Heroes of the Aturi Cluster Second Edition

By Hinnyboy, in X-Wing

I have converted Heroes of the Aturi Cluster to X-wing Second Edition.

Please take a look here and tell me what you think: https://github.com/Hinny/HotAC-2nd-edition

1 hour ago, Hinnyboy said:

Please take a look here and tell me what you think: https://github.com/Hinny/HotAC-2nd-edition

Wow, thanks!!!

HEROIC!

@Hinnyboy , you sir are a hero. Many thanks!

@Hinnyboy

HOTAC resurrected, you and all who helped are truly HEROIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Glad to see others also keeping it alive. Hotac is one of the most fun formats for me to just enjoy X-Wing with.

We literally finished our last game for our 2.0 campaign last week. Will take a look at your take on the 2.0 version.

I used some of the facebook group 2.0 conversions, coupled with 1.0 Hotac rules, and FGA ship A.I. for 2.0.

Worked out quite good.

The hero we needed!

14 hours ago, Hinnyboy said:

Awesome! I am assuming you were working with the people on the HotAC FB group, right? Just want to make sure there isn't competing versions.

I read the document, and I have to say you have made a great job streamlining many of the mechanics (like XP and wings). Gratz!

One think however, I guess you balanced the game around a 47 points starting ship. One of the problems of A-wings in HotAC was the lack of firepower that was address in Battlestar Pallas campaing with some custom upgrades and good missiles. Any plan to add some love here? Maybe the option of 1st level modifications?

Haven't looked yet, does the 2.0 version use the wing tool that we are oh-so-close to having in our grubby little hands?

9 hours ago, Bort said:

Thanks. Glad to see others also keeping it alive. Hotac is one of the most fun formats for me to just enjoy X-Wing with.

We literally finished our last game for our 2.0 campaign last week. Will take a look at your take on the 2.0 version.

I used some of the facebook group 2.0 conversions, coupled with 1.0 Hotac rules, and FGA ship A.I. for 2.0.

Worked out quite good.

HOATC 1.0 is still alive..

8 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Haven't looked yet, does the 2.0 version use the wing tool that we are oh-so-close to having in our grubby little hands?

Yes

9 hours ago, DerRitter said:

I read the document, and I have to say you have made a great job streamlining many of the mechanics (like XP and wings). Gratz!

One think however, I guess you balanced the game around a 47 points starting ship. One of the problems of A-wings in HotAC was the lack of firepower that was address in Battlestar Pallas campaing with some custom upgrades and good missiles. Any plan to add some love here? Maybe the option of 1st level modifications?

Yes they got some extra love. They get the same pivoting guns as the RZ-2 (more time on target and Tactical retreats etc.). They also start with extra talent (in addition to mod and missiles). Hopefully this in combination with the number of charges on missiles will make the a-wing sting a little more.

10 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Awesome! I am assuming you were working with the people on the HotAC FB group, right? Just want to make sure there isn't competing versions.

Depends on what you mean :)

I am part of two fb groups dealing with HotAC.

One group was created a year ago with the ambition of converting HotAC to 2nd ed. But that one lost steering half a year ago. That made me start this journey as i felt the circulating playtest documents were not leading anywhere, just a bunch of unconnected dots in my opinion.

This is a complete retake on HotAC with the design goals of streamlining using as much of existing X-wing Second Edition rules and concepts as possible (like wing formations from epic battles, instead of the old formation rules etc.). I wanted to touch on every parts so that every piece fits together without any extra work from the users/players.

I guess others have to decide if I am competing with their work.

The ambition is to have a solid foundation for the next phase, in which expansion creators and modders create new mission story arcs, new enemy ships more detailed automations, new etc.

10 hours ago, LTuser said:

HOATC 1.0 is still alive..

That may be, but i'm waaaay too lazy to keep track of two version rules sets.

8 hours ago, Hinnyboy said:

One group was created a year ago with the ambition of converting HotAC to 2nd ed. But that one lost steering half a year ago. That made me start this journey as i felt the circulating playtest documents were not leading anywhere, just a bunch of unconnected dots in my opinion.

I guess others have to decide if I am competing with their work.

The ambition is to have a solid foundation for the next phase, in which expansion creators and modders create new mission story arcs, new enemy ships more detailed automations, new etc.

I suspect the "dead" one is what I used as base for my campaign. There were a couple of things that worked, and some that didn't.

In the end, its all "user based" rules. And everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Unlike the formal X-Wing rules this is not used for any form of international tournament, so who cares if everyone plays a slightly different version of the game, as long as we are all having fun.

5 hours ago, Bort said:

That may be, but i'm waaaay too lazy to keep track of two version rules sets.

I suspect the "dead" one is what I used as base for my campaign. There were a couple of things that worked, and some that didn't.

In the end, its all "user based" rules. And everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Unlike the formal X-Wing rules this is not used for any form of international tournament, so who cares if everyone plays a slightly different version of the game, as long as we are all having fun.

I agree that every one can and should do as they like, but there is also merit to standardize things (that may prove too difficult though) so that add-ons etc from different creators can be used together with minimal effort. At least, that was my idea.

15 hours ago, Hinnyboy said:

Depends on what you mean :)

I am part of two fb groups dealing with HotAC.

One group was created a year ago with the ambition of converting HotAC to 2nd ed. But that one lost steering half a year ago.

I just know of one that Josh D. started. I know people there were working with Josh's overall blessing. I know @Biff was working with them.

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

I just know of one that Josh D. started. I know people there were working with Josh's overall blessing. I know @Biff was working with them.

I don't know who started it but Josh was part of it. In FB I only see real names so I don't know if @Biff was part of it. I first vented this idea there and got some feedback etc.

I hope I have not stepped on anyone's toes. If so I am really sorry.

Anyway, I hope that the work is evaluated by its content and not by who has worked on it.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Edited by Hinnyboy
10 minutes ago, Hinnyboy said:

I don't know who started it but Josh was part of it. In FB I only see real names so I don't know if @Biff was part of it.

I hope I have not stepped on anyone's toes. If so I am really sorry.

Anyway, I hope that the work is evaluated by its content and not by who has worked on it.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

@Hinnyboy "The force is strong in this one"

Well I have downloaded the content through the link at first glance it look well put together. A friend of mine and I have played HOTAC 1.0 and that was loads of fun. We will look to play-test some of this new content and provide feedback as we play. I have noticed some typos in the rules and mission docs, will have to make a list and let you know at a later date, I want to play-test a few missions first. I noticed that some of the missions have not been converted over from 1.0 to 2.0. I am going to attempt converting them based off of your new input rules etc and 1.0 content.

What did you use as templates (program etc) for the rebel ship cards, Pilot sheets, automation ship cards and Imperial Pilot cards as I would like to be able to take a stab at working on defender, Phantom etc automation cards and ship cards as well as looking at possibly converting the Wookie gunship, Sheathipede and Attack Shuttle as other possible ship options.

Live long and .................May the force be with you.

6 hours ago, Cpt.Kirk006 said:

@Hinnyboy "The force is strong in this one"

Well I have downloaded the content through the link at first glance it look well put together. A friend of mine and I have played HOTAC 1.0 and that was loads of fun. We will look to play-test some of this new content and provide feedback as we play. I have noticed some typos in the rules and mission docs, will have to make a list and let you know at a later date, I want to play-test a few missions first. I noticed that some of the missions have not been converted over from 1.0 to 2.0. I am going to attempt converting them based off of your new input rules etc and 1.0 content.

What did you use as templates (program etc) for the rebel ship cards, Pilot sheets, automation ship cards and Imperial Pilot cards as I would like to be able to take a stab at working on defender, Phantom etc automation cards and ship cards as well as looking at possibly converting the Wookie gunship, Sheathipede and Attack Shuttle as other possible ship options.

Live long and .................May the force be with you.

Yes! Typos and mission feedback is most welcome! I have already prepared some play-test questions and created a google form ( link ) . I think that is easiest, otherwise feel free to drop a line here or anywhere else.

Getting help with the defender and/or phantom automation/imperial pilot cards etc. would be absolutely stellar. Time is short and there is a lot of work ahead, so getting help would be great. Just tell me what you are working on so I don't work on the same. For this first draft I used google's set of office tools (mainly Google Drawings). Here is a link to some templates ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pyc3MTssrGIFHM9TsN5qpUHTtgXd4Mnp ). Try and clone them and start playing around. Tell me if it is working or not and if you need additional input. For the Rebel ship cards I used my plug-in for Strange Eons ( https://github.com/Hinny/strange-eons-xwing2 ). Tell me if you need help setting it up.

In the future I want to create Strange Eons support for the other cards as well to get better quality graphic designs and to make it easier to work with as well. An additional bonus is that Strange Eons files can be saved and version controlled in the github repo for easier version history etc.

Edited by Hinnyboy

@Hinnyboy As per Sheldon "Time is neither short nor long, it is constant"

Thank you for the links to the templates I am sure this will help. I will attempt to work on the Phantom automation, Pilot cards and missions in the mission arc "Chasing Phantoms parts 1-4. I hope that I can get this right but I am sure I will make mistakes. As soon as I have some drafts I will reach out to you again. My friend and I are really jazzed up with being able to help make HOTAC 2.0 being a thing.Once the Phantoms are done we can see what I can help out with next.

Live long and ................... May the force be with you.

Rick AKA Asmodeon (T3 nickname)

I’m glad this was made, seeing all the files scattered across that Facebook group, not being in one place and organized made me not even want to attempt HoTAC 2.0.

This looks awesome - great work @Hinnyboy !

I do have a question, and maybe I just am being daft, but where are the prices for the upgrade cards? For example, how much does proton torpedoes cost? Is it as simple as using FFG's actual point list pdf?

3 hours ago, schdarr said:

This looks awesome - great work @Hinnyboy !

I do have a question, and maybe I just am being daft, but where are the prices for the upgrade cards? For example, how much does proton torpedoes cost? Is it as simple as using FFG's actual point list pdf?

Thanks!

Yes exactly, use the official point list pdf.

Edited by Hinnyboy