Thoughts on Hero Pack contents?

By jonboyjon1990, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

37 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

I think there's a very reasonable chance that the Hero Packs will be single Aspect, and I think people should consider that so that they're not disappointed if that turns it to be true.

Quoted for truth.

This is the assumption I'm operating under.

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

I don't understand what you're saying.

I know that under either distribution model you could run Protection Ms. Marvel with her pack, or her pack plus Core.

I'm saying, this isn't a competitive game. The "meta" didn't need constant shaking. I think there's a very reasonable chance that the Hero Packs will be single Aspect, and I think people should consider that so that they're not disappointed if that turns it to be true.

I am currently operating under the assumption that I won't see new Justice cards until May.

The meta doesnt need constant shaking.

But players want new toys to play with in their decks. And if I only play Aggression, my deck is the same for a long time. I get bored.

So they give us a little treat. You dont need it, but the people who want it have something.

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

Double Post

Edited by Radix2309
2 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

But players want new toys to play with in their decks. And if I only play Aggression, my deck is the same for a long time. I get bored.

So they give us a little treat. You dont need it, but the people who want it have something.

That argument absolutely holds water.

But I suspect FFG's assumption is that if you're getting bored, play a new hero or a new pack. Because if you only play Aggression, you're getting a new hero every month. Try them out. That's fifteen new cards in your Aggression deck!

At the end of the day, putting four aspects in every pack means if I want to own every Protection card, I have to buy every pack. And that kind of thinking is what has lead to the slow death of pretty much every LCG FFG has released. I think they're working really hard to make it so that a player can join up in 2023, having just gone on a date to see Eternals 2, and be able to buy into the game very cheaply. If there are only six Protection Packs at that point, that makes it pretty cheap to get into Protection. No Kingo Protection decks will require you to hunt down a bunch of packs. Just the six.

I don't know. Nobody posting here knows. But there are arguments to be had for both sides, and there's no "right" answer, and I'm not advocating , I'm just making my guess based on the trends we've been seeing in how FFG releases/markets their LCGs.

5 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

But you are already getting new toys. There will be neutral cards on every deck that can fit any existing deck. Those cards are also more versatil, which might make them more interesting than just a few aspect new cards.

Imagine if the "staple" cards people keep mentioning, like Nick Fury, the double resources or Avengers Mansion, were released on Ms Marvel Protection deck. Even if you don't run that aspect, you might be interested on owning those new neutral cards for your favourite decks.

Edited by xchan
6 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

That argument absolutely holds water.

But I suspect FFG's assumption is that if you're getting bored, play a new hero or a new pack. Because if you only play Aggression, you're getting a new hero every month. Try them out. That's fifteen new cards in your Aggression deck!

At the end of the day, putting four aspects in every pack means if I want to own every Protection card, I have to buy every pack. And that kind of thinking is what has lead to the slow death of pretty much every LCG FFG has released. I think they're working really hard to make it so that a player can join up in 2023, having just gone on a date to see Eternals 2, and be able to buy into the game very cheaply. If there are only six Protection Packs at that point, that makes it pretty cheap to get into Protection. No Kingo Protection decks will require you to hunt down a bunch of packs. Just the six.

I don't know. Nobody posting here knows. But there are arguments to be had for both sides, and there's no "right" answer, and I'm not advocating , I'm just making my guess based on the trends we've been seeing in how FFG releases/markets their LCGs.

But most players dont care about owning literally every card of an Aspect.

And even fewer care about owning every card of a single aspect and not playing the others.

This isnt competitive, so having a complete set isnt as important.

16 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

It isnt an assumption, it was mentioned by one of the Designers.

If you can actually provide a link for that, the argument will immediately end. But nobody else seems to have seen/heard that.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:10 AM, Radix2309 said:

Having the 3 resource cards is hardly optimal.

It isnt an assumption, it was mentioned by one of the Designers.

They have done it before. Intro decks and Champion decks are both reprints.

They just have never done complete decks with new cards.

Where was it mentioned? I'd like to know so I can be disappointed now rather than later.

There is a difference between intro decks and champion decks that are supplemental purchases and the main line releases. This would be pretty big news. I'd rather not have 20 copies of Genius or Nick Fury sitting in my card box.

Edited by phillos
17 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

But most players dont care about owning literally every card of an Aspect.

And even fewer care about owning every card of a single aspect and not playing the others.

This isnt competitive, so having a complete set isnt as important.

You obviously haven't seen the discussions on the Arkham Horror LCG forum concerning buying a second core set or not... haha

On 8/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, FearLord said:

Yes, it will be really interesting when the Captain America preview article comes out.

Who do you reckon his nemesis will be?

Red Skull is a villain worthy of his own scenario pack, so my money is on Baron Zemo.

If they were to add Red Skull as Cap's nemesis, and if down the line they produce a Red Skull scenario pack, I would hope alternative nemesis cards for Cap would be included in the Red skull pack. This would allow you to play as Cap vs Red Skull. [Just thinking out loud here].

54 minutes ago, Janaka said:

Who do you reckon his nemesis will be?

Red Skull is a villain worthy of his own scenario pack, so my money is on Baron Zemo.

If they were to add Red Skull as Cap's nemesis, and if down the line they produce a Red Skull scenario pack, I would hope alternative nemesis cards for Cap would be included in the Red skull pack. This would allow you to play as Cap vs Red Skull. [Just thinking out loud here].

I’m speculating either Crossbones or Batroc the Leaper. I think Zemo could be his own scenario as well (I’m personally hoping for something where he’s assembling a new Masters of Evil for an Assault on Avengers Mansion and he has extra ways to bring your Nemesis into play).

I'd also guess Crossbones or Batroc. Even more likely since both have had MCU appearances. I doubt they'll make a villain pack for either of those guys. Zemo and Red Skull are definitely villain pack worthy.

9 minutes ago, phillos said:

I'd also guess Crossbones or Batroc. Even more likely since both have had MCU appearances. I doubt they'll make a villain pack for either of those guys. Zemo and Red Skull are definitely villain pack worthy.

Yeah, I think those guys are the right sort of level, and like Whiplash level exposure from the MCU so would be a decent fit.

Nemesis’s for this game seem to be more on the ‘someone annoying I fight with some regularity’ rather than the ‘arch enemy’ sort of scale...

Edited by FearLord

But Batroc the Leaper needs to be a Gwenpool ally!

6 hours ago, phillos said:

They have? I have no idea who these villains are but I’ve seen them in movies?

Batroc was the head villain on the ship that Cap and Natasha assault at the beginning of Winter Soldier. Crossbones' name is Brock Rumlow. He is the Shield agent that cap initial works with, but later fights when he's revealed to be a hydra agent. He's the dude in leading the security team in the famous elevator fight in that movie. Crossbones looks more like his comic book depiction when he shows up in Civil War.

Edited by phillos

Yeah, I doubt many people would connect MCU Batroc with the comic version since the outfit is a lot more... comic bookie, lol!

Well the same goes for Klaw. I bet most people don't realize they've seen that guy in the MCU already. He certainly looks different in the comics.

Edited by phillos
23 minutes ago, phillos said:

Well the same goes for Klaw. I bet most people don't realize they've seen that guy in the MCU already. He certainly looks different in the comics.

True!

On 8/29/2019 at 12:08 PM, rsdockery said:

But Batroc the Leaper needs to be a Gwenpool ally!

Yes please! I'd love to get a Gwenpool hero pack if the stars aligned. I think it would be cool if she could manipulate decks to the theme of her powerset. Future Gwen nemesis?