Expansions confirmed

By piparitalo, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

FFG just had an AMA (Ask Me Anything) with the head of studio and confirmed that they will release two different kind of expansions:
- Figure packs (like the one just released)
- Big box expansions with lots of content

More info will be coming early 2020.

Here is the link for the JoTM part: https://youtu.be/6VseOrN5B58?t=789

I like the figure packs and hoping they add more heroes that way, and that they use big boxes to introduce more terrain and new mechanics.

Edited by piparitalo
Update timestamp

So nothing till mid 2020? Disappointed

my main take from that is that the game has a finite planned life

also the expansions will be BIG - so £60? And no smaller £30 expansions except the figure packs

no mention of new DLC

I guess I’ll be throwing my money at Marvel Champions! 👍

Edited by Daft Blazer
2 hours ago, Daft Blazer said:

So nothing till mid 2020? Disappointed

my main take from that is that the game has a finite planned life

also the expansions will be BIG - so £60? And no smaller £30 expansions except the figure packs

no mention of new DLC

I guess I’ll be throwing my money at Marvel Champions! 👍

...what? Just because a game’s expansions are spread out doesn’t mean it’s planned for a shorter run. If for any reason, I’d agree with you due to how set they seem to be on keeping it within the time period, but even then...

Big boxes will most likely come with a little more of everything: heroes, enemies, journey map tiles, etc. and will almost certainly include a new campaign. I’d guess they’ll release those by locations, since they seem to be sticking to Ariador so far. That would also make it easier to include new terrain types, like some journey map pieces with mountainous or snowy regions.

I mean give up on it if you want to, but this game is far from dead.

Hello

I listened to the guy, and I didnt really get what he says at the end of the LOTR sequences :

"Plans are not to make new additions. Fans are not really interested in doing new additions, and we dont think it necessarly needs one" ...?

I am not a native english speaker, I think I am missing something here: what is he talking about, if "expansions" are planned..?

24 minutes ago, shade666 said:

Hello

I listened to the guy, and I didnt really get what he says at the end of the LOTR sequences :

"Plans are not to make new additions. Fans are not really interested in doing new additions, and we dont think it necessarly needs one" ...?

I am not a native english speaker, I think I am missing something here: what is he talking about, if "expansions" are planned..?

I believe he says "new edition," which i understand to mean they aren't going to change the way it plays/works, but will just be adding character packs, DLC, and expansions to it.

12 minutes ago, benrp said:

I believe he says "new edition," which i understand to mean they aren't going to change the way it plays/works, but will just be adding character packs, DLC, and expansions to it.

EDITION..thanks.. didnt catched the word correctly :) makes sense

Announcement in early 2020, could mean nothing until the second quarter. Hopefully I’m wrong 😎

1 hour ago, Daft Blazer said:

Announcement in early 2020, could mean nothing until the second quarter. Hopefully I’m wrong 😎

What difference does it make if does take that long? This kind of game doesn't need frequent releases, it needs quality content. If that takes a little longer to produce and test then that's what they should be doing.

(Not to imply it doesn't have quality content currently)

Edited by Uninvited Guest
20 hours ago, shade666 said:

Hello

The new edition comments were referencing LOTR The CArd Game. Not this game.

Yep, I put the timestamp wrong. Just updated the link 😀

Interesting to see how Many dls They can/will make per each big box expansion. All in all those announcements seems to follow normal Ffg release schedule.

If only I could get a group to finish the first campaign 😒 . Wonderful news though.

Edited by Thaeggan

On 9/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, pixcalcis said:

The new edition comments were referencing LOTR The CArd Game. Not this game.

Well thanks !!!! Totally didnt notice I was watching something wrong !! Makes more sense now :)

Honestly, I'd expect one DLC per Big Box Expansion (at a minimum)

I was surprised by the Ember Crown dlc being linked to the Villains box.

It was more likely a way to incentivise people getting the two Villains from the Core Campaign by adding a Villain for the DLC campaign.

Will be interesting to see if they re-use that method in future tiny boxes.

3 hours ago, Majushi said:

Will be interesting to see if they re-use that method in future tiny boxes.

He seemed to indicate a preference for pairing DLC with physical product in the interview, so that seems like a good bet.

I'm not in a hurry since me and my friends still haven't finished the first campaign.

The only thing I would like to see on a regular basis are new campaigns. I can wait for a year for new physical expansions but I can't wait a year for new campaigns, cause these campaigns are what keeps me playing the game. And all my "expansions" are useless when there is no campaign to play them.

What i would like to see besides the heroes, enemies, etc. is new items. I would like to have more options when choosing a weapon. Maybe we don’t need new basic weapons but I would definitely like to see more upgradable options. If i am not mistaken there is only one “path” for each weapon so far. People will probably find best weapon/class/scenario combos but i like to have variety.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:03 AM, Milanpop said:

If i am not mistaken there is only one “path” for each weapon so far.

I don't think I understand what you mean by this. Most weapons that have multiple options at tier 2 and all weapons have multiple options at tier 3.

Or are you looking for a set of tier 2 items that will lock you into a set of tier 3 items?

Despite this vague promise of future expansions, I do find it concerning that there have still been no announcements or news on this game in any fashion.

? Ones a year is plenty!

Next expansion will come 2020 or 2021... no reason to announce anything this far in advance! This is not Lcg. This is a board game so expasion even one time a year is a lot. We did get allready expansion this year, so the next is year or more away! Unless They have accelerated expansion releases shedule in the Beginning of the game, so we may get two expansions next year, but even one would be super cool!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
Extra bits

Just because FFG is known for throwing expansions at the fan base like taxes for some games, doesn’t mean they can be held responsible to do so with another game. I feel like FFG’s own reputation is working against them here by producing lofty (loftier) expectations.

On 10/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, Hannibal_pjv said:

? Ones a year is plenty!

Next expansion will come 2020 or 2021... no reason to announce anything this far in advance! This is not Lcg. This is a board game so expasion even one time a year is a lot. We did get allready expansion this year, so the next is year or more away! Unless They have accelerated expansion releases shedule in the Beginning of the game, so we may get two expansions next year, but even one would be super cool!

You have obviously not experienced the Descent, IA and MoM hype or you would know new were constantly pouring in for those games, so gotta agree with Kjeld here... they threw this big empty box on the shelves, then added a meaningles small 3-figures box and then..... flatline................ radio silence.................

They pretty much failed at creating any sorts of hype for this game so far.

There was AMA where FFG did clarification that They will slow down their release shedule. That info is from AH channel.

17 hours ago, ricthot said:

You have obviously not experienced the Descent, IA and MoM hype or you would know new were constantly pouring in for those games, so gotta agree with Kjeld here... they threw this big empty box on the shelves, then added a meaningles small 3-figures box and then..... flatline................ radio silence.................

Of the three games you listed only one compares. Descent wasn't built around its app initially, and IA has a competitive aspect that required frequent releases to stay fresh. MoM2e is a good example.

However, there's really no need for them to rush new content. Let them take their time to turn out a high quality product. The game has plenty of detractors right now, so a solid second box might be what they need.

Also, this thread is literally about them saying when to expect an update. That's the exact opposite of "radio silence." As an IA fan, it's not something I expected.

On 10/13/2019 at 3:58 PM, ricthot said:

And they also released an entire campaign....

As stated above, Mansions would probably be the best example used to forecast releases for this.

The pace of releases really isn’t all that different from mansions of madness. Mansions did have the advantage of being able to frontload the content carried over from first edition( which this game obviously cannot do) however, in general they had a big box and small box each once a year. Which is essentially what we will most likely be getting. We don’t know the size/contents of the Journeys big box expansions. By the comments made during the AMA it sounds like they could be bigger than mansions big box expansions. The figure packs have less physical content than mansions small boxes but was accompanied by the release of a greater amount of digital product..so I call that a wash.

And regarding radio silence...... Again, we didnt see that immediately after mansions release because of the first edition carryover products releasing. Since this game doesn’t have that benefit we shouldn’t expect something similar. For mansions, the time between the first fully 2nd edition small box RELEASE and the subsequent first big box ANNOUNCEMENT article (which, conveniently, is where we are in the journeys product life) was six months. Based on that previous example we shouldn’t expect any articles for a while yet.

Edited by pixcalcis