Why only two bases in the Huge Ship Conversion Kit?

By drail14me, in X-Wing

It doesn't.

2 hours ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

It doesn't.

Simple test to see if you got everything you needed to convert any and all of your huge ships.

1. Did you get all the ship cards, base plates, and dials needed to run at least one each of your huge ships in a given match?

2. Did you get upgrade cards that will allow you to run your Huge ships in a match?

3. Did you get ship bases which will allow you to use one each of your ships in a given match?

If the answer to the above were all "Yes", then congratulations! The Huge Ship Conversion Kit is allowing you to convert ships in your collection for use in 2.0 edition. Note my emphasis on "you" and "your". The conversion kit is not, and never was, intended to let you convert every ship in your collection at the exact same time. Nor was it intended for you to be using it to convert ships for all sides in a battle. Well, unless it's a 2 person match and each of you are only fielding one Huge ship. There's only one copy each of the ship cards, even though those aren't unique. That right there should have warned you this isn't intended to let you convert six rebel Huge ships all at once, as an example. Huge ships kind of want to be upgraded so they aren't just a point pinata. You only get 2 of most non-unique upgrades. That again should have clued you in that it's not intended to be letting you field more then 2 Huge ships at a time just using a single conversion kit.

So, let's say you decide to buy more Huge Conversion Kits because you really want to field 4 C-Roc in the same battle. After all, you had previously bought 4 C-Rocs in 1st edition. What will be your "waste" product from each additional conversion kit?

1. Title cards from the additional conversion kits, these are Unique

2. Command Crew from the additional conversion kits, these are Unique

3. Toryn Farr crew card from the additional conversion kits, this is Unique

Or in other words, only the Unique cards are "wasted" if you buy more then one conversion kit.

If you don't have and don't plan on ever buying any of the Huge ships for other factions the ship cards, title cards, and so forth for those ships might be considered "wasted" too. But if you're undecided, saving those too might be a good idea.

News flash, every time you buy an additional copy of any ship you're getting duplicate Unique cards which you can't use. If I were to run out and buy a 2nd CR-90 then I'd find that all the Crew Command cards, title cards and Toryn Farr crew card are pointless since I already have them, and they're unique. I just got in 2 more Tie Advanced X1, and most of the ship cards in them were useless to me since they were unique pilots. And I already had those pilots from the first Tie Advanced X1 I bought.

This is the same frickin argument we had with the original conversion kits and the answer is going to be the same.

Is the conversion kit good? Yes.

Is the conversion kit perfect? No.

Is it OK for people to like the CK? Yes.

Is it OK for people to not like the CK? Yes.

Y'all just arguing in circles. Yes, I'm still a little salty about all the extra large base dials and lack of interceptor generics and dials in the CK. Sure, a third base in the kit would be great. I f you want to provide all the huge ships for both sides of an engagement, you will need two conversion kits. And that doesn't seem like a war crime to me. But let people complain if they want. There are also legitimate gripes to be made about the kits.

The three huge ships that are not currently on my table are sitting on their bellies on a shelf. That's lame. But I have huge ships on the table ready to play with 2.0 rules. That's awesome!

I don't begrudge people complaining. But I will call them out if they claim they were deceived by deceptive marketing or that the conversion kits lie about being able to convert their collection on the grounds of "there's not enough bases".

I don't think I was decieved I just think only being able to use 2 at once is not good enough for the price. I thin I would have accepted 3, but 2 is poor value, and for anybody that has all 5 means they have to get 3 kits which is super wasteful card board wise. Lame.

Plus they aren't even putting this stuff on the app, and all the mistakes and quality issues just all adds up to leaving a bad bad taste. I hope they do the YT-2000 now that it's been in the Mandalorian

But if you have one each of all 5 Huge ships, you can't field them all at once in the same squadron anyway. At most you can field two ships in the same squadron unless you're running duplicates. At which point, why does it matter that you can't field your 5 different ships all at once?

I guess the difference here is the people that just buy their own stuff Vs people like me that host all the games, and my friends all use my stuff.

Competitive play and just having to field one side isn't the only way people do x-wing.

I am buying to field an opponent too. Granted, I'm only getting 2 factions, but thanks to early birthday presents I now have enough stuff that I could easily supply a 2v2 battle or a 500 point Epic battle with capital ships. Weirdly enough, I have more ships for the Galactic Empire even though I fly Rebel Alliance.

11 minutes ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

I guess the difference here is the people that just buy their own stuff Vs people like me that host all the games, and my friends all use my stuff.

Competitive play and just having to field one side isn't the only way people do x-wing.

Agreed, but we all know they can’t make everyone happy.

Seriously and honestly, I don’t think they could do much better here. 95% of people will only need one kit. 4.5% will probably need two (since they provide for both sides or have multiples of each type). Only 0.5% would have to buy more than two, and if you’ve invested $1000+ in huge ships, I feel like $90 MSRP to make them ALL amazingly playable and more fun than ever is a comparatively affordable rate.

I understand the complaints, but read my posts up thread; pretty much any other way of rolling this out would have made MORE people upset, not less.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:33 PM, ClassicalMoser said:

Okay, I'll bite. Have you heard the term "Economies of scale?"

I'm a fledgling game designer. (..)

5x markup? Because of logistics. (...) Now they're making $10 off each, from which they have to pay the Disney license (which surely takes something like a 10% cut, maybe $3), (...)

That was a pretty good write up.

I think the Star Wars license cost is actually higher, if you look at e.g. Lego, all Star Wars Lego is roughly 25% more expensive than Lego's own license free series.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:23 PM, LagJanson said:

This should really apply to either side of an argument. The bickering is pointless... until the app has the points for bickering added to it, anyway.

Doubtful, they will add bickering points ;)

when they do not even care about adding Huge ships :( !!

4 hours ago, Talonbane Cobra said:

Context!

I do get your position and sympathize. The hobby is so much more expensive when you’re footing the bill for the rest of the crew.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Wilder said:

Don't worry about it. Apologists gonna apologist, and the FFG apologists here will basically stand on their heads and recite Ayn Rand in order to deny any validity of the criticism of FFG's most egregious choices.

I don't know who Ayn Rand is, but I have noticed many people who will bend over backwards to find fault with FFG, to the point of ignoring legitimate shortcomings in order to continue harping on their preferred complaint.

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by "FFG apologists"? The way you throw the term around, you seem to be defining it as "anyone who has ever had a non-negative opinion about anything FFG-related".

On 11/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, SabineKey said:

Soooo...you are simply going to declare yourself right, and anyone with an opposing point of view is an apologist? There is no chance they could have a point?

Of course not! FFG are pure evil and incompetence-incarnate who have never made a good (in any sense of the word) business decision or put out any products worth paying for! That's why we all spend so much time on their message boards, obviously.

4 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I don't know who Ayn Rand is,

Ayn Rand wrote a novel called Atlas Shrugged back in the late 1950's. I've read it, and it's not a particularly good story. In fact, it's a thinly veiled manifesto on her beliefs. These include "Reason is All", "Logic is All", and "Ruthless capitalism unchecked by regulations or rules is an ideal to strive for." In fact, Rand seems to have viewed the ruthless and often amoral industrial leaders of the 1800's as champions of "true" capitalism and an ideal to strive for going forward.

Atlas Shrugged is the only book I have ever "hate read." Gah. What a slog. I only finished it because I refused to let the book beat me.

Seems to me, zealots on either side just want someone to massage their egos. Arch-conservatives are would-be plutocrats that like to think they are smarter than everyone else and the only reason they aren't in charge is because the system isn't fair and doesn't reward their obvious genius. Arch-liberals are would-be aristocrats who think they are smarter than everyone else and the only reason they aren't in charge is because people aren't enlightened enough to recognize their obvious genius. Anything that artificially polishes our own pride is extremely seductive. (Just ask Ace players. kidding/not kidding)

On 11/17/2019 at 7:01 AM, Faerie1979 said:

But if you have one each of all 5 Huge ships, you can't field them all at once in the same squadron anyway. At most you can field two ships in the same squadron unless you're running duplicates. At which point, why does it matter that you can't field your 5 different ships all at once?

I wouldn't have a problem with this except for 2 things. I have 2 of each Huge ship (Except the GR-75), and 2 conversion kits. I like to display my Huge Ships but the original bases fall apart all the time if you so much as breathe on them. And 2.They don't sell Medium and Huge Ship Bases separately. I wish they did, but they don't and I don't need the dials, cardboard, and cards from a 3rd & 4th conversion kits just for the 4 bases I need. I bought a 2.0 CR-90 so I have the base for that ship..