Under the Ash Mountains

By stimpaksam, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

This pack looks really sweet!

That may be the best guarded card, since the willpower is guaranteed useful every round and the draw is guaranteed too. What do you guys think?

Also those doomed events are cool, are they worth it without Saruman though?

Love that Dunedain art, he looks great. Looks like you may be forced to discard him if your not engaged with an enemy which is too bad, but hes probably free with good stats... 3 attack, and definitely ranged. I mean, hes a bowmaster and the cardfan shows a space where the keyword would fit above the text.

1 hour ago, MikeGracey said:

This pack looks really sweet!

That may be the best guarded card, since the willpower is guaranteed useful every round and the draw is guaranteed too. What do you guys think?

Also those doomed events are cool, are they worth it without Saruman though?

Love that Dunedain art, he looks great. Looks like you may be forced to discard him if your not engaged with an enemy which is too bad, but hes probably free with good stats... 3 attack, and definitely ranged. I mean, hes a bowmaster and the cardfan shows a space where the keyword would fit above the text.

With regards to the guarded card, it's up there. Necklace of Girion gives the +2 WP, is neutral, non-restricted and gives an extra resource. I find that's going to be a little more versatile than a restricted, lore guarded card. However, it fishes for a location, which usually is more beneficial in solo play. Plus, if you play with bilbo or cirdan, you can get card draw equivalent to an erestor deck.

As for the doomed cards, it scales in power with the more players you have. Which is great because nobody wants to play with someone playing a doomed deck. The more benefits for players across the board, the better. It rounds out the leadership and lore bonus cards from earlier packs -- we now have doomed cards that allows all players to:

-Ready characters

-gain resources

-draw cards

-place damage

That combined with the new 40+threat bonuses (but let's not call it valour for whatever reason??) And you might see new play for doomed cards in decks not involving saruman.

Thats a good point about the guarded card being restricted. However restricted tends to only really matter on your combat characters as they are more likely to use up their restricted slots.

Necklace of Girion is a pretty close match for sure. I would say those two are the best.

Amazon has a release date of 4/3 for the US. Not sure how reliable it is, but usually Amazon tends to overestimate release dates (originally they had it set for release in May), and considering it'll be over a month between release dates for packs, I anticipate that this is a reasonable release date.

If anyone has their hands on it early, please let us know!

Courtesy of discord:

Screenshot_20200325-142121_Discord.jpg

This could actually be quite fun (like start with Lore Aragorn, lots of Doomed to play all his toys and other stuff, use its ability and then switch for Leadership or Tactics Aragorn; switch heroes based on how the game is going to get someone more suited to your needs, and so forth), even though there seems to be a small problem for how it works: if I discard all tokens in the first step I should discard also the damage ones, but in the end it says to move the damage tokens to the new hero. I guess what they wanted to do was discarding only the resource tokens

Edited by Alonewolf87

At last there's a reason to play Fortune and Fate again in a Caldara deck!

I'm guessing a Sword-Thained or MotK is ineligible for this?

Resource tokens aren't directed to be placed on a hero (I do it, but the resource pool of a hero is a separate thing), so if the intent was to discard resources it should've said so.

4 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

I'm guessing a Sword-Thained or MotK is ineligible for this?

Both would be threat cost 0 I believe, making all heroes ineligible I would assume

4 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Resource tokens aren't directed to be placed on a hero (I do it, but the resource pool of a hero is a separate thing), so if the intent was to discard resources it should've said so.

Then which tokens would you discard...?

Big brain play:

• Ask your friend to play Desperate Alliance to lend you Lore Aragorn
  • Play Helm of Secrecy, choosing Spirit Pippin
  • Inform your friend that, according to the card effect, their Lore Aragorn is now part of your collection. You'll let them keep Spirit Pippin though.
14 minutes ago, NathanH said:

You'll let them keep Spirit Pippin though.

I think you might even keep Spirit Pippin (the shame...), since the target of Desperate Alliance was Lore Aragorn and now it's no longer in play so the delayed effect whiffs.

Discard the damage tokens, then put them back on the new hero, just as the card directs....

From rules reference: "A resource pool is a collection of resource tokens stored near a hero card." Since the card says "from a hero" maybe you could include them, since it doesn't say *on* a hero. OTOH, I'm not sure what purpose is served by discarding the hero's resources while you maintain all his attachments and wounds. Tag team for an injured hero and you get his wounds but lose his wallet?

If the current hero is exhausted, does the new hero enter ready?

Transferring from Loragorn is a great use, but transferring from Saruman to Loragorn might also save your bacon.

Since it doesn't say "printed threat" I guess Mirlonde and Folco affect this card?

You forgot to spoil the other leadership card

I would say "don't overthink the word 'on' here."

Also, this is the greatest f-u to Erestor, hah. Big burst start, go a round or two, make sure you save those 4 resources, then when this card comes up, BAM you swap him for Galdor, get rid of the rest of the cards in your hand via some discard effects, and draw 6 more cards.

This event is going to be a rulings bonanza.

4 minutes ago, sappidus said:

This event is going to be a rulings bonanza.

For a while I thought they just axed most of the playtesting for this game (like... a couple of cycles back) so we saw a surge in typos and fuzzy wordings that made it all the way to print.

Now I actually think it's all intentional and Caleb is trying to soften us up and stop us from caring about wording at all

Like how many cards now do we actually have to play based on "intent" and not actual words?

The general consensus on Discord was that the card will not let you choose the same hero from a different sphere as it says a “different hero”.

Is it real? It seems a fake.

what is the source?

Heroes with "per game" abilities:

Folco (6 or less threat), requires discard

TaEowyn (9 threat)

Galdor (9 threat)

Caldara (9 threat), requires discard

Hama (9 threat)

LoAragorn (12 threat)

Heroes with setup effects:

Smeagol (3 threat -- can't be swapped out)

Thurindir (8 threat)

TaEowyn (9 threat)

LeDenethor (8 threat)

Galdor (9 threat)

Galdor and Eowyn are on both lists. Thurindir can be an attractive swap-in candidate in quests once there's already some side-quests in the victory display -- Rossiel could also be more attractive as a swap-in for a Victory Display deck, once some locations/enemies are in the VD.

Bombur's not on the list, but as his sole function in life is to *get* to five dwarves quickly, it would be nice to swap him out for Ori after you're already safely past that threshold. (Other than that you'd have to live with Bombur's terrible stat distribution until you had 4 resources and a 1-per deck card).

3 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

The general consensus on Discord was that the card will not let you choose the same hero from a different sphere as it says a “different hero”.

That makes sense, but it's a thematic fail not to be able to swap out Spirit Eowyn for Tactics Eowyn!

26 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

That makes sense, but it's a thematic fail not to be able to swap out Spirit Eowyn for Tactics Eowyn!

While I would love to do that too, I have a hard time agreeing that it’s a thematic fail. In other words, why do you believe Dernhelm should be Spirit Eowyn? I’m going to lobby that the game needs to be extended until we get a Dernhelm hero now.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Bullroarer Took

I don't see Dernhelm as Spirit Eowyn, I see Eowyn in Meduseld as Spirit Eowyn. Tactics Eowyn is the Eowyn under Dernhelm's helm. So changing Spirit Eowyn to Tactics Eowyn is the princess become the warrior, as the art reflects.

Of course, she eventually reverts to Spirit Eowyn for Faramir, but then it's less the Helm of Secrecy and more the mantle of Finduilas.