Clan War Expansion

By jimsowter, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Does anyone know anything about a Clan War Expansion? While I was looking at pre-orders on two of my usual UK retailers I noticed this:

https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/l5r-lcg-clan-war-expansion/

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/fantasy-flight-games-legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game-clan-war-expansion-p313249

The latter suggests it will be available in January 2020.

I checked through all the articles to see if it had been mentioned and I can't seem to find anything. It wasn't mentioned at the in-flight was it?

I was also reading the article about roation here:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/5/23/mono-no-aware/

This mentions preimum expansions. Do you think this will be the first of its kind?

I also noticed on the file name of the PDF for the latest fiction that it was labelled as Clan War too:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/40/b5/40b52196-4077-4def-9fbe-0090d7941b43/l5c_clan_war_1_behind_the_empty_throne_lorez.pdf

Maybe a subtle hint at what is to come?

I am really excited to find out more!

Edited by jimsowter
Add more detail

Children of the Empire was the first premium expansion, Clan War will be the second.

There is nothing official that has been said about it but given those links and file name, it is going to happen. It is just a matter of when FFG want to announce it. My bet is at Winter Court/World Champs.

15 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Children of the Empire was the first premium expansion.

Ah yes, of course it was!

I think these are great, especially for new players, as you can pretty much grab a core and these and you are pretty much ready to go with some deck building options (optionally buying the Clan packs). Especially good for casual players like myself that don’t care too much about rotation and tournament play!

Also the last fiction is actually tagged as Clan War #1 if you download it.

23 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Also the last fiction is actually tagged as Clan War #1 if you download it.

Yes, I linked to this in my original post 😉

Well we did get the name of the Dragon clan pack spoiled early so i figure this is basically confirmed as well.

Well the livestream today answered this question today. I'm glad they are officially supporting the multiplayer format.

12 hours ago, phillos said:

Well the livestream today answered this question today. I'm glad they are officially supporting the multiplayer format.

Could you elaborate please? For those of us who didnt know about the livestream or couldnt watch it

1 hour ago, RafaelNN said:

Could you elaborate please? For those of us who didnt know about the livestream or couldnt watch it

It's on the FFG YouTube channel if you want to watch it.

The next 'deluxe' box is called 'Clan Wars' and supports the beta multiplayer along with a new version of 2 vs 2.

Oh, I didnt know that. Thanks, Ill go watch it

I'm surprised the announcement wasn't followed by an article, which seemed to be the trend for the FFG livestreams. Yeah anyone who didn't watch the livestream definitely should. They spoil a ton of cards from the Dragon and Crab pack, but also talk alot about the Clan Wars expansion. It was a surprisingly eventful stream for L5R.

Edited by phillos

Combining today's article with the hints in the FFG Live last week has given me enough info to get a general feel for the contents of the box:

• Treaty cards x 12 - Neutral (1 of each)
  • Province cards x 12 - 1 of each Clan and 1 Neutral of each ring (1 of each)
  • Dynasty cards x 38 - 5 of each Clan and 3 Neutral (3 of each)
  • Conflict cards x 32 - 4 of each Clan and 4 Neutral (3 of each)

This comes to 94 different cards (which would make Enightenment, a 5-cost Neutral event, the last card in the set. Makes sense to me) and 234 cards in total (what the article says).

ETA: is there any interest in me running a spoilers thread?

Edited by Tonbo Karasu
DarkHorse's comment
1 hour ago, Tonbo Karasu said:
  • Neutral cards x 32 - 4 of each Cland and 4 Neutral (3 of each)

I assume you mean Conflict cards x 32?

6 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

I assume you mean Conflict cards x 32?

I do, and I've fixed it.

So is Clan Wars only focused on Multiplayer?

The cards in it will be usable in every format, but about 30% will be specific for multiplayer. Whether that's counting the Treaty cards too, I'm not sure. But probably a quarter to a third will be much less useful in a standard game (like provinces referring to rings on them, which don't function in a standard game).

I hope they don't do something like this in the future .e.g for the Battle with Shadowlands where a Shadowlands boss player will have OP cards versus normal multiplayer decks.

Much as it may sound fun they should release it separately as stand alone "raid" product like what Cryptozoic did during the WoW TCG days.

I feel the Clan War expansion should have been split from the start between single player cards and multiplayer cards although I would guess that is part of the marketing. Few might buy Multiplayer stand alone cards and this is a good opportunity to test the waters for multiplayer games.

24 minutes ago, Yogo Rye X said:

I feel the Clan War expansion should have been split from the start between single player cards and multiplayer cards although I would guess that is part of the marketing. Few might buy Multiplayer stand alone cards and this is a good opportunity to test the waters for multiplayer games.

I agree. I have no interest at all in the multiplayer mode, as I play all my games casually at home with my wife.

I will now be paying for a box where at least 30% of the content I will never use, and I will split it out and keep it separate.

This reminds me of when they did Balance of the Force for the Star Wars LCG, and that was an expansion I skipped over altogether.

1 hour ago, Yogo Rye X said:

I also agree with this statement. No interest in multiplayer...I haven't even got access to another opponent locally. I would have liked to see the card slots used up with new cards to diversify for more viable deck archetypes from the current 'one trick pony' situation.

I think introducing multiplayer should be a separate expansion on it's own for those with interest in this format.

It is likely that a standalone multiplayer product wouldn't be profitable enough to exist, so they needed to include some otherwise legal and useful cards to justify it. It sucks for people who don't like multiplayer, but means that the option can exist for the people that do, which to me is a a fair trade off.

And honestly, if only 30% of the cards are completely unusable in regular play that's still a better percentage than most Cycles ;)

I understand the problem with lumping 1v1 cards with multi-player cards.....in a TCG. But this is an LCG you buy it one time and thats it. You don’t have to hunt for and pay extra to get a playset of the cards you do want.

And as @Evilgm said, we already get cards in the regular releases that go unused. How would it be any different with multi-player focused cards?

I seriously doubt FFG intended for L5R to be a 1v1 game only. There’s multiple clans fighting it out in Rokugan. It makes sense that more that two clans would get heavily involved in a dispute at the same time.

While I don't plan to plan multiplayer I don't mind buying this. After all, there is people that IS interested in this and it may add to the overall health of the game. On the other hand, I hope that they don't include aditional multi cards in regular sets. That would be iffy.

I think that multiplayer, in certain areas/regions, could be a great boon to the game, creating a new way to consider deck construction in two players paired up to maximize on each other's strength. Of course, this occurs in a meta that creates teams rather than just multiple random people at a table. Team L5R, representing alliances in the Clan War, could be a very interesting step forwards as a story element and side championship at Worlds/Tourneys.

I don't want too much focus on multiplayer, but I think that simply adjusting the rules to state how early cards that are used in multiplayer effect the opponents, in either team or true multi.

I like the idea, but I really want to wait until Clan War comes out and I can really get a feel for how the cards play off the rules.

I have enjoyed multiplayer games much more than one vs one. So if someone plays mainly one vs one. It is nice option if there Are three (or more) players occationally available! Try. It is completely different beast because of politics, deals and other funky stuff!

i like the temporary alliance, betrayal etc aspect of multiplayer over my deck is better than Yours in one to one!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Typo
On 11/6/2019 at 3:50 PM, Hyperjayman said:

I seriously doubt FFG intended for L5R to be a 1v1 game only. There’s multiple clans fighting it out in Rokugan. It makes sense that more that two clans would get heavily involved in a dispute at the same time.

Since core there are several cards that reference their use in multiplayer, so I agree with this.

Also, as others have said, multiplayer opens possibilities in certain areas that might allow the game to prosper. Additionally. Its a way to breathe fresh air into the game. You dont HAVE to play multiplayer, but doing it once every three full moons can be fun an interesting if thats your thing. And then theres the population that does enjoy this. Personally I will build a second deck for multiplayer and take it with me. In my group it often happens that theres an odd number of players. With this expansion we can play without one of us having to sit and watch