How did FFG get away with it.

By jhh3, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

giphy.gif

Edited by Spidey NZ

Yeah, things just aren't binary. Just because something wasn't a great seller doesn't mean it was a bad seller. Never said nor implied IA was a bad seller. Just stated the obvious is all. There is a lot of room between great and bad. Exactly where IA fit in between those two, yeah, we really don't know. But we do know one thing, IA was never a great seller like Magic or D&D or even X-wing. That was my point. The trolls wanted to miss represent what I said just so there will be an argument over something petty. The game got cancel and replaced with something else. Pretty obvious why that happened. Hint, it wasn't making all the monies, i.e. it wasn't a great seller.

2 hours ago, Mep said:

The trolls wanted to miss represent what I said just so there will be an argument over something petty

I tried to clarify someone else’s point after you gave them what I felt to be a condescending response that failed to address the question.

You included the following sentence in your response to me:

On 10/16/2019 at 11:49 PM, Mep said:

Reading comprehension is your friend.

You calling me a troll and accusing me of trying to start arguments is extremely audacious considering you started talking down to people early on.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Yeah sorry about that. When one makes a captain obvious statement and some troll wants to argue about it and completely misrepresent and misquote what was said, one tends to respond in a negative fashion. Which was the whole point of the troll right? Misrepresent what has said to start an argument and get a rise out of someone. Yeah, I feed the troll and reacted poorly. Most certainly my bad and I most certainly embarrassed myself for reacting badly to a pretty obvious trolling.

Seriously, this forum doesn't have 1/10th the number of posts as X-wing and barely a quarter of that of Armada and not much more than twice as many as Runewars that bombed pretty hard and how many more years has this forum being going in comparison to Runewars? Sadly IA was the red headed step child of FFG's Star Wars games. It was actually a good game and deserved better.

However IA was never a huge hit, i.e., not a great seller. BTW, that isn't the same as saying it didn't sell well. It clearly sold well enough to last for a few years and get a bunch of expansions but didn't sell well enough to not be replaced and canceled. Not sure if that meant IA was a bad seller but certainly it wasn't selling good enough, which was the whole point I was making from the start. When Legion was announce a lot of people figured IA was on the way out. Why would anyone think that? Because IA just wasn't that big of a hit and wasn't a great seller. It is simply not a controversial statement. No more so than saying the sky is blue. What reason would one have get all over me and misrepresent what I said? That too, is pretty obvious.

This whole thing is completely silly.

giphy.gif

What some people, including me, are saying is that FFG didn't have to cancel IA, they could have handled the situation better by integrating Legion and IA together.

Instead, they pushed a lot of customers back into GW arms (including me). Do you think this is good business policy? I find it very shortsighted.

Really Mep? Starting another fight???

And starting by calling people trolls this time?
But at least you learned something from the last fight. At least a little.

-Arctic

Actually never started a fight. The OP asked how FFG got away with making other board games but had to stop making IA I clarified the situation. FFG didn't get away with anything. Those board games were made at Disney's pleasure. Hasbro makes toys at Disney's pleasure. Hasbro doesn't really have anyone else at this point in time to turn to to license IP for toys. If Disney tells Hasbro they don't make toys and games for them no more, Hasbro goes from a big toy company to a small toy company over night. FFG can't even put up a news article without the mouse first approving of it. They certainly don't get to make new products without it being Disney's decision those products are to be made. So no, FFG doesn't get away with anything and IA being canned has nothing to do with Hasbro. It has everything to do with how much money is being made as per standard for the industry. Then the trolls came.

When people are asking for information fully knowing we are never going to given that information, it's trolling. When people completely misquote someone and put words into their mouth, it's trolling. It is what it is.

There is a spreadsheet out there with all the sale numbers that we are never going to see, so don't bother asking for it, that is just trolling. Those numbers on the spreadsheet weren't good enough for IA to be continued to be made. Going further down the spreadsheet the numbers weren't good enough for IA to be rebooted in some fashion to try to recapture those numbers like they did for X-wing and bunch of other games FFG has rebooted in the past. Those numbers weren't good enough to even try at the big mess cross compatibility with other games would have made nor do they seem to be good enough for FFG to even know if they will bother with reprints once current stock runs out. Sorry boys, but that is the cold hard reality of the situation. IA wasn't making the monies to be continued and never made enough of the monies to be rebooted into 2.0. Even Descent wasn't doing good enough and that is without the license fees. It has nothing to do with Hasbro who right now is hoping Disney doesn't decide they don't need Hasbro to make toys or games just like they didn't need Netflix to stream their movies and TV shows.

The money wasn't there, so no more IA. It really is that simple. The only reason to argue about that is just to argue. The facts are what they are. I really liked IA, wish more people did so the money would be there for IA to continue but that simply isn't the case.

Edited by Mep
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:59 AM, Mep said:

When people are asking for information fully knowing we are never going to given that information, it's trolling. When people completely misquote someone and put words into their mouth, it's trolling. It is what it is.

What? Misquoting? like you did at the beginning?

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:59 AM, Uninvited Guest said:

No body is say it was a "great seller" at the time it was canceled. But you haven't provided any source for your original statement that it "was never a great seller." Just your own anecdotal experience.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, Mep said:

You actually are thinking it out sold X-wing or something...... yeah, okay.

You made claims, and people quibbled over your definitions. You brought in X-Wing as a comparison, and people still pointed out your poor form with hyperbole.

You say the shear volume of product for Legion makes it a success.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:33 AM, Mep said:

The shear amount of new products for Legion speaks volumes for it success.

But mere hours later the volume of products for IA does not make it a success.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, Mep said:

FFG does expansions for a lot of games that do "okay" but not great.

People asked you questions, and you returned with insults about their English what language they may speak and claims that you yourself were being trolled. Attacking others.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, Mep said:

Maybe you should have taken some English classes while in school. You wouldn't be so confused right now.

Please, just stop.

The few good points you do make are being lost in the sea of hyperbole and attacks you are making against others.

Edit; The "Troll" here is you sir.

Edited by Majushi

Guys, I get that we're all bummed out about this...

But can we not take it out on each other?

1 hour ago, subtrendy2 said:

But can we not take it out on each other?

Or even better yet: Take it out on each other on an IA skirmish map?!

Yeah, never misquoted anyone. Also, FFG canceled IA and may not even do the reprints. Legion has nearly caught up to IA for the amount of product available and hasn't even be out for nearly as long. That isn't hyperbole, just the facts.

Edited by Mep

FFG is still selling Imperial Assault and I see new players coming to the game. These are facts.

Part of that interview was a question about if reprints for IA would be made and it was uncertain that would happen. Yeah, there is still some current stock out there .... for now.

1 hour ago, Mep said:

Yeah, never misquoted anyone. Also, FFG canceled IA and may not even do the reprints. Legion has nearly caught up to IA for the amount of product available and hasn't even be out for nearly as long. That isn't hyperbole, just the facts.

Yes, you did, you totally misquoted people. You've lost this match. They may do reprints, they may not. In the AMA they sounded like they were shutting down IA to work on Legion, and so that they could have more people play Legion. BUT that is just an assumption, and I have no source. Mep, just give up . I'm tired of fighting with you, seeing other people fight with you, and just generally seeing your messages. Try looking at the glass like it's half full, not half empty.

giphy.gif

Edited by Spidey NZ
On 11/11/2019 at 3:08 PM, ArcticJedi said:

Yes, you did, you totally misquoted people. You've lost this match. They may do reprints, they may not. In the AMA they sounded like they were shutting down IA to work on Legion, and so that they could have more people play Legion. BUT that is just an assumption, and I have no source. Mep, just give up . I'm tired of fighting with you, seeing other people fight with you, and just generally seeing your messages. Try looking at the glass like it's half full, not half empty.

Yeah, never misquoted anyone. I was the one that was misquoted. People are having a hard time here accepting the fact IA got shut down. Things get shut down because they don't make money. It happened, get over it. Trolling me won't change it.

18 hours ago, Mep said:

Yeah, never misquoted anyone. I was the one that was misquoted. People are having a hard time here accepting the fact IA got shut down. Things get shut down because they don't make money. It happened, get over it. Trolling me won't change it.

Nobodies trolling you Mep... just get over it. You've lost the argument. Give up. People were politely asking if you had a source, and instead of saying no, you went and insulted people, and then claimed they were the first to strike. You had different metrics witch led to a misunderstanding, and instead of saying "oops, my bad, this is what I meant" You claimed you have been trolled. I have proof you have misquoted people, or if it isn't misquoting people, it's making a wild assumption witch has no base inn what they said. I'd love to be able to see it from your point of view Mep, but I can't. You are acting unreasonable and starting fights. Please stop. Nobodies enjoying this, and you might have left here with people(I'm assuming people feel the same about this as me) still somewhat liking you if you'd have dropped it. I would rather not fight you, but I'm also not gonna let you get away with feeling that you won, because you lost, and you lost bad.
-Arctic

Look, you don't need to see the revenue numbers to know they are very very bad when they aren't willing to comment to restocking. It means they aren't sure they can sell out and will lose money on the venture so they won't make more product. There is your source. It was in the interview. If you are delusional and somehow believe the reason why IA was canned was because the bank was about the explode because it contained so much money that IA made and if another cent more would make the bank explode, then you need professional help. It is simply not want happened. It has nothing at all to do with Hasbro at this point. When it comes to toy IPs, there is Disney and not much else. It's not just that Disney has been wildly successful and made acquisitions its that everyone else has been sucking. If Disney wants FFG to make board games they can and they have, Hasbro is in no position to object to Disney directions to other companies. I did a service in explaining what happen to those that weren't able to figure it out. The facts are what they are and I simply explained them.

BTW there is no winner here. IA was a great game. It being canned means we all lose. It was never at the top of the list of best selling miniature games like X-wing once was, in other words, it was never a great seller and therefore won't be continued. We all lost. Trolling me for stating the facts won't change them.

3 hours ago, Mep said:

Look, you don't need to see the revenue numbers to know they are very very bad when they aren't willing to comment to restocking. It means they aren't sure they can sell out and will lose money on the venture so they won't make more product. There is your source. It was in the interview. If you are delusional and somehow believe the reason why IA was canned was because the bank was about the explode because it contained so much money that IA made and if another cent more would make the bank explode, then you need professional help. It is simply not want happened. It has nothing at all to do with Hasbro at this point. When it comes to toy IPs, there is Disney and not much else. It's not just that Disney has been wildly successful and made acquisitions its that everyone else has been sucking. If Disney wants FFG to make board games they can and they have, Hasbro is in no position to object to Disney directions to other companies. I did a service in explaining what happen to those that weren't able to figure it out. The facts are what they are and I simply explained them.

BTW there is no winner here. IA was a great game. It being canned means we all lose. It was never at the top of the list of best selling miniature games like X-wing once was, in other words, it was never a great seller and therefore won't be continued. We all lost. Trolling me for stating the facts won't change them.

Nobody said that they thought that IA was shut down because it was wildly successful! Heck nobody even said it was wildly successful! Nobody said it was a top selling miniatures game or that some bank was about to explode because it was. Yes we all lost, but your just making it worse by insulting people and trying to shove despair down their throats! While it wasn't a cash cow, and amazing seller or a best selling miniatures game, it did fairly well. Plus, you aren't even stating the facts!

You are stating something you believe is true, and while it could be true, the way you stated it was rude. Insulting people to try and get your point across or to make them back down is not the way to tell someone that (one of)their favorite board game(s) has been shut down. And trying to defend your self by saying the people who you insulted are trolling you is also not being courteous.

And if you really cared about this game, you'd have shut up and realized that you wouldn't want someone to try and tell you that your favorite game didn't sell well and that's why it was canceled in a very rude way insulting you and claiming to have been attacked first. You'd apologize when you realized you've insulted and injured peoples feelings.

Please Stop .

Currently melting with anger,

-Arctic

Edited by ArcticJedi

Btw, I would think FFG is more about profit than revenue. I would say FFG's "business reasons" has more to do with the profit than revenue.

Edited by a1bert
16 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Btw, I would think FFG is more about profit than revenue. I would say FFG's "business reasons" has more to do with the latter than the former.

Very true. "Business reasons" usually means the opportunity cost was to great. Meaning, even if it is profitable it takes away from something that will be more profitable.

EDIT: Well, that or it's something you can't talk about.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

oh so its official ? Imperial Assault is over ? kinda sad the game was good.. what will happen now ? Legion taking over or new sw game comin '

7 hours ago, gmcc said:

oh so its official ? Imperial Assault is over ? kinda sad the game was good.. what will happen now ?

It's officially no new physical products and officially reprints are "not up to Andrew Navaro".

Nothing special happens now, which is what people are feeling blue about.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/9/6/scry-the-future/

I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that there is active, constructive, intelligent, good faith, non-troll IA skirmish discussion happening every day over on the Zions Finest slack channel, and also a lot of people playing online skirmish games everyday that are finding matches in the slack channel.

Send an email to [email protected] if you would like to be elevated out of the forums and into an active and friendly community.