Dominion cycle

By RafaelNN, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

The new cycle and its first dynasty pack has been announced. Thoughts?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/11/26/rokugan-at-war/

Im not too sure about dynasty events, deck slots are too contested, but it opens new avenues for swarming I guess.

The stacking of multiple cards will make playing holding heavy interesting, since now you dont lose that many characters to buy.

Not sure about Kakita Yoshi2

Edited by RafaelNN

So are the double elemental symbols on the provinces, considered both or either/or when it comes to deck construction?

I'm assuming both? So does that mean that the imminent provinces can only be used in seeker decks since you're going to have to double up on an element?

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

So are the double elemental symbols on the provinces, considered both or either/or when it comes to deck construction?

I'm assuming both? So does that mean that the imminent provinces can only be used in seeker decks since you're going to have to double up on an element?

" You may also notice every Eminent province has two elements. During deckbuilding, a player may include an Eminent province in their selection of provinces, fulfilling the province slot of one of those two elements. During gameplay, a province with multiple elements counts as each of its elements."

The downside of this is that I had my provinces separated by element. This complicates my ordering system and puts my ocd alarms in yellow alert

30 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

" You may also notice every Eminent province has two elements. During deckbuilding, a player may include an Eminent province in their selection of provinces, fulfilling the province slot of one of those two elements. During gameplay, a province with multiple elements counts as each of its elements."

I totally missed that. This cold is kicking my butt.

1 hour ago, RafaelNN said:

Not sure about Kakita Yoshi2

Yoshi2 looks busted to me. Why is it not based on Face Up Unbroken provinces.

13 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Yoshi2 looks busted to me. Why is it not based on Face Up Unbroken provinces.

Wow thats how I had understood it worked, faceup unbroken provinces. Ill have to reconsider him, now. Although it wouldnt surprise me if its ruled.only unbroken provinces work on his ability

1 minute ago, RafaelNN said:

Wow thats how I had understood it worked, faceup unbroken provinces. Ill have to reconsider him, now. Although it wouldnt surprise me if its ruled.only unbroken provinces work on his ability

We have precedent with Shiro Shinjo that broken provinces are still considered face up. It will require an errata to fix him.

Getting Dynasty deck events is interesting.

I was thinking City of the Rich Frog would be useful in a Crab Wall deck but them adding to the arsenal of province clearers makes me think permanent holdings will become a lot less reliable.

A Season of War made all those wall holdings pointless. The more I think about this the angrier I am getting. Rebuild and cancels won't be strong enough to make them worthwhile, and we only just got them. Having an answer to a deck is one thing, destroying it is design vandalism.

RIP the Wall Deck.

I imagine sometimes game design goes through the process of introducing something and then introducing the counter, which is natural. Sometimes the counter is extraneous because the theme is strong enough to see play or a much needed answer. I suppose it was better to release the answer in advance rather than too late. However, I don't think the Wall deck was ever going to set the world on fire. Season of War should have been put into a Clan and/or the given influence (even as a neutral card, like they existed in Netrunner), so that it exists in the environment but doesn't hose complete archetypes without any effort. There is actually zero opportunity costs to running this card, it replaces itself so you can comfortably play a 43 card deck.

16 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

There is actually zero opportunity costs to running this card, it replaces itself so you can comfortably play a 43 card deck.

Or a 40 card deck that is even more consistent at getting to the threats you want, in a game which already has very consistent decks.

This game just got really fast. City of the Rich Frog and Season of War are going to chew through a ton of cards on the first turn

How do mulligan's work with CotRF?

I'm assuming I can mulligan away 1-3 of the facedown cards there and refill the same amount. Seeing potentially 12 cards instead of 8 from the beginning is crazy strong, then using Season of War to see another 6. That's just under half the deck on turn one.

Mill dishonor is probably going to go from meme deck to legit threat if everyone is burning through their dynasty deck so fast. And Shiro Shinjo is going to love starting against decks with one, or more, face up provinces.

2 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

This game just got really fast. City of the Rich Frog and Season of War are going to chew through a ton of cards on the first turn

How do mulligan's work with CotRF?

I'm assuming I can mulligan away 1-3 of the facedown cards there and refill the same amount. Seeing potentially 12 cards instead of 8 from the beginning is crazy strong, then using Season of War to see another 6. That's just under half the deck on turn one.

Mill dishonor is probably going to go from meme deck to legit threat if everyone is burning through their dynasty deck so fast. And Shiro Shinjo is going to love starting against decks with one, or more, face up provinces.

Mulligan's happen during set up at Step 6 and Frog's fill up to 3 happens after set up so you should only have 1 card there to Mulligan and refill with at that point.

Why is the crab holding deck thing dead? Because of season of war? Cant you still use cancels and such against it? Or protect the wall in your stronghold until the season of war is spent (I doubt it will be taken in copies of 3), or combine the new daimyo who searcjes for holdings with affluence to bring a 45 card deck and compensate for the potential loss?

35 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Mulligan's happen during set up at Step 6 and Frog's fill up to 3 happens after set up so you should only have 1 card there to Mulligan and refill with at that point.

Ah ha. So those last two cards are unknown until the flip. Sweet just like the old days.

@Poi68 @Hordeoverseer It like that episode of Doctor Who where the 10th Doctor tried to change a fix point in time and the details changed....but not the outcome.

Though to be fair you could use A Season of War to potentially drop your Kaiu walls onto your provinces too. Yes it’s not as good as wiping them all out, but still a bonus.

Edited by Hyperjayman
16 minutes ago, Hyperjayman said:

@Poi68 @Hordeoverseer It like that episode of Doctor Who where the 10th Doctor tried to change a fix point in time and the details changed....but not the outcome.

Though to be fair you could use A Season of War to potentially drop your Kaiu walls onto your provinces too. Yes it’s not as good as wiping them all out, but still a bonus.

If Season of War was shuffling the cards back in your deck, I'm more inclined to agree.

The action on A Season for War does not appear to be confined to the dynasty phase, even though it ends the dynasty phase.

Did I also miss something in how dynasty events work in that article?

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

The action on A Season for War does not appear to be confined to the dynasty phase, even though it ends the dynasty phase.

Well, there is this?

Cards can also be added to provinces via the new rally keyword, often found on brand-new dynasty events. These events represent actions that occur within their domain, and will appear in a player’s provinces just like a character or a holding. When taking actions during the dynasty phase, a player may choose to play an event from their provinces when they could play a character or take an action. Importantly, events in a player’s provinces cannot be played outside the dynasty phase. These events add a new layer to the dynasty phase, affecting the decisions you make as you manipulate the board like never before.

I need to get off the internet 'til I feel better because I'm having a serious problem reading things.

It could be age. My contract with Fu Leng is coming up for renewal so maybe those dark powers he blessed me with 20+ years ago are fading. My Oni eyes are not as glowy as they once were.

I wouldn't be suprised if we got a Conflict event that let you play Dynasty events from your provinces or something.

2 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I wouldn't be suprised if we got a Conflict event that let you play Dynasty events from your provinces or something.

I doubt it, because of the single Dynasty event we've seen so far, and how poorly that would interact with being resolved mid-Conflict.

And there we have it. Dynasty Deck size shrinked top 37. Iuchi Watu anyone? Except from effects like houndmaster there ist no downside in running 3 a season of war even if you never use the effects. Every kotei level deck will run 37 + 3. That ist bad Form.

If you don't use it, isn't it just a blank holding?