Is this Game Worth it?

By slope123, in Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

Okay, the title is a bit arbitrary. However, my dilemma is this. I currently own the Force and Destiny RPG, and I enjoy the system. However, when this game came out I considered getting it for collector's value (its a cool addition to my collection), and for nostalgia value (its one of the original RPGs). However, I'm curious, as someone who hasn't played this game before is this game as good, better, or worse than the other FFG Star Wars RPG, is they system fun and intuitive, etc.?

Basically, I own a Star Wars RPG already, and I'm trying to justify to myself buying another 😉 . I just have a few questions regarding the system to see whether or not I will actually play it.

It's different . I've played both editions of D6 as well as D20 OCRB and RCRB, and now this system. Each system has its merits and its drawbacks.

I have played the system for years. It is a very easy system to pick up and run with little GM prep. Love both FFG and D6 and they both work to achieve the same thing, a fun roleplaying experience in the Star Wars universe, they just take different mechanical approaches.

Yancy

Edited by Gallandro

I haven't played FFG. The reason is that I love D6 Star Wars. I have no reason to move to another system. In my opinion, it's one of the best rpgs I've ever played, and it's probably the best marriage between rules and subject matter. To me, the 1E rules perfectly fit the high-flying, dodging blaster bolts, jumping across a chasm with stormtroopers shooting at you and a Princess on your hip, treading down the trench on the Death Star with Vader on your tale, type of action that you see in the movies.

It's High Adventure!

I've played 2E extensively, and I think it is a **** good game, too. I played 2E for years. But, I came back to 1E. It's my go-to version for Star Wars. Why? To me, 2E is more crunchy. It's more what you are used to in a regular rpg. It's not 1E. 2E has more bells and whistles. 1E focuses more on Space Opera games with BIG **** HEROES.

I can't say enough about it.

I'd say it is excellent.

Thanks for the input

The only other question I have is what type of characters does this game work best for? Rebel Alliance, Jedi, Bounty Hunters and such etc. I've heard that some Star Wars RPGs have issues with Force Users being unbalanced in relation to the other characters.

8 minutes ago, slope123 said:

Thanks for the input

The only other question I have is what type of characters does this game work best for? Rebel Alliance, Jedi, Bounty Hunters and such etc. I've heard that some Star Wars RPGs have issues with Force Users being unbalanced in relation to the other characters.

This is one of them, though not nearly as bad as with D20. It definitely works best for Rebels and Jedi, and Jedi are definitely more powerful in D6 than in FFG, particularly once they get a six or more dice in their three Force skills. The one balancing factor, however, is how strict it is regarding Dark Side Points. Six DSPs and you lose the character. And using the Force directly to harm other living beings automatically garners a DSP, as do some Force powers outright. So Jedi have to be much more careful in how they act and how they use the Force than they do in this system.

48 minutes ago, slope123 said:

Thanks for the input

The game was designed to replicate what we see in the original trilogy, Episodes IV, V, and VI. I like Jedi being rare, so I have absolutely no problem with the Force rules.

If advancement for Force users is too slow, remember that you control it as the GM. There is a supplement for a Jedi rich period called Tales of the Jedi. Same rules are used. So, I don't think that there's a problem. In the base 1E game, there are only three Force Skills (Control, Alter, and Sense), and a character automatically knows each power associated with its governor skill when the Force skill is first learned.

What that means is: If a character knows one Force Skill, he can use it in all the ways shown in the book.

Later, the game changed to where some powers are not automatically known. And, some GMs play that way from the start. It depends on how easy you want a character to grow in the Force. Do you want to do it like a normal padawan that trains for most of his young life? Do yo want to make it like Luke, becoming a master in four or five years? Or, do you want to be like Rey, where, inside a week, her powers are growing exponentially.

You can do all of those, too, by regulating how fast characters gain force powers for their skills--some may grow in the Force faster than others.

The Force is still a mystery in many ways.

The 1E core rulebook does have templates for Bounty Hunters, and there is a supplement (and a set of adventures) that supports straight bounty hunter play.

The 1E core rulebook is designed, though, to focus on Rebels. You can easily play the Fringe or some other type of character, and there are supplements that will help (traders, scouts, etc), but working with the Rebel Alliance is overwhelmingly what the 1E game is about.

Thanks everyone. I just picked up the book at my LGS. I can't wait to try it out.

3 minutes ago, slope123 said:

Thanks everyone. I just picked up the book at my LGS. I can't wait to try it out.

This place is dead. I'd love to get some 1E discussions going. I've sure been trying, but there's not a lot of replies.

So, if you have any questions, post 'em. I'll reply to you!

1 hour ago, player3412539 said:

This place is dead. I'd love to get some 1E discussions going. I've sure been trying, but there's not a lot of replies.

So, if you have any questions, post 'em. I'll reply to you!

Thank you so much.

The only thing off the top of my head is, do you know of any websites with resources for this like adventures and whatnot?

Give it a try! It is a lot of fun.

My kids and I have been watching Star wars Rebels together, and I think we're close to playing.

3 hours ago, slope123 said:

Thank you so much.

The only thing off the top of my head is, do you know of any websites with resources for this like adventures and whatnot?

http://d6holocron.com/downloads/wegcore.html

10 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Give it a try! It is a lot of fun.

My kids and I have been watching Star wars Rebels together, and I think we're close to playing.

Love to hear about your adventures!

If it had support, yes.

1 hour ago, bblaney001 said:

If it had support, yes.

It's got tons of support! WEG published all sorts of stuff.

You can find many of the sourcebooks used, and at reasonable prices, on Amazon, eBay, and through numerous online rpg game stores.

And, all of the 2E stuff is compatible with 1E. Mostly, you have to ignore the extra 2E information in the stat blocks and add in the Speed code.

22 hours ago, player3412539 said:

It's got tons of support! WEG published all sorts of stuff.

Yeah it does, though it would be nice to have new stuff for it too.

1 hour ago, bblaney001 said:

Yeah it does, though it would be nice to have new stuff for it too.

I agree. There is a thriving fan base producing sourcebooks and what not.

2 hours ago, player3412539 said:

I agree. There is a thriving fan base producing sourcebooks and what not.

Though nothing for the current movies, iirc.

5 hours ago, bblaney001 said:

Though nothing for the current movies, iirc.

True. I haven't seen anything except some of the characters from Rogue One created by Pablo Hildago (IIRC).

Still...Grab a visual dictionary and create what you want!

One of the nice things about the D6 System is that it is pretty easy to create new stuff (ships, equipment, characters, etc) without the amount of time required by most rpgs.

CLICK HERE

This is a Rogue One adaptation for D6. Just some characters. Eric Trautman did this. I thought it was Pablo Hildago, and I credited him wrongly above. This was originally released free on Face Book, I believe.

Wow! That's fantastic work.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, slope123 said:

Basically, I own a Star Wars RPG already, and I'm trying to justify to myself buying another 😉 . I just have a few questions regarding the system to see whether or not I will actually play it.

@slope123 I LOVE this game! I have had six West End Games Campains since 1989. One of them (although it had a four year hiatus) has been running for 26 years. I have lifelong friends I see for a weekend each year that continuous to this day.

There is a wealth of material out there. WEG has been the direct inspiration to 80% of the Expanded Universe to current Canon, has been an influential springboard for X - Wing Miniatures to Kevin Feige.

The game is readily simple to learn, quite fast paced, and elegant in its portrayal of the feel of the Star Wars films around the gaming table.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Full disclosure, I was a contributor and then worked at West End Games for quite a few years. 😊