Would anyone play a single player KOTOR game these days?

By Conandoodle, in X-Wing Off-Topic

I’m curious .. I loved the original KOTOR series. The MMO never grabbed me. Would there be any interest in a Skyrim/ Fallout 4 sized KOTOR single player RPG?

Is there a market for this? Is there a return on investment for a game like this?

The new SW game seems very linear.

I would.

Yeah, or something like them.

Now that the GOTBROS are out on making SW films, and the rumor was that they would be tackling this sort of era, maybe a video game could come in and fill that void.

7 hours ago, Conandoodle said:

I’m curious .. I loved the original KOTOR series. The MMO never grabbed me. Would there be any interest in a Skyrim/ Fallout 4 sized KOTOR single player RPG?

Is there a market for this? Is there a return on investment for a game like this?

The new SW game seems very linear.

I would.

I so would.

I would so play a fuuuckq out of that game.

I would and then write eveh Wookieepedia page needed like I did the original KotOR.

From your monkey lips to God’s ears @Conandoodle

jymxc0uzu4x31.png

I’ve got a Star Wars secret.

I LOVED the original Knights of the Old Republic, as in in I still think it’s one of the BEST story arcs I have ever played in ANY genre.

I wanted to leave a little bit of my own experience in from my playthrough.

I always played Revan as a female, and always made her double wield Lightsabers. Red and Purple.*

I liked the color combination and it also alluded to the story arc that Revan was redeemed, then fell again.

So way back when artists and fans would depict Revan with a single or double Lightsaber I would say “hey amzing art! But shouldn't Revan have two Lightsabers?” or “why is the other blade not Purple.” I did this in chats, with Cosplayers at conventions, wikis and even panels.

No one ever corrected me. Ever.

IT STUCK. It became Canon.

There are even YouTube vids explaining the colors decades after my little ploy started.

So you see younglings, all things are possible with a confident smile and The Dark Side of The Force.

*I would like to point out that Mace Windu uses an Ametnyst Lightsaber officially.

Yes, but I don't want it to be KOTOR. But I would absolutely play a game in this style.

3 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

jymxc0uzu4x31.png

I’ve got a Star Wars secret.

I LOVED the original Knights of the Old Republic, as in in I still think it’s one of the BEST story arcs I have ever played in ANY genre.

I wanted to leave a little bit of my own experience in from my playthrough.

I always played Revan as a female, and always made her double wield Lightsabers. Red and Purple.*

I liked the color combination and it also alluded to the story arc that Revan was redeemed, then fell again.

So way back when artists and fans would depict Revan with a single or double Lightsaber I would say “hey amzing art! But shouldn't Revan have two Lightsabers?” or “why is the other blade not Purple.” I did this in chats, with Cosplayers at conventions, wikis and even panels.

No one ever corrected me. Ever.

IT STUCK. It became Canon.

There are even YouTube vids explaining the colors decades after my little ploy started.

So you see younglings, all things are possible with a confident smile and The Dark Side of The Force.

*I would like to point out that Mace Windu uses an Ametnyst Lightsaber officially.

I've single handedly fought against Wookieepedia's mis-scaling of the HWK-290 for over ten years.

When Disney took over and all that remained was FFG and LFL's interpretation, and not WoTC?

I won. I'd won that fight. I corrected it everywhere I could and fought tooth and nail over my favorite ship. I've been there.

1 minute ago, KCDodger said:

I've single handedly fought against Wookieepedia's mis-scaling of the HWK-290 for over ten years.

When Disney took over and all that remained was FFG and LFL's interpretation, and not WoTC?

I won. I'd won that fight. I corrected it everywhere I could and fought tooth and nail over my favorite ship. I've been there.

Oh I feel your pain, and there were bigger fights!

It took us years and university professors to establish that the Executor was 10 miles long and not five.

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Oh I feel your pain, and there were bigger fights!

It took us years and university professors to establish that the Executor was 10 miles long and not five.

Oh, I knew there were bigger fights. But The HWK-290 was MY fight. I only knew one other person who knew what I knew and didn't bend to wookieepedia. Millennium Falsehood. The artist of this legendary piece that MANY had considered or confused as official artwork.

184238b5798a9bf5edc686511f94414f.png

And even the artist for those books had congratulated him for his work.

I would play a single player game in a heartbeat... as long as it is far away from the bantha poodoo that was kotor.

Based on the reaction to recent SW games and the positive reaction to how the new one is shaping up, I feel that this sort of game is pretty much EXACTLY what people want these days. I feel in general too the trend of multiplayer games is swinging back to people wanting solo, story-based games more.

7 hours ago, InterceptorMad said:

Based on the reaction to recent SW games and the positive reaction to how the new one is shaping up, I feel that this sort of game is pretty much EXACTLY what people want these days. I feel in general too the trend of multiplayer games is swinging back to people wanting solo, story-based games more.

It never swung away from that. The industry tried to PUSH it away from that.

Yeah, people never really stopped wanting good single-player games. Multiplayer games have been pretty popular as well but the industry itself also basically decided they could make more money off of multiplayer games because of "live services" and pushed that type of game, even flatly lying about whether people wanted single player experiences.

54 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

Yeah, people never really stopped wanting good single-player games. Multiplayer games have been pretty popular as well but the industry itself also basically decided they could make more money off of multiplayer games because of "live services" and pushed that type of game, even flatly lying about whether people wanted single player experiences.

The other thing on those lines is that folks finish a single-player game and sell it to the used game store eating into the game's profits. Folks hold onto multi-players games or games with it longer. I'm guessing with the "progress" on digital only purchases they can make single-player games again since they don't get sold to the used game store.

I definitely would, loved playing both of the kotor games and I occasionally go back and replay the games.

Fallen Order comes out tomorrow, my birthday no less, so I am looking forward to it. Hopefully it is good, couls be the start of more games like it.

Definitely. Played and loved plenty of single player Star Wars Games like both Kotors, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and so on. Still real sad that 1313 got cancelled.

15 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Still real sad that 1313 got cancelled.

THIS !!! 😭

17 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Still real sad that 1313 got cancelled.

Wait for it ...

Scum players never catch a break in any medium. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Oh yes. I would play KOTOR again. Both of the old ones and the ‘new’ one coming out.

I would very happily play a single-player Star Wars RPG. I still run through KotOR again every now and then.

A single player Star Wars game with a decent story? As long as it doesn't have KOTOR's wanna be Final Fantasy gameplay mechanics I'd play it. Especially if it also had the option to completely ignore the story and play open world style.

Edited by Hiemfire

I'd love another proper star wars RPG.

Would also love a continuation of the Jedi Knight games too

That would mean my return to video games!

Loved Bastila, she became one of my most favourite SW characters! Hope Disney makes KOTOR/SWOTOR new products in this setting and Im not refering to more video games (but single player adventure games, like Uncharted, but in this setting would be instant money for the franchise, just get superb writers and voice actors... Please? 52qfBR0.jpg

Edited by Mpori
On 11/14/2019 at 10:18 PM, Hiemfire said:

A single player Star Wars game with a decent story? As long as it doesn't have KOTOR's wanna be Final Fantasy gameplay mechanics I'd play it. Especially if it also had the option to completely ignore the story and play open world style.

As long as it isn't KOTOR.. but I agree the mechanics were horrible - and based on the d20 Star Wars RPG that wizards of the coast put out at the time.

I hated how every person in kotor had their entire clothing made from cortosis as ligjtsabers just bounced off of them. Sigh so many bad things about that game.

On 11/24/2019 at 10:49 AM, That Blasted Samophlange said:

As long as it isn't KOTOR.. but I agree the mechanics were horrible - and based on the d20 Star Wars RPG that wizards of the coast put out at the time.

I hated how every person in kotor had their entire clothing made from cortosis as ligjtsabers just bounced off of them. Sigh so many bad things about that game.

Imagine if you had one hit kill zero effort at all times weapons, and RNG decided enemy lightsabers- in sheer fairness of mechanics, did the same to you.

They're already the single highest damage weapons in the game, man. If one wants an RPG with "Realistic" lightsaber mechanics they're not even asking for a role playing game.

3 minutes ago, KCDodger said:

Imagine if you had one hit kill zero effort at all times weapons, and RNG decided enemy lightsabers- in sheer fairness of mechanics, did the same to you.

They're already the single highest damage weapons in the game, man. If one wants an RPG with "Realistic" lightsaber mechanics they're not even asking for a role playing game.

I would SO Play a game with realistic lightsaber combat. I would also swear at that game. But you are right, that isn't a mechanic for an RPG. But neither is a game where a lightsaber hits you, in your underwear, and DOES NOTHING - that is kotor. If the animation (and system) were better they could have dodges and parries, and we DO have weapons with energy fields that resist lightsabers. But no. Cortosis underoos for EVERYONE on the the generic amnesiac express, totally not the Ripoff Millennium Falcon, that is the ebon hawk.