D2e Card Viewer - Image Update Project

By any2cards, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

D2e Card Viewer - a Chrome extension which operates on key websites to underline Descent 2nd Edition card names, which allows you to see images of the cards while you discuss them in forums, threads, etc.

For a long time now, I have been very dissatisfied with many of the card images that are displayed by the D2e Card Viewer. This is due mostly to the fact that I did not have access to the original digital assets of the game, and relied on scanned images; even if those scans were high resolution (300 dpi, 600 dpi, even 1200 dpi), the images tended to looked washed out, blurry, etc. This left the final product leaving much to be desired in my eyes.

If you compare the D2e images across most expansions to the excellent images that exist for Sadgit's Sands of the Past, or even of his re-done Lost Legends cards, the difference is incredible. Further, after working very hard with Isaac Childres (aka Cephalofair - creator of Gloomhaven) and Marcel Cwertetschka (aka Morthai - creator of Forgotten Circles) to utilize the original digital assets of those games in the creation of the Gloomhaven Card Viewer, it further accentuated the enormous difference of quality of images.

Being the perfectionist I am, I couldn't stand it anymore. Since I am 78 years old, I have a plethora of time on my hands. At the urging of Sadgit (and his on-going patience, assistance, direction, etc.), this old dog is learning new tricks ... specifically, how to utilize Adobe's inDesign to create new card images.

So, I am officially announcing my intent ... my grand project if you will ... to re-create ALL of the card images for the game D2e, and thus for the card viewer. I am starting with the Class skills cards and items. I have completed the re-creation of the Apothecary class. If you are using the viewer, you can see a sample of the new cards here:

Bottled Courage

Obviously, this effort is going to take time ... but I feel that it is worth it, as I get to learn new software, new skills, and attempt to keep the mind sharp. Now, as it is necessary to literally re-create all facets of each of the cards (XP, Fatigue, Text, Images, etc.), it is possible, even perhaps likely, that I make mistakes. If you find such mistakes, I would appreciate it if you would point them out to me !

I will update the bottom of this post as I complete card sets.

D2e Image Update Project - Finished Images

August 10, 2019
Class - Apothecary
Class - Bard

August 11, 2019
Class - Disciple
Class - Prophet
Class - Soul Reaper
Class - Spiritspeaker

August 12, 2019
All Class Items

August 13, 2019
Class - Hierophant

August 14, 2019
Class - Conjurer
Class - Elementalist
Class - Geomancer
Class - Hexer
Class - Necromancer
Class - Psychic
Class - Runemaster
Class - Bounty Hunter
Class - Shadow Walker
Class - Stalker
Class - Thief
Class - Treasure Hunter
Class - Wildlander
Class - Beastmaster
Class - Berserker
Class - Champion
Class - Knight
Class - Marshal
Class - Skirmisher

August 15, 2019
Hybrid Class - Crusader
Hybrid Class - Heretic
Hybrid Class - Watchman
Hybrid Class - Battlemage
Hybrid Class - Lorekeeper
Hybrid Class - Truthseer
Hybrid Class - Monk
Hybrid Class - Ravager
Hybrid Class - Trickster
Hybrid Class - Avenger
Hybrid Class - Raider
Hybrid Class - Steelcaster

August 16, 2019
Act I Shop Item Cards

August 17, 2019
Act II Shop Item Cards

August 18, 2019
Condition Cards
Familiar Cards
Class Familiar Cards

August 28, 2019
Implement feedback provided for the following cards:
class-familiars
class-items
class-skills
conditions
familiars
hybrid-class-skills

August 30, 2019
Created and made public a test page for all D2e cards: D2e Card Viewer Test Page

August 31, 2019
Monster Cards (Front & Back):
Arachyura
Bandit
Bane Spider
Barghest
Beastman
Blood Ape
Bone Horror
Broodwalker
Burrowing Horror
Carrion Drake
Cave Spider
Changeling
Chaos Beast

September 1, 2019
Monster Cards (Front & Back)
Crow Hag
Crypt Dragon
Dark Minotaur
Dark Priest
Deep Elf
Demon Lord
Elemental
Ettin

September 3, 2019
Ferrox
Fire Imps
Flesh Moulder
Giant
Goblin Archer
Goblin Witcher
Golem
Harpy
Hellhound

September 4, 2019
Hybrid Sentinel
Ice Wyrm
Ironbound
Kobold
Lava Beetle
Manticore
Marrow Priest
Medusa
Merriod

September 5, 2019
All Monster Cards (Front & Back) have been completed.

September 8, 2019
All Rumor cards have been completed.

September 10, 2019
All Search cards have been completed.
All Advanced Quest cards have been completed.

September 11, 2019
Plot Decks
Burning Ambition
Cursed By Power
Dark Illusions
Dragon's Green

September 12, 2019
Plot Decks
Endless Thirst
Eternal Agony
First Legion
Goblin Uprising
Hybrid Loyalty
Inner Corruption

September 13, 2019
Plot Decks
Raging Infection
Seeds of Betrayal
Silent Protector
Skulduggery

September 14, 2019
All Plot Decks have been completed.

September 19, 2019
Agents (Front & Back)
A-Ardus Ix'Erebus
A-Ariad
A-Baron Zachareth
A-Belthir
A-Bol'Goreth
A-Gargan Mirklace
A-Kyndrithul

September 20, 2019
Agents (Front & Back)
A-Lady Eliza Farrow
A-Lord Merick Farrow
A-Queen Ariad
A-Raythen
A-Rylan Olliven
A-Serena
A-Sir Alric Farrow
A-Skarn

September 21, 2019
All Agents (Front & Back) have been completed.
All Ally Skills have been completed.

September 22, 2019
All Allies (Front & Back) have been completed.

September 23, 2019
All City Event Decks (Shadow of Nerekhall) have been completed.
All Corrupt Citizen cards have been completed.

October 7, 2019
All Relics have been completed.
Overlord Decks - Basic has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Basic II has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Enchanter has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Infector has been completed.

October 9, 2019
Overlord Decks - Overlord Reward has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Punisher has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Quest Reward has been completed.
Overlord Decks - Rumor Reward has been completed.

October 10, 2019
All Overlord Decks have been completed.

October 13, 2019
All Tainted cards have been completed.

October 14, 2019
All Secret Room cards have been completed.

October 15, 2019
All Lieutenant cards have been completed.

This project is now complete. I have generated a new post noting same.

Edited by any2cards
Add New Content

I can't find words - only one - WOW!

As of August 13, 2019, all Healer class cards are finished. In addition, all Class Items (across all classes) are finished.

Hi any2cards

something that could be helpfull to test, if ever you don't have it yet, is an html page with all names and that is also referenced to be used with the tool ...
Like a test page in the root folder of your tool.

Edited by Felin
3 minutes ago, Felin said:

Hi any2cards

something that could be helpfull to test, if ever you don't have it yet, is an html page with all names and that is also referenced to be used with the tool ...
Like a test page in the root folder of your tool.

I do have test pages for my own use. They are not public, however.

I will be working on creating test pages (with some help from @Felin ) that will be stored on my GitHub repository. When this is done, it will provide a central, update-able site, for testing.

@Sadgit : Hopefully, this will facilitate quicker testing to try and resolve some of the issues you are having with images spilling off of pages. This has never happened to me, and yet, with the same setup, seems to be happening to you on certain websites. So strange. So hard to debug.

6 hours ago, any2cards said:

Hopefully, this will facilitate quicker testing to try and resolve some of the issues you are having with images spilling off of pages. This has never happened to me, and yet, with the same setup, seems to be happening to you on certain websites. So strange. So hard to debug.

Go here: http://wiki.descent-community.org/Main_Page and mouseover Raythen or Serena in either the Heroes section or the Lieutenants section at the bottom of the page...

Also, the card viewer doesn't seem to work on subpages of that wiki, only the main page - I don't know if that's intentional or not?

As of August 14, 2019, all Mage class cards are finished.

Edited by any2cards
2 hours ago, Xyphistor said:

Go here: http://wiki.descent-community.org/Main_Page and mouseover Raythen or Serena in either the Heroes section or the Lieutenants section at the bottom of the page...

Also, the card viewer doesn't seem to work on subpages of that wiki, only the main page - I don't know if that's intentional or not?

So these particular cards are a true outlier ... an anomaly ...

As the viewer is trying to be nice and display between 5 and 7 cards that all have the same name.

Quite frankly, I blame the game designers for naming all of these cards the same way πŸ˜‹

There is no way, without an enormous screen and super high resolution, that the viewer will EVER get all of these on the screen. That in part, is the other problem. I designed the viewer to work with the resolution that most users are using today ... that is 1920x1080. Note that I said MOST and not ALL.

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the will to try and figure out a way to code for all possible resolutions.

Having said all of the above, @Sadgit is having issues displaying 2 cards without them sometimes falling out of the viewable screen area --- but apparently this issue, for the same cards, does not happen on all sites ... for example it may work on FFG but not on BGG. This must have something to do with how these websites are rendering certain things ...

Still, I am going to be working on this and try to get at least two cards to work correctly. Quite frankly, the viewer was only ever suppose to show a single card; it simply is trying to be nice by showing everything with the same name. This complicates things. But, I am working on it ...

Ya, I found Sadgit's post on BGG after I'd replied here, that seems like something more specific πŸ˜›

As you say, Serena and Raythen are outliers, there's no need to try and cater for something that extreme.

I wouldn't worry too much about supporting all sorts of screen resolutions anyway - this tool is incredibly useful regardless :)

As of August 14, 2019, all Scout class cards are finished.

As of August 14, 2019, all Warrior class cards are finished.

All Class Skills and all Class Items are now completed.

I am going to be working briefly on setting up a test page, and then I will be moving on to re-doing all of the Act I and Act II item cards.

As of August 15, 2019, all of the Hybrid class cards are finished.

Note: I realize that @Sadgit had already created all of these. In fact, I just used his cards and re-created them, as I wanted a copy of ALL of the cards that have been created for D2e. So, if you now find any errors with these cards, it is NOT Sadgit's fault, but mine. As always, please just let me know. Thanks.

Edited by any2cards

As of August 16, 2019, all Act I Shop Item cards are finished.

As of August 17, 2019, all Act II Shop Item cards are finished.

@any2cards: is the plugin using Flash?

Great work :-), but my Chrome istance deactivated it 😞

11 hours ago, tibia said:

@any2cards: is the plugin using Flash?

Great work :-), but my Chrome istance deactivated it 😞

If you mean the extension D2e Card Viewer, it makes no use of flash what-so-ever. I have never heard about anyone not being able to load the extension. If really does not make use of any for of esoteric calls, etc. It is a single JS file and a single CSS file.

I would make sure you are using the latest version of Chrome, and make sure you are using the latest version of the D2e Card Viewer.

As of August 18, 2019, all Condition cards are finished.

Edited by any2cards

As of August 18, 2019, all Familiar and Class Familiar cards are finished.

Edited by any2cards

Thank you!

... and still no luck with Firefox application? Or it is stopped now?

I researched the whole Firefox issue. I created an extension for it following Firefox rules, and was able to get it to load with no modifications.

I thought, β€œGreat” !

Except, it didn’t do anything! Lol.

i need to work more on it, but for now it is on the back burner as I redo all the cards.

After receiving excellent feedback from @Sadgit and @Felin on some of the re-created hi-res cards I have finished, I went through the following cards and made appropriate changes:

class-familiars
class-items
class-skills
conditions
familiars
hybrid-class-skills

I am working on implementing feedback provided for the Shop Item cards.

In case there were others that may want to use it, I have made public a rudimentary URL test page that allows you to test the D2e Card Viewer with all of the cards in the game. You will find a URL for the page below:

D2e Card Viewer Test Page

Edited by any2cards

I began the re-creation of all of the monster cards (front, back, base game, expansions, conversion kit, etc.). This means re-doing 332 cards. While this is going to be a significant effort, it is an extremely satisfying one, as the monster cards are examples of cards that currently are really poor when viewed via the Card Viewer. The newly created, hi res, vibrant color cards are beautiful in comparison, and they can even be read by someone as old and broken as I !

Today, I created all of the templates, and began the creation of the actual cards. I have updated the following cards, working in alphabetical order:

Arachyura
Bandit
Bane Spider
Barghest
Beastman
Blood Ape
Bone Horror
Broodwalker
Burrowing Horror
Carrion Drake
Cave Spider
Changeling
Chaos Beast

If you look at these, and then look at the remaining cards that are undone, you will notice a significant difference.

So, still does not work on firefox ? :(