Under the Ash Mountains

By stimpaksam, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

11 hours ago, MikeGracey said:

If anyone hasn't tried it yet, I would recommend (since I don't have the pack yet) to play dwarves against this. They get benefits from underground locations ( hello Bombur) but also can make great use of an attachment that kinda sucked until now.

Dwarf Pipe

Well Dwarf Pipe was still quite useful in a dedicated mining deck, but I agree it can be (apparently for now) a bit of a silver bullet against this quest.

It will at least slow down the rate at which you discard cards from your deck by putting them on the bottom. Cycling Galadhrim Weaver will help as well, though it won't stop you from losing all your cards before long. The chance of hitting all three of your pipes before any get discarded are slim, though ally Bilbo can help a little. However, the resources spent to get this up and running won't be spent to counter the big enemies in this quest, so you might die that way. Like I said, the quest is very tricky and I will encourage multiplayer just to divide the tasks a little better. I will also be looking forward to trying this with my mono-Lore deck and cycling The Great Hunt to get rid of the Patrol that way. Though mono-Lore will have to do without a ton of card draw, as will only further complicate things down the line.

I will admit that adding the Ered Luin Miner and Hidden Cache to your deck for this quest will get you some good results. Might even be worth including on top of your standard deck, just to hope to discard them for setup.

I really don’t like to have to build dedicated decks to beat a quest.

Edited by Yepesnopes
14 hours ago, Yepesnopes said:

I really don’t like to have to build dedicated decks to beatba quest.

Then you must really not like this last cycle, or a good chunk of quests in this game for that matter.

So far we have not changed our decks (we play two) until challenge of the windraiders, which we still have to play.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:28 AM, Yepesnopes said:

I think the problem is theres no way to make everyone happy. If one deck could beat every encounter easily the people who play often would get bored.

I do agree that its a disheartening feeling when playing a block of content sequentially to have a deck your excited to play, only for the encounter you set unto have X invalidate Y and ruin your decks performance- Such as testing a trap deck and being against the Hurons who cant have attachments.

I think the ideal is for an encounter to have a chance of being beaten by most decent decks, or require a few minor card swaps- But I am glad that unique deck building quests exist as well as insane challenge quests.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:28 AM, Yepesnopes said:

I can understand both sides of this debate as I have certain heroes that I like to play and it's disheartening to think against certain quests they are almost unplayable. However, I see the other side that if every group of heroes and every sphere could beat every quest then it would just be a matter of deciphering how to play certain combinations of cards and there wouldn't really be a need for different spheres except for flavor.

One solution for this that I've seen is the Book of Elessar series of playthroughs on YouTube in which he plays through all the quests using Aragorn but changes the other heroes and the deck based on the quest. I could see this working with almost any hero so that's one possible workaround to this problem.

The narrower the possible builds that can be effective against a quest, the less replayablity a quest will have. I don't think it's a problem when a quest *can* be beaten by every solo-capable archtype, because the experience of play will be different and the winning percentages may vary widely between different deck types. Most non-nightmare quests fit this description, IMO.

A quest that can be beaten by a wide variety of archtypes, but ONLY if they sideboard in a card particularly essential for that quest also damages replayability, because searching for the essential card(s) overshadows the natural differences in deckplay. Shadow cancellation in Road to Rivendell would be the classic example of this problem.

A quest that's so easy that any deck will reliably beat it serves as a good preview for playing Marvel Champions.

1 hour ago, dalestephenson said:

A quest that's so easy that any deck will reliably beat it serves as a good preview for playing Marvel Champions.

Quite right, coming from an LotR LCG perspective I was surprised at how easy Marvel Champions is. Even the harder scenarios (Ultron, Mutagen Formula) are what would be considered moderate-easy in LotR.