Number of supported card pools?

By Wh0isTh3D0ct0r, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

12 hours ago, IceHot42 said:

It seems the information in this thread is not very precise and is lacking in a lot of details.

So first of all decks are between 40-50 cards with advantages and disadvantages to both extremes.

There are 5 different Heroes to choose from

Each Hero comes with its own set of deck-required 15 Signature Cards

There are 4 Aspects to choose from. Each player can only choose 1 per deck. Each Aspect has 19 cards some are 3x, some are unique and can be only 1x per deck, while others are max 2 per deck.

There are also 11 Neutral cards ( x4 players = 44 ).

If you have done the math that is 45 cards (per player available for deck construction). Not even enough to build a full 50 card deck unless another player goes down to a minimum 40 card deck.

As far as deck constructing goes (in a 4-player pool) there are significant limitations from a single Core Set. Counting primary options you have 20 (5*4) + 12 (4*3) + 6 (3*2) +2 (2*1) = 40 (4-player) build options. That may seem like a lot but it also seems amazingly stale as the 3rd deck builder only gets 1 of 6 choices and the 4th deck builder gets only 2 choices.

From that point since you are potentially only trading a few cards or cutting up to 5 cards there is, in actuality, very little deck crafting until SEVERAL expansions come out.

Now that suits me personally just fine for now (as I approximate a play group of 3 players), but I think I would get 2 core sets so that I dont feel handcuffed as the 3rd deck builder.

Thank you. Seriously, that's the kind of information I have been looking for someone to break down for us all.

I think I've made up my mind. Maybe if I was more of a comic book fan and not just a fan of the MCU movies, I'd jump all over this. But I think I'm gonna hold back for now and focus more on other games on my shelves that have been collecting dust. Besides, I just introduced my kids to StarCraft, and they can't get enough of it right now. So I think I'm good.

I just don't get why not buy two copies of everything if you have twice the players? After all, why would FFG put enough for four players in every pack when that's useless to a large portion of their fans? Like, it just seems logical that twice as many people should buy twice as much product.

9 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

I just don't get why not buy two copies of everything if you have twice the players? After all, why would FFG put enough for four players in every pack when that's useless to a large portion of their fans? Like, it just seems logical that twice as many people should buy twice as much product.

Because buying two of everything isn't as much at the beginning of a game line, but it adds up...let's see...let me do the math......twice as fast. So the best time to stop is before you ever start. The best coupon you can use is the "Nah, I'm just looking" coupon. And when your income has to support a whole family, every "Nah, I'm just looking" coupon is priceless.

The thing is, if you can move past this idea of ‘100% of the options available to any/all players at all times’ you can have a great time, supporting 4 players with just x1 if each product.

27 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

The thing is, if you can move past this idea of ‘100% of the options available to any/all players at all times’ you can have a great time, supporting 4 players with just x1 if each product.

This, this, a thousand times this!!! That is how I will be playing this game with friends. 1 copy of every pack. And play.

42 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

How dare you be logical!!1!

5 hours ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

The thing is, the more you all push this idea of “How dare you not be as excited as me?!” the more I don’t want to play this game. So, keep the comments coming. I need all the excuses I can get to spend my money elsewhere.

24 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

The thing is, the more you all push this idea of “How dare you not be as excited as me?!” the more I don’t want to play this game. So, keep the comments coming. I need all the excuses I can get to spend my money elsewhere.

None of my comments have been anything to do with levels of excitement in the game. Can’t speak for anyone else in the thread but that doesn’t seem to have been anyone else’s sentiment either.

I couldn’t care less whether you end up playing the game or not and I’m sure no one else has an agenda to push you away from it either. (I hope you do play it, because it looks awesome, and you initially seemed to indicate it was a good fit for yourselves).

But the reality is that your view is an extreme one. The ‘need’ to have ‘100% of the options available to any/all players at all times’ is a narrow one that probably less than 5% of players will hold. You must recognise it as an outlier of a position?

No one is trying to convince you that you shouldn’t play the game, or that you ‘must be as excited’ as everyone else.

What they are trying to say is that the view that the game cannot be enjoyed by a group of 1-4 players without an exhaustive supply of all possible deckbuilding options is patently false

You’ll almost certainly be able to experience at least 90% of the potential enjoyment the game can offer with ‘only’ 1 of each product.

17 hours ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

Because buying two of everything isn't as much at the beginning of a game line, but it adds up...let's see...let me do the math......twice as fast. So the best time to stop is before you ever start. The best coupon you can use is the "Nah, I'm just looking" coupon. And when your income has to support a whole family, every "Nah, I'm just looking" coupon is priceless.

But again, let me reiterate.

I play two player. So that means my bro and I split the cost of every pack, so paying ~$7.50, ~$10, and ~$20 for each expansion.

You play four players. Assuming everyone splits the cost, that's ~$3.75, ~$5, ~$10 for each pack. That's half the cost of what I pay. If you bought double the product, then it comes out the same.

What you are saying is that you want FFG to give you double the product but not charge more for it. Yeah, I think we'd all like that, but they have to make money too.

Edited by Supertoe

58 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

What they are trying to say is that the view that the game cannot be enjoyed by a group of 1-4 players without an exhaustive supply of all possible deckbuilding options is patently false

Then it's a good thing that I never made that assertion.

Edited by Wh0isTh3D0ct0r
23 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

But again, let me reiterate.

I play two player. So that means my bro and I split the cost of every pack, so paying ~$7.50, ~$10, and ~$20 for each expansion.

You play four players. Assuming everyone splits the cost, that's ~$3.75, ~$5, ~$10 for each pack. That's half the cost of what I pay. If you bought double the product, then it comes out the same.

Let me reiterate...saying the same thing over and over again never wins anyone over. Life lesson for you.

24 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

What you are saying is that you want FFG to give you double the product but not charge more for it. Yeah, I think we'd all like that, but they have to make money too.

Never a good idea to infer something and then claim that's what the person said. You're not helping your case here. You're actually coming across more and more like you have this attitude of "You're a complete moron if you don't agree with me!" That never goes over well in a discussion. Another life lesson for you.

13 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

Never a good idea to infer something and then claim that's what the person said. You're not helping your case here. You're actually coming across more and more like you have this attitude of "You're a complete moron if you don't agree with me!" That never goes over well in a discussion. Another life lesson for you.

So tell me, what are you saying then?

28 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

You guys really need to work on your

Just read through the whole thread again.

So what’s your actual point then? If it isn’t what I said?

Just now, jonboyjon1990 said:

I too am completely lost as to what the point is anymore.

41 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

You’re either saying:

A) ‘I’m a self diagnosed completionist. I want ALL the possible options. What’s the solution?

B) ‘The game’s not worth it if you’re supporting 4 players without multiples of most products.

A is obvious - you’re an outlier; either move past that idea or swallow proxies/the extra cost.

B - that’s simply not true, so you’ll be fine.

Edited by jonboyjon1990
21 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

My point here is that I am simply not excited enough about comic books to have Marvel Champions be a slam dunk for me like a SW co-op LCG would be. But I do like some of the LCGs that I have played in the past. So I needed something to tip me to one side or the other of the fence that I was on.

I've bought into LCG's before, so I know how much of a money pit an LCG can be, especially if I don't have a local gaming group who is playing the game regularly. Lately, my player pool has been reduced to just my own household, so I have the choice of either playing games that I already own or buying into a new game that fully supports up to four players (there are five of us, but the youngest isn't quite ready for these kinds of games yet). Marvel Champions apparently does not do that without additional copies, so rather than gripe about the cost or the number of supported players--which are completely understandable to me--I simply choose to focus my money and attention elsewhere.

So then, enter other players who insist that I must see their point of view and that I would practically be a fool to not see the value in this game, and honestly, that kind of turns me off to the game. Why would I want to buy into a game for which I now already have such a negative perception about the player base, given the debate tactics that have been employed here in this thread? (Agree with me, d*** it!!) Some of the people in this thread are the absolute worst champions for this game (pun intended).

20 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

My point here is that I am simply not excited enough about comic books to have Marvel Champions be a slam dunk for me like a SW co-op LCG would be. But I do like some of the LCGs that I have played in the past. So I needed something to tip me to one side or the other of the fence that I was on.

I've bought into LCG's before, so I know how much of a money pit an LCG can be, especially if I don't have a local gaming group who is playing the game regularly. Lately, my player pool has been reduced to just my own household, so I have the choice of either playing games that I already own or buying into a new game that fully supports up to four players (there are five of us, but the youngest isn't quite ready for these kinds of games yet). Marvel Champions apparently does not do that without additional copies, so rather than gripe about the cost or the number of supported players--which are completely understandable to me--I simply choose to focus my money and attention elsewhere.

So then, enter other players who insist that I must see their point of view and that I would practically be a fool to not see the value in this game, and honestly, that kind of turns me off to the game. Why would I want to buy into a game for which I now already have such a negative perception about the player base, given the debate tactics that have been employed here in this thread? (Agree with me, d*** it!!) Some of the people in this thread are the absolute worst champions for this game (pun intended).

If you’re only playing at home then any perceived negativity in these forums is largely irrelevant.

Again, I’ll reiterate my point: Marvel Champions does support 4 players with one copy of each product .

Sooooo...?

Edited by jonboyjon1990
5 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

If you’re only playing at home then any perceived negativity in these forums is largely irrelevant.

Again, I’ll reiterate my point: Marvel Champions does support 4 players with one copy of each product .

Sooooo...?

You seriously don’t hear yourself, do you?

To everyone else: “Behold.......your champion.” 🙄

1 hour ago, Supertoe said:

I too am completely lost as to what the point is anymore.

I'm not sure I ever grasped the point to begin with.

But the thread's not a complete loss... Apparently we have a new champion!! So that's good news. 😃

I’d like to be the first to welcome our new overlord. All hail jonboyjon1990!! Long may they reign!!

1 hour ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

You seriously don’t hear yourself, do you?

To everyone else: “Behold.......your champion.” 🙄

What am I missing here?

you now seem to be saying either:

A) ‘I’m a self diagnosed completionist. I want ALL the possible options. What’s the solution?’

B) ‘The game’s not worth it if you’re supporting 4 players without multiples of most products.

C) ‘I’m on the fence about this game - if I’m a completionist, is it for me?’

A is obvious - you’re an outlier; either move past that idea or swallow proxies/the extra cost.

C - if you’re not hot on the game then why buy an exhaustive amount of product? Why not dip your toe?

1 minute ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

What am I missing here?

you now seem to be saying either:

A) ‘I’m a self diagnosed completionist. I want ALL the possible options. What’s the solution?’

C) ‘I’m on the fence about this game - if I’m a completionist, is it for me?’

C - if you’re not hot on the game then why buy an exhaustive amount of product? Why not dip your toe?

Beatin' a dead horse here, man. You're only making this game less palatable to me.

19 minutes ago, Wh0isTh3D0ct0r said:

Beatin' a dead horse here, man. You're only making this game less palatable to me.

Fair enough - can’t be bothered any more. Final comment from me:

• You’re playing at home with your family. Any perceived negativity on these forums or amongst the wider player base is irrelevant to you.
• Marvel Champions can demonstrably support 1-4 players with x1 of every product.
• Any self imposed sense of exhaustive completion is an outlier stance; the only solutions are swallowing redundant purchases or moving away from that stance
• It’s now unclear what you actual point is, or what you’re arguing for

11 minutes ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Fair enough - can’t be bothered any more. Final comment from me:

• You’re playing at home with your family. Any perceived negativity on these forums or amongst the wider player base is irrelevant to you.
• Marvel Champions can demonstrably support 1-4 players with x1 of every product.
• Any self imposed sense of exhaustive completion is an outlier stance; the only solutions are swallowing redundant purchases or moving away from that stance
• It’s now unclear what you actual point is, or what you’re arguing for

The point is that you can't seem to stomach the idea of someone disagreeing with you, so you have to keep saying the same things over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, ad nauseam.