Moralo went to work. I was rather silly, but fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I watched the part where Moralo went to work. I was rather silly, but fun to watch.

Maybe fun for you :-).

40 minutes ago, Beginner2Winner said:

@RapidReload

Is there a log file?

I wanted to take pics of the turns but forgot after the first round, it was tense.
I didnt make a log, maybe @Tokra made one.

How does the red flak and salvo work out for you? I think Sloane killed your Salvo first?

1 hour ago, spike2109 said:

How does the red flak and salvo work out for you? I think Sloane killed your Salvo first?

No I used it twice against Moralo (who cannot use the Sloane effect) and got it back with Walex. Tokra argued that I should have taken an additional Salvo token with Agate, and this would have made the Starhawk scarier, but in retrospect I am not sure if I didnt make the right choice after all. Tokra poured an entire round of Moralo into the SH and took off like 7 Shields, had he been more afraid of Salvos he might have gone for my Squads even earlier and the Victory might have been more afraid of coming towards it.

The flak was a non factor in this match. Moralo has an insane threat range so I had to basically jump my squads twice distance four to reach him after Tokra retreated at the end of the round. This, coupled with his smartly hiding behind the Station (obstructions) did not allow for impactful flaking at the time of the actual squad massacer. I think however that with Unity and Toryn Farr the Flak can be scary and very consistent against a 'normal' list. I think an Imperial Alpha Strike Squad list should do fine against Moralo though, as long as they dont allow themselves to be chewed up before the Alpha Strike.

Edited by RapidReload
4 hours ago, spike2109 said:

I cannot take care of the Starhawk, when there are 131 points in squadrons. And even worse, when there are so many high hull squadrons, as the YT2400s and Lando. This means, i have to worry about these first. And this took me too much time. I could take them down with minor loses (Vader and one Shuttle), but the squadron fight was over during turn 5 (started in turn 3). And this was too late for an attack on the Starhawk.

Loosing the VSD this badly did not help. And having Sloane on the VSD was a mistake after all. She should be on the quasar (at least in this match 😁 ).
This double long range attack on the VSD for 7+3 damage (first even had an accuracy) was just to much for the VSD to handle. It got exactly to 0 Hull with the last attack. One damage less and it would have survived. And could get out of range of the Starhawk.

3 hours ago, Tokra said:

This double long range attack on the VSD for 7+3 damage (first even had an accuracy) was just to much for the VSD to handle.

First shot was 5 damage and an accuracy. It was 4 red die. You lost the 3 shields in the side, the one in the back and took a damage card. Was still an insanely lucky roll. Structural on the second shot didnt help either (well, you it didnt).

"And could get out of range of the Starhawk."

You think so? Ships are same speed, I had yiu in midrange, could have moved to land pretty much behind you. I think i would have had one more long range shot in turn 6.

Edited by RapidReload

POD F

Antisocialmunky defeats duck_bird

400 vs 178, 9-2

duck_bird was First Player and selected Planetary Ion Cannon

We deployed across from each other and duck_bird rushes me with duck_bird's Liberty at speed 3 and Salvation at speed 2. My Onager takes out Salvation while duck_bird cleans up most of my squad wing except for Dengar and Bossk. Eventually the Liberty gets into a ramming contest with my VSD that it doesn't win for the table on turn 4.

Gr5GtZK.jpg

https://gofile.io/?c=6k7V2K

Edited by antisocialmunky
3 minutes ago, RapidReload said:

First shot was 5 damage and an accuracy. It was 4 red die. You lost the 3 shields in the side, the one in the back and took a damage card. Was still an insanely lucky roll. Structural on the second shot didnt help either (well, you it didnt).

In this case it was 6 damage. You rolled 3 double in this attack. And i took 2 damage cards. And two more from the second attack (one structure and one extra). I was at 4 hull after this.
This is why the next attack, with 7 damage and the HIE (with the side arc btw πŸ˜€ ), took the VSD exactly to 0 hull. Two shield on the second side where gone from a bump with an obstacle. HIE removed the shields, 7 damage after a brace are 4, boom πŸ˜… .

It was just same bad luck, combined with a stupid touch of the debris.

18 minutes ago, Tokra said:

In this case it was 6 damage. You rolled 3 double in this attack. And i took 2 damage cards. And two more from the second attack (one structure and one extra). I was at 4 hull after this.
This is why the next attack, with 7 damage and the HIE (with the side arc btw πŸ˜€ ), took the VSD exactly to 0 hull. Two shield on the second side where gone from a bump with an obstacle. HIE removed the shields, 7 damage after a brace are 4, boom πŸ˜… .

It was just same bad luck, combined with a stupid touch of the debris.

True, that debris cost you.

41 minutes ago, antisocialmunky said:

We deployed across from each other and duck_bird rushes me with his Liberty at speed 3 and Salvation at speed 2. My Onager takes out his Salvation while he cleans up most of my squad wing except for Dengar and Bossk.

I could be wrong but isn't duck_bird a girl? She/He criticized me on discord once for my thoughts on the fleet design that won the last Vassal World Cup.

I don't know duck_bird well, if they are offended by the pronoun, I fixed it in the report.

Edited by antisocialmunky

@Realadmiralsdoitinspace Vs Irish madcat

I won the roll and went second

We played my infested fields

Great opponent and very close game

My starhawk ended the game on less than 4 hull

I won 225 to 38

Youtube vidoe here

POD F

Angry Ewok vs antisocialmunky

Ewok won 6-5

229 to 224 Score so a massive 5 MoV pts...

Ewok was 1st player and played PIC

I have never played an Onager before and it is a large and interesting addition to the game, learned a lot about how it functions, well played to antisocial, would play him again any time.

Edited by Angry Ewok

Pod B

Chavo defeats @Keskai
71 score vs 0
I, Chavo, chose second and Keskai chose Surprise Attack.

I placed the station in the top left corner. He deployed in the only open spot, and I set up at an angle away, near the middle at full speed to kite his (very threatening) front arc. Mines were set, I moved an asteroid out of my path, and another with a mine (hopefully) into his.

Round 1: Ravager received a navigate raid token, which was gleared with the token from a Nav dial. Keskai shot at three mines, popping one before moving with a click of yaw and triggering the remaining 3 for 4 damage.

Round 2: Nav Raid, Ravager revealed a squad command and kept his bombers close, near his rear flank before landing on two asteroids and gaining Damaged Munitions and Blinded Gunners. My ships and squads continued to circle around, out of range looking for opportunities.

Round 3: Con Fire Raid, which was cleared with a Con fire dial, keeping the token. Then Ravager got a Life Support Failure and Projector Misaligned, removing his tokens and all his front shields. The Obstacles were the real MVPs this game. I took the opportunity and was able to FCT/Squall my Maarek/Rhymer/and Phantoms to close range, but dice were dice with two complete whiffs. My hope was to land enough damage to get half points, that didn't happen. During the Squad phase, Keskai moved his bombers to threaten Corvus and my other ships.

Round 4-6:The Ravager had Repair dials all the way down, recovering shields and healing damage. I took a couple pot shots at Ravager before pulling my squads back into command range. The Comms-Net fed nav and squad tokens as needed to keep things from running into each other and getting all the squads moved. The rest of the game played out between the fighters, and between the SSD and the asteroids. Ravager ended with 13 hull (for want of two more Structural Damage!) and I cleared his remaining bombers.

An enjoyable game, and Keskai was a joy to play with.

Log File Link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SxRz1bWvN41RpTIye2zy0jj5RYL_9i0v

Edit: Nevermind

Edited by BiggsIRL

@Beginner2Winner V irish madcat

We played hi surprise attack

I won 109 to 103

Video here:

Thanks, @Irishmadcat for a great game!

No major mistakes (or at least none of that I am aware from) and similiar lists leads to close results.... This is the fate of Pod C...

Maybe that I should not have rushed in my squads already in the first round. It would have been enough to cover the space on the debris field with Shara and keep the rest back. I was not aware of the FAQ re. Biggs and Dutch so that my idea of an early kill (or at least an activated squad) has failed.

The flak power of the SH is amazing!

So, I look forward to the last two games in our Pod. The race for place 1 and 2 is still open... πŸ˜‰

score0125.PNG

Updated to here!

1 hour ago, BiggsIRL said:

score0125.PNG

Updated to here!

I think Pod C is missing a point. 4 games, but only 43 points. Should realadmiral be at 6?

8 hours ago, Astrodar said:

I think Pod C is missing a point. 4 games, but only 43 points. Should realadmiral be at 6?

Probably. Looks like he got 3 twice, but I had the second game in as a 2.

Pod A:

Tokra vs @l3ct3r

Tokra won with 400 - 0.
I was second player, and we were playing my Targeting Beacon.

It was a really nasty game. In turn 1 Luke and Norra died (without a single squadron activation from ships). Turn 2 the Foresight and a few more squadrons went down. And after this it did not get better. The Admo had one double arc shot on the VSD, this one took it down to 4 hull (2x Structure from APT). But this was basically all he could do. It was over in turn 4 with all rebel ships destroyed. Last shot was at least from VSD.

Here is the log from the fight

Pod E

@Green Squadron 3 vs CommanderDave

He gave me first. I picked Advanced Gunnery. We called it at the end of round 4. He killed my Dictor with his Bail activation, but not before I was able to take down his Command Cruiser with the Dictor and Decimators. His objective ship was on its way down with no chance of killing Demo so we called it.

Final score was 514-195 given the destruction of the objective ships. I believe that’s a 10-1 win for me.

Big thanks Green Squadron for a good game!

Edited by CommanderDave

@The Jabbawookie and I played my Dangerous Territory. It was a brutal slugest. I parked my VSD in front of his SSD, alongside my other ships, and we basically stood still and punched each other in the face for four rounds. In round 4 he killed my Interdictor and Star Destroyer, but my VSD managed to finish off his SSD. But then his bombers took out my VSD resulting in a 6-5, 0 MOV* mutual destruction victory for me.

*At the end of the game Jabbawookie had one victory token and I had two, not sure if that matters for scoring with mutual destruction?

@LTD vs Jabba ends 400-32, 10-1.

LTD's Planetary Ion Cannon is played. Against his better judgement Jabba turns to engage Ackbar's slippery CR90s, and it's a trap. Though saturated with tokens, Piett finds himself canceled out by the useless concentrate fire dials in Ravager's command stack. The YTs move freely through the bombers, and piles of red dice bring Ravager low over rounds 4, 5, and 6.

Thank you LTD, for a real nail-biter of a game (not so much whether I could win under the circumstances as whether I could survive.)

Edited by The Jabbawookie