Expansions confirmed

By piparitalo, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Do you think that Asmodee are just riding the Star Wars wave at the moment, with the films and TV series helping to sell the games? If so, it would make sense for them to slow the JiME flow until the excitement around the upcoming Amazon LOTR project starts to build next year.

Looked at it this way they are just placing products around the free hype that they are getting from other media.

They still seem to be supporting LOTR LCG, both physically and digitally, and JiME shares a lot of the same resources (art, story, character etc.), so it doesn't seem like there is much more overhead in keeping JiME running, other than producing miniatures.

On 11/20/2019 at 9:45 AM, Teleus said:

... it would make sense for them to slow the JiME flow until the excitement around the upcoming Amazon LOTR project starts to build next year.

Nothin is happening with the Amazon project until AT LEAST 2021 so I wouldn't hold my breath on this for a game announcement.

That said some local store in my area are taking preorders for a jime big box expansion called The SHADOWED PATHS so something is in the work! Apparently shopping in May/June 2020.

Edited by ricthot

With Navaro's departure I'm beginning to think all bets are off for a lot of our favorite games. I hope we still get the big box expansion.

On 1/18/2020 at 2:13 AM, Majushi said:

Jeez people, calm down.

they literally said the next expansion announcement will come on the 28th

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/12/31/ffg-live-in-january/

There's a lot of anxiety on the forums lately, so it's great to see that reality check? What do you think they're going to feature? I had only recently started the Bones of Arnor Campaign, and recently bought the Hunt For the Ember Crown DLC to start that when we're finished!

1 hour ago, Kunitzu San said:

There's a lot of anxiety on the forums lately, so it's great to see that reality check? What do you think they're going to feature? I had only recently started the Bones of Arnor Campaign, and recently bought the Hunt For the Ember Crown DLC to start that when we're finished!

No idea what will be announced beyond the name of the box.

Probably at least the names of a couple of heroes (Arwen and Gandalf + 3 more have been rumoured)

The overall concept of the story plot is sure to come up, and where in Middle Earth it takes place. (My money is on Mirkwood or some other similarly dank forest)

We will probably get a name drop of a villain, and a name type of two new enemies.

Probably a new class named (wizard anyone?), but probably 2 in the box.

I expect that's it. Maybe more.

38 minutes ago, Majushi said:

No idea what will be announced beyond the name of the box.

Probably at least the names of a couple of heroes (Arwen and Gandalf + 3 more have been rumoured)

The overall concept of the story plot is sure to come up, and where in Middle Earth it takes place. (My money is on Mirkwood or some other similarly dank forest)

We will probably get a name drop of a villain, and a name type of two new enemies.

Probably a new class named (wizard anyone?), but probably 2 in the box.

I expect that's it. Maybe more.

My personal hope is that we'll get the Ringwraith's added as enemy villains, along with Uruk-hai. Gandalf would be an amazing hero to add, but it would also be cool if he's a sort of NPC/quest-giver.

3 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

My personal hope is that we'll get the Ringwraith's added as enemy villains, along with Uruk-hai. Gandalf would be an amazing hero to add, but it would also be cool if he's a sort of NPC/quest-giver.

A Ringwraith as a named Villain would be cool. (one of the non-named ones. Most of them are generics so giving one a bit more agency would be cool) (edit; I DON'T want Witch King just FYI)

The Uruk-hai were created by Saruman right (or was that just in the movies). At the timeframe the game is set they would be out of place.

Spiders would be cool though, and would certainly fit the Mirkwood theme if that's what they go for.

Gandalf can be done, as he's powerful but really does hold back a lot in the stories. Generally giving advice and guiding people. As a hero he could be mostly support with a little bit of fight.

Edited by Majushi
3 hours ago, Majushi said:

A Ringwraith as a named Villain would be cool. (one of the non-named ones. Most of them are generics so giving one a bit more agency would be cool) (edit; I DON'T want Witch King just FYI)

The Uruk-hai were created by Saruman right (or was that just in the movies). At the timeframe the game is set they would be out of place.

Spiders would be cool though, and would certainly fit the Mirkwood theme if that's what they go for.

Gandalf can be done, as he's powerful but really does hold back a lot in the stories. Generally giving advice and guiding people. As a hero he could be mostly support with a little bit of fight.

You're totally right about the Uruks, Saruman is responsible for them. Mirkwood would be cool, or even vising Dol Goldur. What's great about Middle Earth is that there are so many options!

7 minutes ago, Kunitzu San said:

7 minutes ago, Kunitzu San said:

You're totally right about the Uruks, Saruman is responsible for them

I just double-checked, Uruks were around for about 540 years before the events of LotR. The ones Saruman bred were specifically resistant to sunlight. So they could be added but to be thematic they would only be able to enter spaces in darkness.

EDIT: my source is wikipedia, if anyone is wondering.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

No, that Uruk history sounds about right. Forgot the sunlight resistant bit...

On 1/20/2020 at 11:38 PM, Majushi said:

Probably a new class named (wizard anyone?)

Lore-master perhaps ?

Just found this online... Not sure of it authenticity

https://preview.redd.it/4t91qfl7o7c41.jpg?width=320&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=b8e6b28c660059c5e002aee591e53fe8e564b52b

Expansion box art

It has the following description, giving us some hints about the new locations and hero's.

Expand your adventures across Middle-earth with the Shadowed Paths expansion for The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth! This expansion adds new heroes, enemies, terrain, and items to all of your adventures, unlocking more ways for you to explore this iconic land. Meanwhile, an all-new campaign containing thirteen scenarios invites you to walk the tangled paths of Mirkwood and venture into the shadowed halls of abandoned Moria to face ancient evils. Will you heed the call? Prepare your heroes and brave the terrors of Shadowed Paths!

It is supposed to be announced next week during a FFG live stream.

Bring it!

Also

The new expansion adds five new playable heroes, including Gandalf the Grey and Arwen, new enemies, and an intricate branching campaign that offers tons of replayability. Release date Feb 29th

Looks like we'll be going to Moria -- and hopefully getting a balrog figurine!

Edited by Kjeld
38 minutes ago, Kjeld said:

Looks like we'll be going to Moria -- and hopefully getting a balrog figurine!

I think you can see the Balrog in the background of the picture. That makes it pretty likely.

Or they'll pull a 'Boba Fett'. Putting him on the box but not inside. Imperial Assault players will remember this.

Getting excited! @Majushi , your were right on the money about Mirkwood. Looks like we'll be getting some spiders and goblins. I hope that if the Balrog is there that it is included in the box.

8 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

I hope that if the Balrog is there that it is included in the box.

I genuinely hope we do NOT get the Balrog.

I don't expect it will be in there, as the power level would simply be too much for most (if not all) of the heroes in the game to handle.

There could be an encounter that hints and something fiery in the deep, but that's all I want.

For enemies given the text " Meanwhile, an all-new campaign containing thirteen scenarios invites you to walk the tangled paths of Mirkwood and venture into the shadowed halls of abandoned Moria to face ancient evils. "

Mirkwood

- mirkwood spiders

- ?She-Lob? type boss spider

Moria

- goblins

- orks??

- cave troll (boss?)

- great goblin (boss)

1 hour ago, Majushi said:

I genuinely hope we do NOT get the Balrog.

I don't expect it will be in there, as the power level would simply be too much for most (if not all) of the heroes in the game to handle.

The way they handled this conundrum in the LCG is to create an encounter where the objective is simply to escape the Balrog, rather than defeat it. I could see some interesting opportunities for a similar scenario design if the heroes go into Moria.