Tutorial Showcase!

By Force Majeure, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Hi all. I'm often surprised at how much knowledge is out there to share to help folks and save time and effort that's obvious to some and not to others.

So if you know a cool trick, method, technique, tip etc.related to painting and modding ships from our favorite space combat miniatures game I'd like you to share it with the community.

1. Find an old thread, or
  2. Create a new topic & link it to a post in this Tutorial Showcase thread and I'll add it here.

Toot toot!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tutotials:

Cloaking

Weathering

Edited by Force Majeure

I'll start:

1. I would recommend watching someone paint start to finish. It will give you a good idea on how to work form base coat to highlights without having to look for tutorials on painting specific ships (which, X-Wing being prepainted is pretty hard).

The biggest problem I had when I started painting was where do I start? What's step 2? For figures it's a bit easier as you can follow the "start with the skin, then follow with clothing in the order you would get dressed".
For X-Wing it would be primer > base coat (+ any stripes, other colors, accents > wash > go over just the pannels with you base coat again to paint over pooled wash etc. > battle damage with a sponge > canopy > optional edge highlighting > engine glows?

2. Secondly, collect techniques and theory videos
Want you YV-666 to look super rusty and dirty? Try the salt paint chipping technique.

I'm thinking about write a toot for the engines, if you find that useful.

Most helpful thing I ever did here (take that any way you'd like)

Not really skilled enough to offer help to most people here, might share my method for painting windscreens because I'm happy with those but I'm pretty sure I just stole if from something I read here.

I think we got this up on the Disassembled Ships thread more or less:

I'm curious about your windscreen toot.

Edited by Force Majeure

Here's a classic, from what I call the Godfather of X-wing miniatures painting, @Barry Harker