Thoughts on Hero Pack contents?

By jonboyjon1990, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Just thinking about the structure/contents of Hero Packs.

So I think a hero’s obligation card is included in their special 15 cards and the Hero card itself is an additional card.

I think all nemesis sets are 5 cards.

So a pack could be:

Hero card x1

Hero set x15

Nemesis set x5

Player cards x39 (playset of 13 cards)

Another wrinkle is that if unique/limit 1 cards are in a pack they will probably only include one copy. And of course, since all hero packs are playable decks, I’m sure FFG won’t be beholden to any specific structure.

Obligation cards are an extra card on top of the 15 signature cards.

I’ve been considering this, and I think it would be cool if it broke down as:

1 Identity card

1 Obligation card

5 Nemesis cards

15 signature cards

18 - 19 Aspect cards for the primary type

6 - 7 neutral cards

Which would give you a 40 card deck and the 7 extras needed for that hero. The deck wouldn’t be optimised, as it would come with a full play set for each card (depending on the card itself).

The other 13 cards could be split between the other 3 aspects - obviously not part of the main deck, but giving the other aspects some small growth...

I'm sure Campaign Boxes will be mind-blowing when they're announced, and we'll all be really excited, but the breakdown of what they intend to do with the gap between "playable deck" and "60 cards" is the information I'm most interested to learn.

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

I'm sure Campaign Boxes will be mind-blowing when they're announced, and we'll all be really excited, but the breakdown of what they intend to do with the gap between "playable deck" and "60 cards" is the information I'm most interested to learn.

Given that the packs will be playable decks and have to include all the other stuff, plus the possibility of Uniques and limit 1 cards, the ‘spare’ cards could well be additional cards to finish playsets

1 minute ago, jonboyjon1990 said:

Given that the packs will be playable decks and have to include all the other stuff, plus the possibility of Uniques and limit 1 cards, the ‘spare’ cards could well be additional cards to finish playsets

I’m currently not reading much more into ‘playable’ than ‘legal’, but I suppose it’s equally likely that it comes with a card telling you the proposed deck, and then extra copies of the cards they don’t think you should run max copies of...

1 hour ago, CitizenKeen said:

Yes, it will be really interesting when the Captain America preview article comes out.

Considering the recommended starter decks in the core set included cards at 1x and 2x I suspect the hero pack's pre-built deck will do the same. The remaining 13 cards will be whats needed to complete the playsets of what is included in the deck. This allows the deck the versatility of showing off more cards, whilst allowing you to customise it without losing that 'out the box' experience that they are aiming for.

Edited by iJiminy

I think there is going to be new cards for the other Aspects making up at least 9 of the remaining cards. The alternative is players waiting 6 minths for new cards of a specific aspect.

Then the other 4 might be filler of playsets.

Okay, lets see what I can come out with:

• 1 x Hero / Alter Ego card
  • 1 x Obligation card
  • 5 x Nemesis pack
  • 15 x Hero core cards
  • 2 x Power of Aspect cards [These are looking like staple cards, but there's only 1 playset of each in the Core. This would be a good way to make more available].
  • 1-4 more reprinted cards [Ones that really work with this hero or are needing another playset available
  • 18-24 Aspect cards for this deck [6 - 10 new cards depending on maximum cards per deck]
  • 8 -14 Neutral cards for this deck [3 - 6 new cards]
14 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

• 2 x Power of Aspect cards [These are looking like staple cards, but there's only 1 playset of each in the Core. This would be a good way to make more available].

Power of aspect cards are pretty bad, and far from staples. I hope they are not reprinted at all.

• 1-4 more reprinted cards [Ones that really work with this hero or are needing another playset available

Has FFG reprinted a card in their none competitive LCG before? I don't think so, so why would they reprint any on MC?

It would feel like we are paying for that extra second core other lcg require piece by piece. Bad idea.

I'm not sure why would anyone need another playset of cards in the core set. We survived every other LCG with just one playset of each card, I don't think MC will be different.

If for some reason, a playgroup wants extra copies of certain cards, they might be better of buying a second core.

I rather see more new neutral cards as those help every deck.

3 minutes ago, xchan said:

Power of aspect cards are pretty bad, and far from staples. I hope they are not reprinted at all.

Has FFG reprinted a card in their none competitive LCG before? I don't think so, so why would they reprint any on MC?

It would feel like we are paying for that extra second core other lcg require piece by piece. Bad idea.

I'm not sure why would anyone need another playset of cards in the core set. We survived every other LCG with just one playset of each card, I don't think MC will be different.

If for some reason, a playgroup wants extra copies of certain cards, they might be better of buying a second core.

I rather see more new neutral cards as those help every deck.

They have said these decks are playable right out of the pack. I expect the core neutrals like the resources and Nick Fury will be reprinted.

They confirmed there will be reprints of a few cards.

3 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

Did they?

5 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

They have said these decks are playable right out of the pack.

And what does that have to do with reprints? There's no must use cards in this game similar to locations in the new VS System 2PCG or mana in Magic. Every card is a resource card, so decks can be playable having a complete different card list. There's no need for reprints outside the devs being lazy.

Do you have a source for that? Like I said, if true, they are just making us buy a second core piece by piece. Pretty disappointing.

2 hours ago, xchan said:

And what does that have to do with reprints? There's no must use cards in this game similar to locations in the new VS System 2PCG or mana in Magic. Every card is a resource card, so decks can be playable having a complete different card list. There's no need for reprints outside the devs being lazy.

Do you have a source for that? Like I said, if true, they are just making us buy a second core piece by piece. Pretty disappointing.

It was in either a stream or the in-flight report.

The cards arent "needed". But stuff like Nick Fury are broad stuff that make most decks better and good for beginners to have.

It isnt like a Core Set because you dont need this to have a full deck. And it would be essentially the same if they printed a 55 card pack. But this eay you can open it up and play a deck akin to the intro decks from core.

We arent missing out on a major new card because of this. They only have so much room for design.

5 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

It was in either a stream or the in-flight report.

The cards arent "needed". But stuff like Nick Fury are broad stuff that make most decks better and good for beginners to have.

It isnt like a Core Set because you dont need this to have a full deck. And it would be essentially the same if they printed a 55 card pack. But this eay you can open it up and play a deck akin to the intro decks from core.

We arent missing out on a major new card because of this. They only have so much room for design.

Nick Fury is a great example of a card there should be no point printing more copies of since you’ll either own a core set or be playing with someone who has a core set which contains a copy of this for every player. I certainly hope they stick to completely new content for these...

I would very much like to know what they supposedly confirmed reprints.

That would be rather disappointing to me to have reprints, especially this early in the life of a game.

Don’t worry, they have not confirmed reprints. Even if they were to re-print cards there’s no way they would reprint a card they gave us 4 playsets of in the core set.

As much as I would like additional copies of the superb Power of cards, I just don’t think we’ll be getting them. True, they have said the hero packs will contain playable decks but they’ve never claimed those playable decks will be fully optimised.

EDIT: Well, this comment certainly aged well 😂

Edited by iJiminy
9 hours ago, xchan said:

Some encounter cards have been reprinted in Arkham Horror (as part of other encounter sets), but never player cards. Reprints in competitive LCGs are also rare (rather than different versions of existing cards). The only ones I can think of were in the early days of AGoT 1st edition (about 10 years ago).

Edited by Khudzlin

No they've never reprinted player cards in new packs. Maybe in AGOT 1.0 (I wasn't playing LCGs back then), but that went through alot of evolution to setting on the current LCG distribution model. Instead of doing that in past games they just do the best they can with the suggested decks per product. It's an assumption people are making. I maintain nothing in that core set is a must have in a future deck. Nick is fine, but not an auto include. I guess there's an argument for the resource cards in the core, but I think then they'd miss an opportunity to make a more interesting resource generation option in each of these decks rather than the generic ones presented in the core. Plus everyone playing this game will have a core. Maybe Captain America will be playable out of the box but that doesn't mean he must have Genius in his pack. Playable doesn't mean optimal. If these out of the box decks were optimal then we'd have nothing to chew on. My hope is they are thematic more than optimal.

Co-op LCGs grow their player card pool very slowly. It would be a mistake to waste pack space like on choices like this one.

Edited by phillos

Having the 3 resource cards is hardly optimal.

It isnt an assumption, it was mentioned by one of the Designers.

They have done it before. Intro decks and Champion decks are both reprints.

They just have never done complete decks with new cards.

19 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I think there is going to be new cards for the other Aspects making up at least 9 of the remaining cards. The alternative is players waiting 6 minths for new cards of a specific aspect.

Then the other 4 might be filler of playsets.

I think we should temper our expectations. I could see it going either way.

On the one hand, L5R went the "focused pack" route, wherein most of a faction's cards are in a specific pack, and still filled it out with other factions.

On the other hand, that would run very counter to how FFG seems to be marketing/building this game. If I only play Protection Ms. Marvel, having packs limited to a single Aspect makes the game a lot cheaper to get in to / keep up with. If I have to buy all the packs to play Protection Ms. Marvel, it just got more expensive.

1 hour ago, Radix2309 said:

Having the 3 resource cards is hardly optimal.

It isnt an assumption, it was mentioned by one of the Designers.

They have done it before. Intro decks and Champion decks are both reprints.

They just have never done complete decks with new cards.

Intro decks and champion decks are completely different than the monthly LCG chapter/hero/force/dynasty/etc pack. You go into the intro and champ decks knowing they are 100% reprint. The monthly packs have never contained reprints and should not.

12 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

I think we should temper our expectations. I could see it going either way.

On the one hand, L5R went the "focused pack" route, wherein most of a faction's cards are in a specific pack, and still filled it out with other factions.

On the other hand, that would run very counter to how FFG seems to be marketing/building this game. If I only play Protection Ms. Marvel, having packs limited to a single Aspect makes the game a lot cheaper to get in to / keep up with. If I have to buy all the packs to play Protection Ms. Marvel, it just got more expensive.

You dont need to buy each pack for a single playset of a card. You can run a perfectly fine Protection dexk out of Ms Marvel and Core.

But then you get no new cards for 6 months for Ms Marvel.

I don't understand what you're saying.

I know that under either distribution model you could run Protection Ms. Marvel with her pack, or her pack plus Core.

I'm saying, this isn't a competitive game. The "meta" didn't need constant shaking. I think there's a very reasonable chance that the Hero Packs will be single Aspect, and I think people should consider that so that they're not disappointed if that turns it to be true.

I am currently operating under the assumption that I won't see new Justice cards until May.

19 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

I think there's a very reasonable chance that the Hero Packs will be single Aspect

I would actually not be dissapointed with that

Being able the play a hero straight out of the pack is worth a lot