How did FFG get away with it.

By jhh3, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

This is sad. I wqs just getting into IA when I heard it is canceled.

I am not sure anymore, and yes I know it is a great game and all but I don't want to invest tons of cash and then they announce a 2.0 or a new game.

I already invested in Armada, X-Wing and legion.

On 12/28/2019 at 8:07 PM, Cavkov said:

I am not sure anymore, and yes I know it is a great game and all but I don't want to invest tons of cash and then they announce a 2.0 or a new game.

Unlikely.

It mostly depends why you want to get into IA. If it is for Skirmish, I wouldn‘t recommend it. But if you are interested in the campaign then I‘d say: go for it!

4 hours ago, Nurgle23 said:

Unlikely.

It mostly depends why you want to get into IA. If it is for Skirmish, I wouldn‘t recommend it. But if you are interested in the campaign then I‘d say: go for it!

I am interested in the campaign.

There is a guy who will be selling his entire collection soon that I know of so maybe I will buy it from him. I always buy new stuff to support my games, but if they already decided to not support the game, then any new sales won't matter I guess.

59 minutes ago, Cavkov said:

There is a guy who will be selling his entire collection soon that I know of so maybe I will buy it from him. I always buy new stuff to support my games, but if they already decided to not support the game, then any new sales won't matter I guess.

Trust me, you'll have a ton of new content to get through.

You'll have the Core campaign, and three other full campaigns, as well as 2 mini campaigns and one middling one.

A full campaign is about 12-13 missions, with a mini campaign being about 3. A single mission takes usually 1-4 hours (or longer, if your group are analyzers), so a full campaign could easily take well over 20 hours to play. Take into consideration that the campaigns usually have branching story paths, and side missions are usually totally random, and you really have hundreds of hours just there alone.

Then there are the app campaigns, skirmish, painting the things... you'll be more than occupied with this for a while.

Though I understand your disappointment all too well... there's nothing better than a community getting hyped up for the new stuff.

1 hour ago, Cavkov said:

If you are buying it for campaign, there is a TON of content for campaign. My group and I have run several campaigns now and we haven’t even gotten to Jabbas Realm or HotE yet. We could easily replay core as well given how many different heroes and villains and side missions I have.

My players don’t know or care the game is discontinued. All they know is they are mad that we couldn’t get together for our monthly session this month and can’t wait to get back in January.

This is an incredible game for campaign. If you have core plus a couple expansions plus some nice heroes and villains expansion packs you will have plenty of choices for a long time.

I have 218 logged plays, apart from about 2 skirmish missions, they consist of about 90 app plays (mostly solo), the rest are campaigns played both IRL and play by forum.

There are also several user-created campaigns if you run out of official content.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:07 PM, Cavkov said:

This is sad. I wqs just getting into IA when I heard it is canceled.

I already invested in Armada, X-Wing and legion.

If it helps I only recently bought it for the core and it’s good. The fact they aren’t making new stuff doesn’t stop it being good :)

Edited by Estarriol

I bought the Core set about 4 months before it was announced that there was no new content. I had already bought a few ally and villain packs in prep for skirmish. Afterwards I felt a bit deflated, but then started playing a few campaign scenarios.

This has prompted me to buy most of wave 1 figures (barring Gen Weiss and Reb Saboteurs, which I will either use Reb Troopers or the token for Weiss) plus R2 and C-3PO.

I am going to try and get Twin Shadows next and the Boba Fett figure. If it becomes unavailable after that, then fine, but otherwise I will still be trawling for the other sets, as I have a list in my head of the order in which I will collect them. Still a great game, and worth getting into in my opinion, even if you can’t collect all the campaign box sets.

On 12/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, Herr Style said:

I bought the Core set about 4 months before it was announced that there was no new content. I had already bought a few ally and villain packs in prep for skirmish. Afterwards I felt a bit deflated, but then started playing a few campaign scenarios.

This has prompted me to buy most of wave 1 figures (barring Gen Weiss and Reb Saboteurs, which I will either use Reb Troopers or the token for Weiss) plus R2 and C-3PO.

I am going to try and get Twin Shadows next and the Boba Fett figure. If it becomes unavailable after that, then fine, but otherwise I will still be trawling for the other sets, as I have a list in my head of the order in which I will collect them. Still a great game, and worth getting into in my opinion, even if you can’t collect all the campaign box sets.

Boxes supported by app campaign still have some market, in following months. Ones that don't have an app campaign can potentially go out of print soon. You can take this into account to plan your purchases.

Hey guys,

I just bought Core + Twin Shadows + Assault on Hoth and +16 expansion from a really nice dude! I am so happy! 🙂

On 10/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, jhh3 said:

Soo true. I wish they sold armada or legion at B&N. X-wing is the best selling game FFG has ever made. It’s pretty affordable too.

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen Armada being sold at Barnes and Noble before. 🤷‍♂️

On 11/13/2019 at 5:51 PM, a1bert said:

Btw, I would think FFG is more about profit than revenue. I would say FFG's "business reasons" has more to do with the profit than revenue.

Not to raise this nasty zombified thread, but I think the most recent layoffs and announcement of the end of Destiny shows this is the correct assessment, with slight clarification: Asmodee is more about profit than revenue.

2 hours ago, cnemmick said:

Not to raise this nasty zombified thread, but I think the most recent layoffs and announcement of the end of Destiny shows this is the correct assessment, with slight clarification: Asmodee is more about profit than revenue.

Profit is revenue minus costs, so ultimately this should be applicable to every company.

For clarification sake, were you thinking more along the lines of "maximizing profits?"

On 1/17/2020 at 8:31 PM, Uninvited Guest said:

Profit is revenue minus costs, so ultimately this should be applicable to every company.

For clarification sake, were you thinking more along the lines of "maximizing profits?"

At this point it's looking less and less like "maximizing profit" and more and more like "maximizing shareholder value." To me, the former implies at least a token amount of attention given to sustainability.

On 1/17/2020 at 5:59 PM, cnemmick said:

Surprised to see an official end of life announcement for Destiny. Still don't see why IA can't have clarification. Yes, I know it's all but dead and they've announced no new physical product. Why have articles from FFG addressing these facts been elusive?

23 hours ago, MFL said:

Surprised to see an official end of life announcement for Destiny. Still don't see why IA can't have clarification. Yes, I know it's all but dead and they've announced no new physical product. Why have articles from FFG addressing these facts been elusive?

We never got an article, but the developers have confirmed the end of physical product.

I'd say that at this point they're less elusive (though they were for a while) and simply just not very thorough.

4 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

We never got an article, but the developers have confirmed the end of physical product.

I'd say that at this point they're less elusive (though they were for a while) and simply just not very thorough.

they hate us. ahahahahah

They cared enough to say "Destiny is F'ing off". Not so much with IA. Yeah, that apathy is worse.

Glad to see Journeys in Middle Earth getting a physical expansion, but... dang. It's pretty much as expensive as the core box.

I hate to constantly be pessimistic about FFG lately, and to be fair the expansion looks pretty robust, but... I dunno. I assume their big box expansions tend to do better anyway (though I personally prefer the smaller, more supplementary ones) but I can't help but feel that 80USD for a single expansion for a game that already has a 60-100 USD buy in (depending on where you get it) is pushing it a bit.

Still, the minis look pretty neat. Nothing totally necessary for my D&D campaign (especially not after going all in on Descent 2E) but I might pick up the game someday.

12 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Glad to see Journeys in Middle Earth getting a physical expansion, but... dang. It's pretty much as expensive as the core box.

I hate to constantly be pessimistic about FFG lately, and to be fair the expansion looks pretty robust, but... I dunno. I assume their big box expansions tend to do better anyway (though I personally prefer the smaller, more supplementary ones) but I can't help but feel that 80USD for a single expansion for a game that already has a 60-100 USD buy in (depending on where you get it) is pushing it a bit.

Still, the minis look pretty neat. Nothing totally necessary for my D&D campaign (especially not after going all in on Descent 2E) but I might pick up the game someday.

The expansion has 5 new heroes, 5 new roles, and 20 new map tiles. Given that the core was 6, 6, and 22 respectively I think the price is about right.

Also, and I say this only because you used the phrase "buy in," being a non-competitive game there's no need to play catch up as IA skirmish would need to do.

Between the new box and the $7 DLC campaign I'm actually really liking the model JIME is taking.

Edited by Uninvited Guest
1 hour ago, Uninvited Guest said:

Between the new box and the $7 DLC campaign I'm actually really liking the model JIME is taking.

Exactly this. Can NOT agree more.

13 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

The expansion has 5 new heroes, 5 new roles, and 20 new map tiles. Given that the core was 6, 6, and 22 respectively I think the price is about right.

Also, and I say this only because you used the phrase "buy in," being a non-competitive game there's no need to play catch up as IA skirmish would need to do.

12 hours ago, Majushi said:

Exactly this. Can NOT agree more.

Sure, I'm not saying it's not worth it or anything. It definitely has a lot of content, and I'm certainly intrigued.

Just that, typically, expansion tend to not be quite that pricey. And I do think it's still a "buy in", because you can't play this without the base game... right? Competitive or not, that still is true.

Still, I can't complain- just hoping it works out for them.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:20 PM, subtrendy2 said:

Just that, typically, expansion tend to not be quite that pricey. And I do think it's still a "buy in", because you can't play this without the base game... right? Competitive or not, that still is true.

Sorry, my point wasn’t at all clear here, my fault entirely. I’m not saying it isn’t a buy in. I’m just saying, because it’s not competitive, the buy in will never go up like it did with certain elements of IA (skirmish, and personally I would say LOTA too).

Edited by Uninvited Guest
Typo

Expansion seems priced about right when you compare it to certain things. This thing has 5 new heroes, 8 new enemy models, and 13 scenarios for $80.

A big box and a small box expansion for IA together would have gotten you 5 new heroes, 7 new enemy types, some deployment cards for other figures you could buy separately, and a total of 22 scenarios (16 in the Big Box, 6 in the small) for $100 - $120. JIME is getting slightly more enemies, but fewer missions and paying less money overall. You could argue this is actually a better buy.

If they put out a Clone Wars themed box with this much content and this pricing model, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. (No I will NOT stop asking FFG for more!)

6 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

And I do think it's still a "buy in", because you can't play this without the base game... right? Competitive or not, that still is true.

Yes, but it's optional. Unlike a competitive system like Skirmish in IA where if you didn't get the expansions (Jabba's Realm specifically at the time) you were likely to be behind the meta.

With the non-competitive model the player is under no obligation to purchase the expansion to continue the game. BUT, if they do buy it for a price point that is still less than the core box, they get pretty much double the content.

Also, when is there ever an "expansion" to a game that does not require the base to play? I mean, that's a given all the time right?