WEATHERING With Pencils.......Dirt, Streaks, grime, Rust, Blaster Burns......UPDATED

By Barry Harker, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

THE PENCIL WEATHERING PAGE HAS NOW BEEN UPDATED WITH A NEW IMAGE HOSTING SERVICE :D

Sorry it took so long, Hope you find it useful.

All the best,

Barry.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................

Hello Guys.

I have been Modeling for many years.

I Have used Many different and unusual ways too achieve certain methods with small scale models like these X Wing Miniatures.

As we all know.

STAR WARS is a "Lived in Universe"

everything looks worn and dirty. and one of the best examples is obviously the Falcon.

But these Models are small, so achieving those grimy and dirty streaks on the panels of the Falcon could take forever

with a fine brush, but still look to......neat.

I have been using Coloured Pencils on model's for years to achieve certain desired effects.

You don't Even have to Repaint your Models.....just add the grime !

So,

I thought some of you might be interested in this technique.

for those of you that don't all ready know :D

sDhdH3.jpg

I have used this weathering technique on many models from Armour to Aircraft to Naval vessels.

there are many good brands out there of Artists Coloured Pencils.............

tUwgND.jpg

You will have to keep a regular sharp point on your pencil to achieve the fine grimy streaks on such a small model.

mM3VPd.jpg

but it can be effective.

qUmKxB.jpg

I spent an afternoon weathering my Falcon model this way........

Edited by Barry Harker

You can get carried away and enjoy your time using lots of refrence books and Material to try and get it as close as possible

to the studio photos.......

4t7cY7.jpg

negUno.jpg

MKIK5M.jpg

i6Y3lf.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

This never occurred to me but it seem's kinda obvious now.

The best way to achieve this result is....very easy.

firstly I spray the models after a good clean and scrub with dish washing detergent.

and then I spray the models with a MAT CLEAR VARNISH.

Here in the UK we have Humbrol Spray paints..........

mjtues.jpg

G15aiq.jpg

This Spray paint and many others like it (TAMIYA also make some) is perfect for spraying the models before and after to protect your

coloured pencil work.

But you MUST MAKE SURE IT ISN'T COLD when you spray !

if it is to cold then the varnish will plume.....goes a misty white.

I warm my paint up sometimes in hot water first. to stop the temperature pluming the paint.

if it does happen, don't panic.

The Varnish is Transparent, so another warmer coat over the top of the coat that has plumed....gone white.

will bring it back.

Edited by Barry Harker
On 01/10/2015 at 6:44 PM, Hobojebus said:

This never occurred to me but it seem's kinda obvious now.

Hi Hbojebus,

yea I like it because its easy !

Doesn't take for ever and is fun to do.......like a 3D Colouring book !

3Yy0Co.jpg

h26U5M.jpg

Its the best way I have found to do dirt and rust streaks on small models............

pyp08V.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

Here in the states you can get Testers DULL Cote, which does the same thing.

;)

SmKJU2.jpg

hH23VJ.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

This is great, I've ruined too many paint jobs trying to weather them with paint and the brush not wanting to cooperate.

;)

Hey Joe.

Well that's good to hear.

We don't have Testers here in the UK but I have used in my Airbrush.......after ordering it from the States !

Very Good Paint.

Do they do it in a Spray can.......or as you might say over there....Rattle Can :D

This is great, I've ruined too many paint jobs trying to weather them with paint and the brush not wanting to cooperate.

Hello Skargoth.

YEP !

and you know whats even better........if you don't like what you have done. Sharpen an Eraser "Rubber", and Rub it off !

then just start again ;)

Not only is it easy.

buts its safe and you wont ruin your models paint job.

Edited by Barry Harker

If you dont want to play in the rules......then go a little Mad and Really grime Em up :P

I went a bit over the Top on the Outrider with grime rust and blast marks.

But it is fun doing it :)

ZslLEl.jpg

2m1vPr.jpg

vxJsoH.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

Well hope this Little easy technique comes in useful.

It is very Easy and effective.

I have even done the my X wing's this way and it works just as well on the really small stuff !

J2OSaU.jpg

Take care guys and all the best,

Barry.

Edited by Barry Harker

Wow this is great. Thanks so much for posting this Barry.

I had thought about have using pencils at one point but thought it was a silly idea and never tried

;)

Army painter anti-shine matte spray is far cheaper and does just as good a job IMHO. Other clears like krylon or GW, etc can't touch testors or armypainter though.

Hello Guys.

I have been Modeling for many years.

I Have used Many different and unusual ways too achieve certain methods with small scale models like these X Wing Miniatures.

As we all know.

STAR WARS is a "Lived in Universe"

everything looks worn and dirty. and one of the best examples is obviously the Falcon.

But these Models are small, so achieving those grimy and dirty streaks on the panels of the Falcon could take forever

with a fine brush, but still look to......neat.

I have been using Coloured Pencils on model's for years to achieve certain desired effects.

You don't Even have to Repaint your Models.....just add the grime !

So,

I thought some of you might be interested in this technique.

for those of you that don't all ready know :D

Weathering%200_zpsgelbhajh.jpg

there are many good brands out there of Artists Coloured Pencils.............

PaintampPencilFX10_zps64874f40.jpg

PaintampPencilFX11_zps8289926e.jpg

You will have to keep a regular sharp point on your pencil to achieve the fine grimy streaks on such a small model.

but it can be effective.

I spent an afternoon weathering my Falcon model this way........

Weathering%201_zpsfjcsx7px.jpg

Weathering%203_zpsefx5wxyh.jpg

It is quite possible you are genius.

I will steal this idea. Thank you!

Ha Ha :lol:

Well Enjoy using the technique Spider.

Cheers.

On 01/10/2015 at 7:49 PM, stegocent said:

Wow this is great. Thanks so much for posting this Barry.
I had thought about have using pencils at one point but thought it was a silly idea and never tried

Hello Stegocent,

Glad I could help out.

I look at so many Models on the X wing forum and just think.........yea, they need those dirty grimy streaks on certain ships.

I have been using this Method on so many other models

YES I know they are not STAR WARS ( even though the dog fighting was based around them !)......

19IbVj.jpg

PZjvRB.jpg

wpWkDA.jpg

You can also Get Silver, Gold, Bronze and other Metallic's in Pencil.

I use them for representing scratched and worn paint surfaces on my other models like these Aircraft.

Which can be done on the X WING Miniatures in the same way. :D

at2WSl.jpg

ZzMTzE.jpg

WExQqx.jpg

Edited by Barry Harker

I'm not a good painter, but I can totally do colored pencils. Thanks for sharing this advice.

It's not a method I would use (I don't like how it looks close up) but I will not deny that it is a simple and effective way to improve X-wing miniatures. Perhaps best of all, just about anyone can do it, and it's pretty darned cheap as well!

It's not a method I would use (I don't like how it looks close up) but I will not deny that it is a simple and effective way to improve X-wing miniatures. Perhaps best of all, just about anyone can do it, and it's pretty darned cheap as well!

I'm not a good painter, but I can totally do colored pencils. Thanks for sharing this advice.

And that's just it.

Its not for everyone, but it is an easy way of getting something that looks half decent.

I don't use this method on all of my models for X wing.....in fact I have only done 5 of them this way.

But it is another method that can be used to get a certain desired effect.

Easily and with not much work or skill....just a steady hand in some cases.

"But then i'm not a fan of painting everything to look like a Games Workshop Miniature"

I come from the Armour School of Painting,Airbrush, Pastel Dust, Pencil and Oils....Realistic

There are many methods and ways we all have of each getting our desired effect.

Pencil is a simple and cheap........and Fun ;)

All the best,

Barry.

I really like the effect you achieved on your YT2400! That one always looked a little clean to me haha

Love this idea!

;)

Hey Joe.

Well that's good to hear.

We don't have Testers here in the UK but I have used in my Airbrush.......after ordering it from the States !

Very Good Paint.

Do they do it in a Spray can.......or as you might say over there....Rattle Can :D

Yeah it comes in cute little spray cans here.

^_^

I'm a decent painter when it comes to models but I know plenty who Arnt we all have a different skill cap.

Someone not confident with a brush will probably be much more confident with a pencil.

I actually live in the city where testors is made.. Rockford Illinois.. they do make their dulcote and gloss in spray cans, and yes they rattle, used to rip those out to get those bearings for modeling or games..

It would seem to me like using carbon to replicate carbon scoring seems like a great idea.