Heroes of the Aturi Cluster Second Edition

By Hinnyboy, in X-Wing

Fantastic. I just printed out some of it and am working on getting it all cut out. Are there any updates on development?

Form what I see the versions of @Hinnyboy and the one from the Facebook are quite different.

The Hinnyboy is more streamlined, offers different progression paths for pilots (Engineer, Ace, Force) and uses Wing mechanics from Epic Play for Enemy formations. On the other hand the Facebook one is a more direct upgrade from 1st Edition and I guess as a more uptodate AI Card.

Wich one to play??

5 hours ago, DerRitter said:

Form what I see the versions of @Hinnyboy and the one from the Facebook are quite different.

The Hinnyboy is more streamlined, offers different progression paths for pilots (Engineer, Ace, Force) and uses Wing mechanics from Epic Play for Enemy formations. On the other hand the Facebook one is a more direct upgrade from 1st Edition and I guess as a more uptodate AI Card.

Wich one to play??

Check both, pick whichever you like the most. Facebook group is quite active, and feedback is greatly appreciated and useful 😊

My brother and I are having a great time playing through the available missions. So far we've played the intro (a little bit of a struggle), the first missions of both arcs, which were pretty easy, and then the second mission of the Refueling station arc. That one might need a little adjusting, unless it's intentional for there to be 6 interceptors on the table turn 3. :P We rolled 12, 15, and then 20 dice during the sensor check. If it didn't limit it to 6 interceptors we would have had 10 on the table. Two of our ships got decimated and the other two barely managed to escape with the mission not even close to complete. We still had a blast, though. I think next time we will make it 1 die per ship within range 0-3 of each sensor beacon.

On 12/25/2019 at 2:26 AM, arnoldrew said:

Fantastic. I just printed out some of it and am working on getting it all cut out. Are there any updates on development?

No unfortunately, I have not had time or energy to do anything of the sort lately. Hopefully I can find time to do something soon.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:20 PM, arnoldrew said:

My brother and I are having a great time playing through the available missions. So far we've played the intro (a little bit of a struggle), the first missions of both arcs, which were pretty easy, and then the second mission of the Refueling station arc. That one might need a little adjusting, unless it's intentional for there to be 6 interceptors on the table turn 3. :P We rolled 12, 15, and then 20 dice during the sensor check. If it didn't limit it to 6 interceptors we would have had 10 on the table. Two of our ships got decimated and the other two barely managed to escape with the mission not even close to complete. We still had a blast, though. I think next time we will make it 1 die per ship within range 0-3 of each sensor beacon.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will make adjustments to the missions you mentioned. I will consider using your suggestion.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:20 PM, arnoldrew said:

It is intentional, for part 2 of that mission string, where all those sensor beacons are, for there to be a big possibility of up to 6 interceptors A TURN coming in. That's why you

A) need to have lots of ships with stealth devices,

B) TAKE sensors out swiftly

and C) stay at range!

So I'm just about to start a campaign and I'm wondering what the value in switching ships is? The B-Wing feels like a side grade to the X/Y and the A/hwk feel like downgrades for way more points than is worth for that change.

Tactics. Running a B-wing is very different to running an X or Y wing. A wings, as the sprinters are very different to run than a HWK or X-wing.. HWKS are good as 'cooperative ships' (with their crew slot)...

9 hours ago, Nyxen said:

So I'm just about to start a campaign and I'm wondering what the value in switching ships is? The B-Wing feels like a side grade to the X/Y and the A/hwk feel like downgrades for way more points than is worth for that change.

Well, as stated in the rule pdf you first sell your old ship full refund. Pay 5 pts + ship cost of the other ship. So if you change to a ship listed as the same cost as your current you will only be paying 5 pts for the switch.

As to why you would want to switch to another ship, I guess it is a matter of taste really.

25 minutes ago, Hinnyboy said:

Well, as stated in the rule pdf you first sell your old ship full refund. Pay 5 pts + ship cost of the other ship. So if you change to a ship listed as the same cost as your current you will only be paying 5 pts for the switch.

I totally missed that, thanks for clarifying!

Also, HotAC 1st ed was older than Rebels introducing the Phoenix Squadron Pilot. Before that, the Awing was presented as an elite intercepter, and HotAC has maintained that presentation even though it really would make a better "non-astromech" starting ship option.

I am in the process of introducing X-Wing to some fellow players in my office with Heroes.

I have two questions though:

- Does all the normal upgrade cards are accessible to the players (like crack shot, hull upgrade, afterburners, Modly Crow Title, ...) ? at the cost suggested by FFG ?

- When you get a level, do you have acces to all the bonuses (meaning lvl 3 = possibility to change a ship AND add a mod ) ?

Thanks !

Edited by Silver_leader
1 hour ago, Silver_leader said:

I am in the process of introducing X-Wing to some fellow players in my office with Heroes.

I have two questions though:

- Does all the normal upgrade cards are accessible to the players (like crack shot, hull upgrade, afterburners, Modly Crow Title, ...) ? at the cost suggested by FFG ?

- When you get a level, do you have acces to all the bonuses (meaning lvl 3 = possibility to change a ship AND add a mod ) ?

Thanks !

Yes and yes.

Hi there! Just coming back to X-wing after a long hiatus (so many games, so little time) and am in the process of converting my 1.0 stuff over to 2.0. Have grabbed the most recent Version 0.3 zip files from GitHub...thinking all I need to take the campaign for a spin is the Core Campaign zip and the Experience Tree zip? No need for the source code files for a moisture farmer on some obscure planet from the Outer Rim like me?

Amazing job @Hinnyboy , thanks for all the hard work you've poured into this project!

A quick question by the way, I noticed there's a mention of a 'formula' for pricing pilot abilities. What is the formula exactly? I'm asking since me and a friend are thinking of allowing some non-rebel pilot abilities into the game, but pricing them is kinda hard.

17 hours ago, TedW said:

Amazing job @Hinnyboy , thanks for all the hard work you've poured into this project!

A quick question by the way, I noticed there's a mention of a 'formula' for pricing pilot abilities. What is the formula exactly? I'm asking since me and a friend are thinking of allowing some non-rebel pilot abilities into the game, but pricing them is kinda hard.

https://github.com/Hinny/HotAC-2nd-edition/blob/master/core/output/HotAC 2nd Edition Rulebook.pdf

You can find the formula in the Appendix/FAQ section. It will not hold up for every ability but it is a good starting point.

10 hours ago, Hinnyboy said:

https://github.com/Hinny/HotAC-2nd-edition/blob/master/core/output/HotAC 2nd Edition Rulebook.pdf

You can find the formula in the Appendix/FAQ section. It will not hold up for every ability but it is a good starting point.

Right, I remember finding it after posting my question but forgot to edit it. And aye, some abilities are kinda problematic, especially for those ships that don't have generics (like brobots), but the sole fact it exists helps tremendously in plenty of cases :)

Thanks for the reply and, again, thanks for all your work on this, it's greatly appreciated! ;)

On 1/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, Nyxen said:

This was always a problem with HotAC. The A-Wing is definitely not an "upgrade." Especially not worth 5 XP (Predator, one of the most valuable EPTs in the game, is only 6, by contrast). The B-Wing is perhaps a slight upgrade, but again just slightly over the Y-Wing. Is it worth 5XP? Probably not. It isn't extremely better than a Y-Wing. It just plays different.

The A-Wing was hilariously entertaining to play at like PS7 (1st Ed) when you've unlocked PTL, Jake Farrell and Outmaneuver, but in the end it's just a 2 Attack fighter with a one shot of Prockets. Nothing will hit you if you are doing it right, but you're still really just zooming all over the map looking for damaged TIEs to poach, and not actually very valuable to the team except in one or two missions where zooming all over the place was actually useful.

For a 2nd Edition, I'd recommend giving it a Tech Slot like the RZ-2 has, and (obviously) using the improved 2nd Edition Dial. At least at that point it isn't a complete downgrade like it was in 1st Edition. There's a reason Prototype Pilot was only 17 points but the Rookie Pilot X-Wing was 21. The X-Wing is a better ship, in terms of how X-Wing and HotAC plays, all around.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:23 PM, TheVeteranSergeant said:

The A-Wing is definitely not an "upgrade."

The A-Wing is one of the best ships to fly in Aturi 2.0. Jake pilot + Sabine pilot = broken.

11 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

The A-Wing is one of the best ships to fly in Aturi 2.0. Jake pilot + Sabine pilot = broken.

Yeah, but there is no finished Aturi 2.0, and if it isn't accounting for the lower PS of 2.0 to allow broken combos, then it's just bad game design and needs to be adjusted. And if you are using 2nd Edition Pilot Skills with 1st Edition costs, then you're basically just cheating against a piece of paper and a die.

Even that aside, all a Sabine/Jake Farrell combo does is make you a gadget pilot giving teammates Focus Tokens. You still do very little damage. Like I said, big silly zoomy combos make the A-Wing fun to fly. It doesn't actually make it a good ship. The other fighters will still do almost all of the heavy lifting.

2 hours ago, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Even that aside, all a Sabine/Jake Farrell combo does is make you a gadget pilot giving teammates Focus Tokens.

I had Sabine + Jake and Cluster Missiles. That would give me lock + focus every turn and a three die attacks for 5 shots.

3 hours ago, TheVeteranSergeant said:

Yeah, but there is no finished Aturi 2.0, and if it isn't accounting for the lower PS of 2.0 to allow broken combos, then it's just bad game design and needs to be adjusted. And if you are using 2nd Edition Pilot Skills with 1st Edition costs, then you're basically just cheating against a piece of paper and a die.

Even that aside, all a Sabine/Jake Farrell combo does is make you a gadget pilot giving teammates Focus Tokens. You still do very little damage. Like I said, big silly zoomy combos make the A-Wing fun to fly. It doesn't actually make it a good ship. The other fighters will still do almost all of the heavy lifting.

Feel free to join the HotAC Facebook groups. To adjust and contribute with good game design.