Expansions confirmed

By piparitalo, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

3 hours ago, aswitcher said:

For enemies given the text " Meanwhile, an all-new campaign containing thirteen scenarios invites you to walk the tangled paths of Mirkwood and venture into the shadowed halls of abandoned Moria to face ancient evils. "

Mirkwood

- mirkwood spiders

- ?She-Lob? type boss spider

Moria

- goblins

- orks??

- cave troll (boss?)

- great goblin (boss)

I think you're spot on.

Likely to have Spiders.

Likely to have 2 types of Goblins (Shooters and Stabbers)

Likely to have a Cave Troll

Bosses likely to be;

Boss Spider (sold in separate pack later)

Boss Goblin (sold in a separate pack later)

We could possibly see some evil dwarf/elf enemies maybe? Corrupted somehow?

Boss Dwarf/Elf (sold in a separate pack later)

8 hours ago, Majushi said:

I genuinely hope we do NOT get the Balrog.

I don't expect it will be in there, as the power level would simply be too much for most (if not all) of the heroes in the game to handle.

There could be an encounter that hints and something fiery in the deep, but that's all I want.

I agree, especially when my vision of a balrog is more of human shape with figurative wings than the fiery demon from the movies.

Balrog could work as an unwinable opponent. You have to run away from it, Try to avoid being devoured by him!

So it is possible, but there Are Plenty of adventuring even if we don`t get him.

10 hours ago, Majushi said:

I think you're spot on.

Likely to have Spiders.

Likely to have 2 types of Goblins (Shooters and Stabbers)

Likely to have a Cave Troll

Bosses likely to be;

Boss Spider (sold in separate pack later)

Boss Goblin (sold in a separate pack later)

We could possibly see some evil dwarf/elf enemies maybe? Corrupted somehow?

Boss Dwarf/Elf (sold in a separate pack later)

While I wouldn't put it past FFG from selling the bosses in separate packs, it would be nice if those figures were included. As a die-hard Imperial Assault player, that's one of the things that irked me how they handled that.

1 minute ago, Kunitzu San said:

While I wouldn't put it past FFG from selling the bosses in separate packs, it would be nice if those figures were included. As a die-hard Imperial Assault player, that's one of the things that irked me how they handled that.

I mean... it would fit the pattern from the core set? Did that not bother you or are you just referencing Imperial Assault because it was a more prevalent issue there?

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

I mean... it would fit the pattern from the core set? Did that not bother you or are you just referencing Imperial Assault because it was a more prevalent issue there?

More referring to how it was in Imperial Assault; separate characters being sold in separate packs was rather tedious (and could get quite expensive). In comparison, I preferred that they bundled the three bosses from the core set in the same package. Would still prefer that they were in the box with everything else, though.

9 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Balrog could work as an unwinable opponent. You have to run away from it, Try to avoid being devoured by him!

So it is possible, but there Are Plenty of adventuring even if we don`t get him.

This. Not that I think it is essential or anything, but they certainly could have him chase the party.

18 hours ago, Kjeld said:

The way they handled this conundrum in the LCG is to create an encounter where the objective is simply to escape the Balrog, rather than defeat it. I could see some interesting opportunities for a similar scenario design if the heroes go into Moria.

Well the not totally true, you absolutely go back later in the block and and have a proper rematch with him. However if I recall correctly when you win, you pull a boulder down on top of him to muddy the waters on if you could actually contend.

2 hours ago, programdude said:

Well the not totally true, you absolutely go back later in the block and and have a proper rematch with him. However if I recall correctly when you win, you pull a boulder down on top of him to muddy the waters on if you could actually contend.

There are three scenarios with the Balrog of Moria in the LCG, but each one essentially offers escape as the primary route to "succeed" at the scenario:

1. Flight from Moria. Depending on how you progress (there are several branches), you face The Nameless Fear (representation of the Balrog), but only have to either deal it a certain amount of damage or simply quest past it.
  2. Shadow and Flame. The heroes have to survive their encounter with Durin's Bane. Note that Durin's Bane is indestructible, and players just need to try to shove him into the "Dark Pit" to make their escape.
  3. Journey in the Dark. The players have the option to sneak past the Balrog, and only face it if they fail. Players still have the choice of fleeing from the Balrog or sacrificing a hero at the Bridge of Khazad Dum to take him down (otherwise, he's indestructible).

Does anyone have any insight on which dwarves feature on the cover with Gandalf? Based on good colors if that’s relevant from the Hobbit, looks like it’d be Balin and... Glóin? (There are several dwarves listed at once when the brown hood is referenced)

I feel like it’s pretty safe to say we’ll get the two of them, so after Gandalf and Arwen we’ve got one more spot to fill. I’d kindof like to see another Hobbit, for balance, but I suppose another human might be better? That way we’d have 3 elves, 3 dwarves, 3 humans, and Gandalf and Bilbo would be unique for the time being, which I feel like makes sense?

On the topic of roles, which I’m most interested in... this box requires the core set, I assume? So it wouldn’t have to have any new content by way of roles, at all, really. I’ll hold out hope til we know more though.

A wizard staff as a one handed support-type weapon would be cool (Gandalf could still wield a sword, that way), another ranged weapon would be nice, though I could see them excluding it for “balance”... anything else that stands out as a likely addition?

There have been claims the heroes are;

Gandalf

Arwen

Eleanor (gondorian)

Balin

Dis (female dwarf)

the identity of the three last ones are suspect in my opinion, but could be possible.

9 hours ago, Majushi said:

Dis (female dwarf)

Oh dang if I hadn’t looked her up I would’ve assumed she was an FFG-created character. I’d love to see Kíli and Fili’s mother/Thorin’s sister, since those three are presumably out of the running (the game is set post-Battle of Five Armies, no?).

Edited by SpiderMana
Typos
5 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Oh dang if I hadn’t looked her up I would’ve assumed she was an FFG-created character. I’d love to see Kíli and Fili’s mother/Thorin’s sister, since those three are presumably out of the running (the game is set post-Battle of Five Armies, no?).

Yes, the base game is set following the events of the Hobbit but prior to the start of Lord of the Rings. With that being said, as we don't have official details from FFG just yet, it is possible that they may be trying to recreate the latter portion of the Hobbit (although with the inclusion of Moria, it seems more like an original adventure remixing certain elements and locations from Hobbit and Fellowship).

Perhaps it's a rescue mission to help Balin hold Moria as the Goblins and Balrog claim it?

2 hours ago, Kunitzu San said:

Perhaps it's a rescue mission to help Balin hold Moria as the Goblins and Balrog claim it?

Gandalf: “I have no memory of this place...”

7 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Maybe he doesn't have a great memory 😉

On 1/25/2020 at 2:29 PM, SpiderMana said:

This quote is in regards to that place in particular. He has been to Moria a few times prior to the lord of the rings, so a Defense/rescue of Moria could be possible.

57 minutes ago, Lord Citrus said:

This quote is in regards to that place in particular. He has been to Moria a few times prior to the lord of the rings, so a Defense/rescue of Moria could be possible.

It... It was a joke. :P

14 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

It... It was a joke. :P

Turns out not great with online jokes haha

With new details supposedly emerging this Tuesday, one last bit of speculation: I imagine that the expansion starts in the Rivendell, journeying through Moria and Mirkwood, and then finally culminating at Dol Goldur. That's my guess, at least, but we'll find out soon!

Would love to get Boromir as a player character!

Also curious to see if they'll include some new mecanics!

There is corruption mechanic in the expansions, so very thematic... and annoying! And that is good! Corruption is new permanent thing that can kill you! So it does not disappear during the campaign like wounds and horror does, so you have to be extra careful when there are interesting looking trinkets around! Maybe it is better to leave them alone...