New player.... Maybe

By Vipersfang00000, in General Discussion

I'm toying with getting this game... Is it easy to learn?

It's easy to learn, but challenging to win. The turn sequence and game mechanics are fairly simple. I recommend watching one of Catweazle's videos on YouTube.

The basic structure of play is fairly basic. You can take two actions on your turn, and most of them are pretty simple (Move, buy, heal etc). Then you do various types of encounters that usually involve rolling dice to test skills. The overall goal is to achieve certain 'quests' to eventually win the game.

However, there are a *lot* of different types of cards (FFG hates trees) and expansions compound this issue significantly. This means there's a lot of complexity; tons of different types of cards to cover different situations E.g. there are 'condition' cards that are essentially status effects such as being different types of being injured, different types of going crazy, different types of being arrested etc. With all the expansions there are dozens of different types. While these are generally simple enough to resolve - read the card and do what it says - it can be pretty overwhelming, and I imagine is not to everyone's tastes.

I LOVE this game, and I echo the sentiments of the other posts.... when you get some expansions (my set includes 3 card expansions and 2 side map extensions) into the set it’s pretty big.... I’ve found that 4-5 player games are the most easy to manage... 6+ can be cumbersome. Two players with 2 characters each is a hoot too. A group could also benefit from a couple of dramatic readers... all in all it’s an enormously satisfying game ,,, I recommend a buy