Imperial Assault Tools - List Builder, Card Editor, more...

By Bitterman, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

3 hours ago, Bitterman said:

I'm pretty sure I've fixed this now (though still couldn't reproduce the crash). Try downloading the latest version from the usual place and see if it solves your problem.

Yes you fixed it! Thanks a ton

Two things:

1) in the Card Viewer, when "Campaign Only" is selected no cards appear.

2) in the Skirmish List Builder, it would be nice to see an option to see the "Campaign Only" cards.

40 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

I've just checked this and works for me (this is for Deployment cards, presumably). What version of the software are you using? (You can check by going to Help --> About, latest is 4.3.1.5).

42 minutes ago, ComtriS said:

2) in the Skirmish List Builder, it would be nice to see an option to see the "Campaign Only" cards.

Sorry, not going to change this - partly because it's just not what it's for (clue is in the name ;) ) but also because it would actually really complicate a bunch of assumptions and selection logic rules just by having those cards even available to view. I get why you're asking for it, but it's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Bitterman, is there a way to allow the card images to be exported at a higher resolution for printing? Some of the smaller text like sub-name and traits gets a little fuzzy when printing out. But seriously, this is by far the most user-friendly card generator out there - thank you for all your work on this! I just recently got into IA and have been having a blast with your program creating custom cards to go with some of my 3d printed minis.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:57 AM, waterarc said:

Bitterman, is there a way to allow the card images to be exported at a higher resolution for printing? Some of the smaller text like sub-name and traits gets a little fuzzy when printing out.

I'm afraid not, sorry. The editor, by design, renders the cards at the same resolution as FFG spoiled (most of) their cards in the news articles.

Glad you're having fun with it though, feel free to share what you're coming up with either here in this thread or elsewhere on the forum.

It'd be cool if we could change the style of the Deployment cards to the alternate style we see them in at expos and such, like this ia_inquisitor_single.png

On 5/2/2020 at 3:04 PM, ComtriS said:

I'm having the same problem. I run version 4.3.1.5. I already tried re-downloading and re-installing the Suite.

11 minutes ago, Noldorion said:

I'm having the same problem. I run version 4.3.1.5. I already tried re-downloading and re-installing the Suite.

Ah - I've realised what's happening here...

So the tools suite doesn't actually contain any card images itself, with the installer. Whenever it needs to show a card, it either:

• shows the card image from a local folder you point it at - this is configured in Tools -> Tools Suite Settings... -> Options, it might take a bit of figuring out for you to configure it but you can download the images from Imperial Assault Data (the link is on the settings dialog) and point it at that folder, then use the "Check" button to make sure it's all OK; or
  • shows the card image from a web link to somewhere else that stores all the images - this is (almost?) always Tabletop Admiral; or
  • draws the card itself.

Now, assuming you haven't set up the first option (most people don't, and don't even realise it's an option because it's normally not needed), it'll look for the image online. But, Tabletop Admiral (being a skirmish tool, not campaign) doesn't have any images for the campaign cards, so there is nothing to show for campaign cards! (Not sure why it doesn't then draw it itself, though).

So for now, either grab the Imperial Assault Data images and set up a local image folder, or live with skirmish cards not showing up... and when I get a few minutes I'll investigate why it's not falling back on the third option.

OK, I've fixed it so it will draw the card itself in these situations. Download the latest version from the usual place and you should find it shows something now.

Worked like a charm, thank you!

Any chance we can get Forms added to the card maker?

Sincerely,

IACP Steering Committee

Forms as in, the cards used by Clawdites?

I never really thought it worth bothering, as they were so specific to just one model. And, FFG never "spoiled" a Form card in any of their news articles , which is a great help when trying to make a convincing one. So I've always said "sorry, no". But a few people have asked, so there is evidently some desire for it.

Let's say "maybe" and see how the mood takes me next time I fire up the code editor.

[edit] Ugh, I've just reminded myself what they look like and remembered why I didn't do them already (though turns out FFG did spoil two of them , so I would have something to work from). Annoyingly complex in design for such a simple thing, with completely unnecessary curves (which don't even match the visual style of the Mercenary Deployment cards which have no curves at all), and images with awkward transparency. I guess it's still a "maybe", but I'm leaning towards "...but probably not TBH", and if I do, it'll be simple rectangles, I won't attempt to perfectly match the real cards.

[edit 2] So, uh, I seem to be three quarters of the way through doing it. That "maybe" is leaning more towards "yes" after all. Such an irritating card to lay out, though.

Edited by Bitterman
7 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Any chance we can get Forms added to the card maker?

You know what? 2020 has been a sucky year. It's really been awful for more than ten months so far. I think it's time to make the world a slightly better place.

The Card Editor now supports Form cards.

Form-Card-Mercenaries-Clawdite-Shapeshif

Honestly, parts of this were a real pain in the backside to get working, and it's still not pixel-perfect. But it's close enough, I doubt anyone will notice the differences. Any problems, let me know. @Ace of Spades2 I know you were asking for this too, and probably a few others.

Download the latest version from the usual place . There's a couple of other tiny fixes in the latest version too so it's worth picking up. And without wishing to be too gauche, a general reminder to anyone reading this thread that if you're enjoying using this tool, it is possible to send me money by PayPal ... if you want. No pressure. Don't feel obliged.

Edited by Bitterman

Just wanted to let people know that I've added a new tool to this suite: the Card Data Set Editor (currently BETA quality).

It's quite an advanced tool that most of you will never need to use, but it was added to help someone out with creating a fully-translated set of cards, and perhaps you guys in the IACP may find it useful too (though I know you've got your own way of making cards these days, and I'm not sure if you ever provide patches to work with my tools; but the option is there if you so choose, and this would make it more convenient if you chose to go down that route). Similarly for anyone else working on something with a similar goal to the IACP.

Anyway - for all of you, it's worth getting the latest version even if this new tool doesn't sound like something you'll use, as there may have been some fixes since the last time you downloaded this tool suite.

Download the latest version from the usual place .

I guess any future updates will be announced in the equivalent thread on BGG as this forum is about to be closed.

And don't forget that if, while being part of this forum's community, you've found this tools suite useful, you can send me money by PayPal ... if you want. No pressure. Don't feel obliged.

Edited by Bitterman