Mandalorian Vambraces

By P-47 Thunderbolt, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

3 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The micro-rocket that you are calling a Whistling Bird Launcher tapers sharply behind the warhead. So sharply, in fact, that there is just not room for the Whistling Bird missiles on the upper row

We don't know how large they are.

10 hours ago, penpenpen said:

We don't know how large they are.

Well I doubt that they are approximately 3mm long.

6 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Not a problem if they're set at an angle, rather than straight in. It's not a stranger explanation than how they made R2D2 fit in the Naboo fighter. Besides, there could be various sizes of whistling birds.

On 11/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, penpenpen said:

On the other hand, as Mandalorians are shown to be into handcrafting their stuff, it could be that Boba simply had a slightly different Whistling Bird launcher. It does have a similar cone shape with small holes in it, and there's no reason to believe that there's only one standardized design.

I'm not saying it's definitely not a micro-rocket, but given the startling similarities, only an idiot would rule a WB-launcher out altogether.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

I disagree. There are far more differences than similarities between the two weapons.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, micheldebruyn said:

These are clearly the same weapon.

We're talking about custom, hand-made weapons and armour. There's going to be minute differences between them. There's probably not two pieces of Mandalorian hardware in existence that are 100% identical.

No, they're not. The differences between them are not "minute" differences; not by a long shot. In fact there is only one similarity between them, that being holes in the cone.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:28 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

The micro-rocket that you are calling a Whistling Bird Launcher tapers sharply behind the warhead. So sharply, in fact, that there is just not room for the Whistling Bird missiles on the upper row

Exactly, the rocket has a warhead with a percussion detonator pin at the tip. It doesn't have multiple little "needles" sticking out of it either, the way the Whistling Bird does.

40 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Exactly, the rocket has a warhead with a percussion detonator pin at the tip. It doesn't have multiple little "needles" sticking out of it either, the way the Whistling Bird does.

They don't stick out unless the weapon is about to be fired.

11 minutes ago, micheldebruyn said:

They don't stick out unless the weapon is about to be fired.

Not according to the image I posted above of the Whistling Bird.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

On 11/27/2019 at 6:17 PM, penpenpen said:

Not a problem if they're set at an angle, rather than straight in. It's not a stranger explanation than how they made R2D2 fit in the Naboo fighter. Besides, there could be various sizes of whistling birds.

The Whistling Birds are all shown to be the same length. They’re ammunition, which would need to be of a standard size and length in order to fit into any of the spaces, not just specific ones. And the image of the Whistling Bird launcher being loaded shows that they are loaded straight and parallel to one another. So, no, you could not fit the projectiles into the forward most divots in Boba Fett’s micro rocket warhead.

1 minute ago, Tramp Graphics said:

That was just before they were retracted into the launcher. If you rewatch the scene, you'll see that they pull back.

18 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Do you actually watch this show?

5 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Do you actually watch this show?

I can’t.

14 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I can’t.

Then quit quoting like you know better then. 🙄

5 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I can’t.

Then maybe don't pretend to be an expert on it?

7 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

I can’t.

The dark side of the internet is a pathway to abilities that some considered to be ... unnatural.

Maybe this will help...

whistling-birds.gif

Edited by Varlie
5 minutes ago, Varlie said:

Maybe this will help...

whistling-birds.gif

🤔 Probably not. 😔

True but at least that gives everyone a chance to see as much as we have seen of them

8 hours ago, micheldebruyn said:

Then maybe don't pretend to be an expert on it?

He went based off what he saw, and he didn't have the full picture. He was corrected, and he didn't argue back, so why are you piling on him?

2 hours ago, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

He went based off what he saw, and he didn't have the full picture. He was corrected, and he didn't argue back, so why are you piling on him?

To be honest, he probably hasn't had time to respond (he has limited internet capability, as mentioned previously in other posts), and second, past experiences. He most likely (but not necessarily, we could be surprised) well respond in typical trollish bold-hammer "I know Star Wars bestest" fashion he typically does.

There have been times he has surprised people, but take a look back at some of his posts and you can see why people are tired (some totally sick and tired) of his arrogant "your wrong, I'm right/I have to win every Star Wars internet discussion" attitude.

Personally, I hope he does surprise us. It would be a pleasant one.

Edited by Jareth Valar
Just now, Jareth Valar said:

To be honest, he probably hasn't had time to respond (he has limited internet capability, as mentioned previously in other parts), and second, past experiences. He most likely (but it necessary, we could be surprised) well respond in typical trollish bold-hammer "I know Star Wars bestest" fashion he typically does.

There have been times he has surprised people, but take a look back at some of his posts and you can see why people are tired (some totally sick and tired) of his arrogant "your wrong, I'm right/I have to win every Star Wars internet discussion" attitude.

Personally, I hope he does surprise us. It would be a pleasant one.

I'm not saying he isn't, but he's replied since the original statement, and I don't see how he could or why he would argue this point. The video evidence proves it, he was just working from bad information, having only seen a still picture. A misconception that can easily be entirely forgiven.

As far as arguing as to whether the Micro-Rocket is actually a Whistling Bird launcher, I think he's right on that one and that point hasn't been proven either way, though I certainly see better arguments on the "it's not" side.

On 11/30/2019 at 12:28 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

As far as arguing as to whether the Micro-Rocket is actually a Whistling Bird launcher, I think he's right on that one and that point hasn't been proven either way, though I certainly see better arguments on the "it's not" side.

Definitionally-speaking, it wouldn't be complete crazy-talk to assert that conceptually Whistling Birds are just a custom Mandalation variation of micro-rockets.

They wouldn't be compatible with a standard micro-rocket launchers and function somewhat differently, but they are, when all is said and done, micro-sized rockets.

Not all rockets fit into all launchers in the real world, either.

Edited by Vondy
12 hours ago, Varlie said:

Maybe this will help...

whistling-birds.gif

Facts now in evidence!

Edited by Vondy
On 11/30/2019 at 12:24 PM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

Exactly.

The fact of the matter though is that the divots in the nose of Fett's micro-rocket aren't designed to hold whistling birds regardless, particularly since the tip is completely blocked off with that percussion detonator, which also blocks off the entire first row of divots. The Whistling Bird launcher has a tube for a dart right in the very tip . each launch tube also a lot larger in diameter than the divots in Fett's micro-rocket. Not only that, but, given the length of each dart, the outermost set of divots in Fett's rocket wouldn't be able to hold them since the back of the cone narrows in diameter just behind them. So, both in length and diameter , Whistling Bird darts won't fit into the head of Fett's micro-rocket.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, P-47 Thunderbolt said:

2 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

Exactly.

The fact of the matter though is that the divots in the nose of Fett's micro-rocket aren't designed to hold whistling birds regardless, particularly since the tip is completely blocked off with that percussion detonator, which also blocks off the entire first row of divots. The Whistling Bird launcher has a tube for a dart right in the very tip . each launch tube also a lot larger in diameter than the divots in Fett's micro-rocket. Not only that, but, given the length of each dart, the outermost set of divots in Fett's rocket wouldn't be able to hold them since the back of the cone narrows in diameter just behind them. So, both in length and diameter , Whistling Bird darts won't fit into the head of Fett's micro-rocket.

The reason people were piling on was Tramp was undeniably wrong and didn't admit to being wrong. For at least the last 15 years (which is how long I've known him in real life) he has repeatedly (falsely, as in he hasn't followed through when the criteria is met) declared that he will admit he's made a mistake when he is undeniably wrong. Many people would like to see him follow through on that pledge instead of his usual of either continuing to argue in the face of insurmountable evidence or going quiet and hoping someone will change the subject.

12 hours ago, Tramp Graphics said:

The Whistling Birds are all shown to be the same length. They’re ammunition, which would need to be of a standard size and length in order to fit into any of the spaces, not just specific ones. And the image of the Whistling Bird launcher being loaded shows that they are loaded straight and parallel to one another. So, no, you could not fit the projectiles into the forward most divots in Boba Fett’s micro rocket warhead.

No, we see hand made ammunition for one specific launcher, which might very well be hand made as well. It can be like a one-off exclusive hunting rifle where you have to hand load every cartridge.

This ammunition is specifically made for the mandalorian, crafted by hand by the armorer.

We are also shown that the mandalorians in this shown do not have a uniform look every set of armor and unique, likely hand crafted. Some of their weapons may be as well.

11 hours ago, penpenpen said:

No, we see hand made ammunition for one specific launcher, which might very well be hand made as well. It can be like a one-off exclusive hunting rifle where you have to hand load every cartridge.

This ammunition is specifically made for the mandalorian, crafted by hand by the armorer.

We are also shown that the mandalorians in this shown do not have a uniform look every set of armor and unique, likely hand crafted. Some of their weapons may be as well.

That doesn't wash. As a rule ammunition has to be standardized to a certain degree, particularly since a weapon will need to be reloaded after the ammo runs out, and that means being able to purchase it wherever you are at the time. A ranged weapon is pretty useless if you can't readily get ammunition for it. Even if a weaponsmith does manufacture his or her own ammunition, it is still going to be based upon standard sizes . So, any Whistling Bird ammo is going to be one standard size.

2 minutes ago, Tramp Graphics said:

That doesn't wash. As a rule ammunition has to be standardized to a certain degree, particularly since a weapon will need to be reloaded after the ammo runs out, and that means being able to purchase it wherever you are at the time. A ranged weapon is pretty useless if you can't readily get ammunition for it. Even if a weaponsmith does manufacture his or her own ammunition, it is still going to be based upon standard sizes . So, any Whistling Bird ammo is going to be one standard size.

There is some wiggle room in that though.

I do generally agree with you, but it is sufficiently possible for there to be differences in ammo that it isn't quite that cut-and-dried. She does refer to them as being very rare, which I take to mean that you can't readily buy ammo for them anyway, so it is fairly likely that you'd have to seek out the same armorer who originally made you the weapon in order to get more ammo.