Darth Vader Crew Break Down

By JBFancourt, in X-Wing Rules Questions

Right, these are definitely my opinions.

I would note that the use of INSTEAD had always made me think Sense is two ability options. Just like Gonk. You don’t do the Gonk Action. You pick which one.

WOOT! Page 5!! 🤪 🤪 🤪

Edited by JBFancourt
38 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Right, these are definitely my opinions.

I would note that the use of INSTEAD had always made me think Sense is two ability options. Just like Gonk. You don’t do the Gonk Action. You pick which one.

Well, instead is a replacement effect. So when you spend a force, you're resolving the replacement effect instead of the original one. Gonk, one isn't replacing the effect of the other. They are two entirely separate abilities.

At least, that's how i understand it to be.

Any judge that says that Vader's ability, as it currently reads on his card, means that you MUST go through with it if there are no ships THAT YOU WISH TO CHOOSE (where the "may" part comes in") has a severe case of cranio-rectal impact syndrome.

Seriously, it says " If you do..." It says NOTHING about there being a punishment if you DON'T.

Ugh.

In my opinion, it's not even thematic; sure, Vader's temper flares to deadly levels when he's angry, but he never once endangered his missions on account of that. "RAWR! I so angry, I break ship apart!"

Edited by Vectivus333

Just my 2 Cents, but... Following the same rules as during attack... Here is how we play it in our store.

1. Engagement Turn starts, player chooses to trigger Vader (Crew).
  2. Player looks for a ship at Range 0-2 he "may" choose.
  3. Any ship, be it enemy or own can be a target for it.
  4. Player chooses to trigger the 1 damage or lose green token for the cost of one force.
On 10/20/2019 at 6:59 PM, Vectivus333 said:

Any judge that says that Vader's ability, as it currently reads on his card, means that you MUST go through with it if there are no ships THAT YOU WISH TO CHOOSE (where the "may" part comes in") has a severe case of cranio-rectal impact syndrome.

Seriously, it says " If you do..." It says NOTHING about there being a punishment if you DON'T.

Ugh.

In my opinion, it's not even thematic; sure, Vader's temper flares to deadly levels when he's angry, but he never once endangered his missions on account of that. "RAWR! I so angry, I break ship apart!"

If you don't think he would punish his own people for "letting a target escape", then you should speak to Captian Needa.

I'm merely making the argument that the "may" part comes in for adding it to the queue, not in resolving the ability. I also have recognized that this is *likely* not the case, just that its possible because Vader can target his own ships.

Also, please don't insult people who are having a debate, simply because they don't agree with your view point.

3 hours ago, Lyianx said:

If you don't think he would punish his own people for "letting a target escape", then you should speak to Captian Needa.

I didn't say Vader doesn't punish people, I said he doesn't endanger his missions.

3 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Also, please don't insult people who are having a debate, simply because they don't agree with your view point.

Please don't tell me what to do, and I'll extend the same respect to you, thanks. And, I wasn't insulting any of the people in the debate; I WAS insulting the judge that the OP referenced, because I think his / her decision was foolish.

Edited by Vectivus333
10 minutes ago, Vectivus333 said:

Please don't tell me what to do, and I'll extend the same respect to you, thanks.

1. Telling you to be respectful isn't an insult. If it is, you really need to reevaluate your life.

2. Its not specifically me telling you. its FFG

Terms of Use - Accounts

You will be respectful of other account users - none of your CCs will be obscene, threatening, defamatory, invasive of privacy, or in any other way injurious to any other user.

True, you did say judge, but that can easily apply to anyone in this forum who TO's events, as you said "Any judge". The one you may be specifically pointing a finger at, may very well have an account here (in fact they likely do).

Judges have to make snap calls based on what information they have, and their best interpretation at the moment. Not all of their calls follow though to official FFG rulings (which is why i say their judgments should only be applied to the respective events they are judging). Its easy in hindsight to say "you were wrong" but in the moment, when you have the pressure to make that decision, its not so easy. So implying what you did, to someone who had to make a judgment call, is rather unfair and "armchair quarterbacking". It really doesnt matter if their call ends up being "correct" or not. If players brought it into question, then there was uncertainty as to how it was suppose to work. Plain and simple.

@Lyianx @Vectivus333

As the official OP of this thread, I’m taking my holy obligation to give my two “sense” ( 😁 🤪 😂 ) worth:

Ly, yes r-e-s-p-e-c-t is important and your point is well taken about arm chair QB-ing. However, if I’m correct in understanding Vecty, he was expressing frustration satirically and I didn’t for a moment think he was serious, per the tone of his post.

May just be a humor quality/ preference issue.

I’d love to play a game with either of you, I’m sure it would be a good time, Brothers...

Brother??? Me????

Yes! MY BROTHER!!!

Edited by JBFancourt
3 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Ly, yes r-e-s-p-e-c-t is important and your point is well taken about arm chair QB-ing. However, if I’m correct in understanding Vecty, he was expressing frustration satirically and I didn’t for a moment think he was serious, per the tone of his post.

i dono if implying someone has their head up their...bum (i know the forum will censor what it really means) for ruling a certain way can really be interpreted as "satire". But if he did mean it in humor, then its a rather poor choice in humor, imo.

5 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

i dono if implying someone has their head up their...bum (i know the forum will censor what it really means) for ruling a certain way can really be interpreted as "satire". But if he did mean it in humor, then its a rather poor choice in humor, imo.

Perhaps... And you’re right. 90% of communication is via non-verbals and I’ve been told about my head and *erm* bum in both angry and jovial manner.

MAINLY, I wanted to wave the white flag of peace so the thread on Darth Vader Crew (which has been very productive thus far with good comments (partially thanks to you, too)) did NOT become the thread of FORUM MANNERS - THE DO’S and DON’TS. 😜

9 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Perhaps... And you’re right. 90% of communication is via non-verbals and I’ve been told about my head and *erm* bum in both angry and jovial manner.

MAINLY, I wanted to wave the white flag of peace so the thread on Darth Vader Crew (which has been very productive thus far with good comments (partially thanks to you, too)) did NOT become the thread of FORUM MANNERS - THE DO’S and DON’TS. 😜

How gauche

14 hours ago, JBFancourt said:

Oh sure. I just didnt want this to turn into an insult fest either because "someone didnt agree with me". Neither is productive.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, Lyianx said:

Telling you to be respectful isn't an insult. If it is, you really need to reevaluate your life.

It's telling me what to do, which you have no need to do. I like my life, thanks.

On 10/24/2019 at 11:18 AM, Lyianx said:

True, you did say judge, but that can easily apply to anyone in this forum who TO's events, as you said "Any judge". The one you may be specifically pointing a finger at, may very well have an account here (in fact they likely do)

By your own admission, I haven't violated any rules. Please refrain my policing my activities and worry about your own. Thank you.

Edited by Vectivus333
On 10/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, JBFancourt said:

However, if I’m correct in understanding Vecty, he was expressing frustration satirically and I didn’t for a moment think he was serious, per the tone of his post.

This, thank you.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:40 PM, JBFancourt said:

Brother??? Me????

Yes! MY BROTHER!!!

Heck yes! FLY EMPIRE, BROTHER!

On 10/24/2019 at 3:55 PM, Lyianx said:

But if he did mean it in humor, then its a rather poor choice in humor, imo.

To each their own. You're certainly allowed your opinions, as I am mine.

tenor.gif?itemid=15649918

Haha, it had been soooo long since this discussion id forgotten what the debate was even about. I had to re-read his card to remember it xD.

Im glad they finally clarified it, but it still leaves the question.. why in the living ****, would you ever want to choose a non-enemy ship for his ability? But, thats really one for list builders to figure out i guess. Just glad its finally cleared up.

4 hours ago, Lyianx said:

Haha, it had been soooo long since this discussion id forgotten what the debate was even about. I had to re-read his card to remember it xD.

Im glad they finally clarified it, but it still leaves the question.. why in the living ****, would you ever want to choose a non-enemy ship for his ability? But, thats really one for list builders to figure out i guess. Just glad its finally cleared up.

Ironically, you swayed me to your opinion. I actually liked the idea that Vader was a bit of a wild cannon.

😝 😝

Edited by JBFancourt
13 hours ago, Lyianx said:

I was about to say Quickdraw or Tavson, but they aren't part of the same faction anymore. I don't think Imps have any ships that benefit from being damaged, but if they ever get that mechanic, Vader will be ready to force choke them.

The answer to that has always been opposing Palobs. You want to take a token off a friendly ship so that opposing Palob can't.

5 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

The answer to that has always been opposing Palobs. You want to take a token off a friendly ship so that opposing Palob can't.

Why did I like that? I love Palob and don't want Vader stealing his tokens!