Mod for Descent: Road to Legends app

By MuKen, in Road to Legend

So, just based on some things that annoy my play group I made a small mod for the RtL app and figured I'd post it up if anyone else wants the same changes.

- No more quest failure from taking too many turns, instead major perils will stack up more and more
- You can travel to town between sidequests without giving up time

You are of course free to just wait a week yourself after travelling, or forfeit the quest after you get to the double major peril if you wanted only one of these changes.

To use, download this file and overwrite the file of the same name in your

Road to Legend_Data/Managed

directory in the game files (backup your old one if you like)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mPhRCFGzIXPrCOTE1nnTSlzTnCluV4r1

Interesting mod, not being able to travel to town is also one of my group annoyances. But I think it's a balance feature, either get gold or buy gear not both.

The travel time is also there because traveling to town restores morale.

hi, great mod

can you also let us refresh items in shop without loosing time ?

I like this mod. Would it be possible to make a mod for the Delve so that it doesn't delete lives if you take too much time? Also, is there anyway to use this mod on an ipad?

Thanks for making and sharing this!

On 11/8/2019 at 11:28 AM, MuKen said:

So, just based on some things that annoy my play group I made a small mod for the RtL app and figured I'd post it up if anyone else wants the same changes.

- No more quest failure from taking too many turns, instead major perils will stack up more and more

You are of course free to just wait a week yourself after travelling, or forfeit the quest after you get to the double major peril if you wanted only one of these changes.

Just curious, how hard is it to mod this app?

On 3/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, DarwinsDog said:

Just curious, how hard is it to mod this app?

You have to decompile the c# assembly, modify the code, fix anything that was broken by the decompiler and then recompile the .dll file.

Lots of possibilities if you can mod the RtL app. Would it be possible to create new content and add it to the app this way? Instead of people having create a campaign in Valkyrie, could you adapt one of the standard campaigns to RtL play and load it into the app this way?

Separate from the work to convert the storylines and concepts and get it all plotted and written for how it should flow, do you have a feel for how much work it would take to code the content into a mod? Is it worth pursuing vs writing quests/campaigns in Valkyrie?

On 4/23/2020 at 11:41 AM, Kaaihn said:

Lots of possibilities if you can mod the RtL app. Would it be possible to create new content and add it to the app this way? Instead of people having create a campaign in Valkyrie, could you adapt one of the standard campaigns to RtL play and load it into the app this way?

Separate from the work to convert the storylines and concepts and get it all plotted and written for how it should flow, do you have a feel for how much work it would take to code the content into a mod? Is it worth pursuing vs writing quests/campaigns in Valkyrie?

To me that would be the cat's pajamas if the community had the ability to make their own RTL campaigns/quests. Now FFG under normal circumstances would probably not want this competing with their paid content but now that we have a new Descent version coming I have a feeling we've seen the end of RtL content from FFG. Assuming they're going to want everyone to migrate to the "new" game, they could at least release an editor for those of us who are heavily invested in D2E. My wife and I own all of the D2E ($$$) content are aren't keen on shelving it just because a new version is in the works, even though we will still probably buy the new version at some point.

Edited by NickelPlate
On 4/24/2020 at 1:41 AM, Kaaihn said:

The problem is that the campaign/quest logic is not in C#, it is further baked in and probably too hard to break. You could however use C# and hijack the campaign calls to implement your own system, but this would be a lot of work. I considered this early in Valkyrie but didn't, because particuarly back then it would have been frequently broken by FFG updates as a lot was still changing and it would only work for descent. Plus it would be much harder to get on mobile devices.

On 8/13/2020 at 6:36 AM, NickelPlate said:

To me that would be the cat's pajamas if the community had the ability to make their own RTL campaigns/quests. Now FFG under normal circumstances would probably not want this competing with their paid content but now that we have a new Descent version coming I have a feeling we've seen the end of RtL content from FFG. Assuming they're going to want everyone to migrate to the "new" game, they could at least release an editor for those of us who are heavily invested in D2E. My wife and I own all of the D2E ($$$) content are aren't keen on shelving it just because a new version is in the works, even though we will still probably buy the new version at some point.

This reads like you don't know about Valkyrie, check it out:

https://npbruce.github.io/valkyrie/index.html

Any chance of an updated version of this Muken?