Would anyone play a single player KOTOR game these days?

By Conandoodle, in X-Wing Off-Topic

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I would SO Play a game with realistic lightsaber combat. I would also swear at that game. But you are right, that isn't a mechanic for an RPG. But neither is a game where a lightsaber hits you, in your underwear, and DOES NOTHING - that is kotor. If the animation (and system) were better they could have dodges and parries, and we DO have weapons with energy fields that resist lightsabers. But no. Cortosis underoos for EVERYONE on the the generic amnesiac express, totally not the Ripoff Millennium Falcon, that is the ebon hawk.

Uh, they do have dodges and parries. Like honestly.

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Uh, they do have dodges and parries. Like honestly.

Also has people getting hit in the head with lightsabers. And Tusken raiders having weapons that could parry lightsabers. It was bad.

4 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Also has people getting hit in the head with lightsabers. And Tusken raiders having weapons that could parry lightsabers. It was bad.

The game wasn't bad.

It was just an RPG.

9 hours ago, KCDodger said:

The game wasn't bad.

It was just an RPG.

Differing points of view. The story wasn't good, the overall feel of the game was derivative. While some of the aliens and visuals were nice, I immensely disliked the Not stormtroopers, the not TIE fighters, the Not Millennium Falcon, Not Bacta etc.. so many things did the exact same thing as what was already in Star Wars, but with the serial numbers filed off.

for me, the story had no emotional appeal. The revan reveal was telegraphed. The fact that, no matter what, you HAVE to play q combat focused charter because that was the way to do things.

Perhaps I have been ruined by RPG’s because of a game that came out four years prior to kotors release.. a game called Planescape: Torment. In that game, there was so much better writing, again, an amnesiac character, but handled correctly. There were SO many ways to defeat the wnd boss. ****, you could TALK to them in that game, and sway them over to your point if view. I tried doing that in kotor, bur was rewarded with fight after fight. That is all the game was, fight and loot.

So no, it wasn't an RPG. It was not a good game, but it WAS a great marketing move that masses ate up because - Star Wars. They enjoyed grinding to find their rare modifier for their lightsabers.

Eh. The game engine did its best at the time; I don't mind some things being abstracted or change to work with an RPG. I would much rather have KotOR as-is than not have had it at all due to being too picky.

Also, I think the Ebon Hawk is freakin' sweet. Basically any freighter in the Star Wars universe could be a "Ripoff Millennium Falcon"; we just happened to become familiar with the Falcon first.

On 12/1/2019 at 7:55 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

So no, it wasn't an RPG.

Objectively: Yes, it was. You played a role and interacted with other characters / environments in varying ways to complete that role. It may not have been your preferred idea of a roleplaying game, but your subjective idea of what an RPG should be does not change the objective truth that it was an RPG that many people actually liked a lot.

It was not a good game

That's your subjective opinion. Mine is that it was an awesome game.

Perhaps I have been ruined by RPG’s because of a game that came out four years prior to kotors release

Maybe so. 🙂 If true, I'm kinda glad I didn't play that game myself and thereby ruin my chance of enjoying lots of other stuff.

25 minutes ago, Vectivus333 said:

Maybe so. 🙂 If true, I'm kinda glad I didn't play that game myself and thereby ruin my chance of enjoying lots of other stuff.

It is difficult, I suppose, realizing how a good game can make you not willing to accept middling quality (at best) for games.

18 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

It is difficult, I suppose, realizing how a good game can make you not willing to accept middling quality (at best) for games.

I guess. I think (with some obvious exceptions one can find out there) that "good" and "middling" are very subjective terms. When I go back and play KotOR now, I'm still rather taken with it and find myself able to immerse easily. I think it's a good game and (for its time) a good-quality game.

Yes MMOs kind of suck because they never have good story lines.. just shoot scoot collect etc.. They become tedious after awhile...KOTOR was great! Same reason i like the earlier fallouts.. great story lines and NPCs.. 76 is just a grind..

Same with Destiny..

On 11/14/2019 at 4:41 PM, SabineKey said:

Definitely. Played and loved plenty of single player Star Wars Games like both Kotors, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and so on. Still real sad that 1313 got cancelled.

a036vl5dt7851.png

1313 Game Demo Prototype Environment

Totally down for something like what 1313 was supposed to be: a non-force user in the universe of Star Wars. You could make the force terrifying in that game as only the rare enemy would use it, and would be a challenge to your plain jane, non-force user self. If the Mandalorian has proven anything, it's that we has stomach a non-force user protagonist.

I would really like to play a new KOTOR game - and I hope it wouldn't be turn-based. Just imagine a Mass Effect in the Star Wars universe.