Inflight Report 2019

By Majushi, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

I still think (hope?) we'll get more eventually. In the meantime I'm enjoying IACP community fixes for skirmish, app campaigns with my kids, and box campaigns with some friends...

Now I just need to make some time to continue (badly) painting my figures...

I've got feeling that IA 2.0 is coming sooner than we think - That's why they're say nothing about it on "Report" nor Q&A.

My bet is Force Friday, IA 2.0 based on Sequel Trilogy and campaign only in app (like Mansion of Madness). Not sure about skirmish, but if so... then we need Conversion kits and module in app for squad building with online points (no points printed).

Edited by Shwarrz

I am continually baffled by the way "yeah, we're kinda done with this, never say never and you can probably still find somewhere to buy it, but, honestly, guys, we're done" keeps getting interpreted as "loads of new content coming next week!!!".

It's over. It has been for, what, a year or more? And they've even been telling us it's over for months (after trying to avoid the subject for months before that). We can keep playing it and talking about it for sure, but new stuff? Not happening. Let it go.

They haven't said it's over. They've said they're not working on it.

With the amount of new stuff constantly being spammed out for X-Wing, Legion, Five Rings and even Keyforge, not forgetting the Marvel card game, they can only work on so many things.

I haven't once heard any official statement and thought "goody, more stuff to buy", but equally all I am seeing is them working on other projects.

It isn't "dead", or they wouldn't have bothered recently releasing the app challenge map. Why would they bother? They just aren't focused on it.

2 hours ago, onyersix said:

They haven't said it's over. They've said they're not working on it.

With the amount of new stuff constantly being spammed out for X-Wing, Legion, Five Rings and even Keyforge, not forgetting the Marvel card game, they can only work on so many things.

I haven't once heard any official statement and thought "goody, more stuff to buy", but equally all I am seeing is them working on other projects.

It isn't "dead", or they wouldn't have bothered recently releasing the app challenge map. Why would they bother? They just aren't focused on it.

I mean, in all but semantics is there really that much of a difference between "dead" and "skirmish is rapidly declined to almost zero interest in some areas, and we have no plans for physical products"?

Like, from a player perspective, the thought that maybe we might get something in the future even though FFG has been pretty adamant they're not working on anything just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I'm done being Charlie Brown with the football.

On 8/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, ClassicalMoser said:

...it's just tricky for IA Skirmish at the moment because of the quantity of time it will require to fix all its many problems in an effective manner.

Ain't that the truth. 😓

On 8/2/2019 at 10:19 AM, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, this year seemed kinda weak.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything for IA (I've grown wiser than that) but I was hoping for at least something to draw me back in. The Marvel thing piqued my interest (seriously, that's a great license to snag!) even though another company already does an IA-style dungeon crawler with that license... but another card game?

FFG used to be my favorite game company bar none, but this focus on card games is really pushing me further away. I get it- it's a lot cheaper to produce than board games (especially those with minis) but Marvel is an investment you need to lean into, especially now! It just seems so unbearably lazy, to me.

Here's to hoping we can get a proper Avengers board game at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

One wouldn't know from the copious amount of Legion plastic they are rapid firing out of the factory. Seems like every other day there is Legion news. They've put out far more plastic for Legion in a much shorter time than they did for IA.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:25 AM, Shwarrz said:

I've got feeling that IA 2.0 is coming sooner than we think - That's why they're say nothing about it on "Report" nor Q&A.

My bet is Force Friday, IA 2.0 based on Sequel Trilogy and campaign only in app (like Mansion of Madness). Not sure about skirmish, but if so... then we need Conversion kits and module in app for squad building with online points (no points printed).

Sorry. I think IA 2.0 is already out. It's called Legion. Legion is what they want all the PVP'ers playing, and there is no real need to change Campaign. Also, I wouldn't steal an expansion based on the sequel trilogy, let alone actually spend money on it.

5 hours ago, Rikalonius said:

Also, I wouldn't steal an expansion based on the sequel trilogy, let alone actually spend money on it.

I couldn't agree with this more. I wish I could put more hearts on that comment.

Based on the quickness that X-Wing went from sequel stuff to prequel stuff, can we infer that the sequel stuff didn't sell so well?

On the other hand, Armada has two new ships coming down the pipeline that are probably going to be featured in ep IX. I have 3 of everything (except the SSD), and 4 of most expansions from Armada, but these new ones I'm going to pass on. Not sure if I'm in the minority or on that or not...

Even Legion has (apparently) skipped the sequels entirely and is simultaneously releasing OT era and prequel content.

1 hour ago, thestag said:

Based on      the quic  kness that X-Wing went from sequel stuff to prequel stuff, can w   e inf  er that the sequel stuff didn't sell so well   ?      

No, we can’t. They’re still doing sequel ships (they’re their own factions) and there really isn’t much left form them to do (I can’t think of anything). The prequels have so much more content.

16 hours ago, thestag said:

Based on the quickness that X-Wing went from sequel stuff to prequel stuff, can we infer that the sequel stuff didn't sell so well?

If the decision to include the prequel era ships was a REACTIVE business decision, I would honestly say the opposite. When an expansion fails, companies typically retract. When an expansion succeeds, companies will typically expand.

My own thought, however, is that this was a decision they committed to when they were designing 2.0 Mainly because both the Force and Calculate mechanics were very clearly designed with the Republic and Separatists in mind ... the calculate action much moreso than force since that faction is so heavily populated by droids (whereas all other factions only have a few).

They just released the Sequel-factions first as they needed to get those conversion kits out the door ASAP.

Back to THIS game ... I should mention that force and calculate mechanics could definitely find a home in Imperial Assault (modified to fit this arena, of course).

On 8/16/2019 at 2:16 PM, Rikalonius said:

Sorry. I think IA 2.0 is already out. It's called Legion. Legion is what they want all the PVP'ers playing, and there is no real need to change Campaign. Also, I wouldn't steal an expansion based on the sequel trilogy, let alone actually spend money on it.

I’ll buy 3 just to even things out.

I don't get how much some of you hate the sequel movies. I mean, that's fine. You can like what you want. But they are SO much better than any of the prequels and I quite enjoy them. That's cool. Whatever. I like 'em all but I'm more embarrassed to like the prequels... They're pretty awful movies.

16 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

I should mention that force and calculate mechanics could definitely find a home in Imperial Assault (modified to fit this arena, of course).

This is interesting. What do force and calculate mechanics do?

5 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

This is interesting. What do force and calculate mechanics do?

mind you - X-Wing dice are different. But the core concepts can be applied to the IA format.

• For context I have to explain how Focus works in X-Wing. Those dice are printed 1 symbol each side, with some of the symbols being useless eyeball results. A pilot with focus could spend the focus to take those eyeball results (offense or defense) and change all of them to a hit/damage or evade.
  • in 2.0 they introduced Calculate for droid ships. On a surface layer it's a crappy focus because it only lets you change 1 calculate to a favorable symbol (instead of all of them). ... which is neglegible since it was less common to have multiple eyeball results ... However, they built a lot of mechanics for the droid army where these tokens can stack and be shared among other figures.
    • Nature of dice manipulation in IA would be up for debate - making it a weaker modification with the ability to stack and share among droids could be awesome.
  • Force was obviously unique to force users. It was a double-sided token (flip over for active and spent), and force users would typically replenish 1 token per round. Force users could spend this token either in the same way as a calculate action, or as a resource for special abilities. - Granted, even having force powers drove up the price for these figures
    • Same boat as Calculate - the nature of the dice manipulation is up in the air ... but replenish, dice mod, and ability resource could be a solid fit for this game

... also to explain the hate ... there's a lot of truth behind the saying "nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans."

Edited by thinkbomb
11 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

I don't get how much some of you hate the sequel movies. I mean, that's fine. You can like what you want. But they are SO much better than any of the prequels and I quite enjoy them. That's cool. Whatever. I like 'em all but I'm more embarrassed to like the prequels... They're pretty awful movies.

the new ones are pretty bad too, disregarding a lot of the lore, and made this vast universe seem small

3 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

the new ones are pretty bad too, disregarding a lot of the lore, and made this vast universe seem small

There are plenty of good and bad in all three trilogies IMHO.

I for one chose to enjoy the bits I like, but ignore the things that are problematic (for the sake of enjoying a movie).

Holding the OT up on some sort of pedestal will not change my life in any way, so I just enjoy the movies as much or as little as I want.

3 hours ago, Spidey NZ said:

disregarding a lot of the lore...

This is where Disney really failed with the Star Wars license. Effectively alienating everyone that enjoyed anything from the Expanded Universe. We are all just stuck in this holing phase until they either confirm our childhood or effectively erase it from the Jedi archives.

The numbers don't lie either. The Last Jedi is all the way back in the 6th position as far as Star Wars Films when adjusted for inflation (according to Box Office Mojo ). While there's a multitude of reasons why it did 1/3 worse that The Force Awakens, I know that I didn't see it in the theaters because of the poor job that the mouse did with TFA.

11 hours ago, thestag said:

This is where Disney really failed with the Star Wars license. Effectively alienating everyone that enjoyed anything from the Expanded Universe. We are all just stuck in this holing phase until they either confirm our childhood or effectively erase it from the Jedi archives.

The numbers don't lie either. The Last Jedi is all the way back in the 6th position as far as Star Wars Films when adjusted for inflation (according to Box Office Mojo ). While there's a multitude of reasons why it did 1/3 worse that The Force Awakens, I know that I didn't see it in the theaters because of the poor job that the mouse did with TFA.

Ironically I felt like The Last Jedi was one of the best in the whole series, with Solo being the worst. And I grew up in the 80s with the orignal trilogy being my go to school holiday binge. (my preference in order: Solo, II, I, IV, III, V, VII, VI, Rogue One, VIII)

to recap what i said - nobody hates star wars more than star wars fans.

The fact that Star Wars has had a lot of different faces and tones over the decades has caused several people to identify certain aspects as MY STAR WARS.

However, on the internet it's not cool to hate something you don't have a vested interest in. This is due to the general clique-culture of humanity (i.e. it's just life). I bring this up because you'll find an uncanny near 100% consistent statement of "oh, I'm a giant star wars fan, here's my reputation and involvement within the fandom and my background ... and here's why i hate star wars."

Normally, in a conversation this is where I would state my own opinions.

I'm not going to because star wars hatred is largely based on emotional investment. You never have a good conversation when that's the case and people will almost always double down on their opinions or claw at the ceilings trying to find justification for their viewpoints. For example, one time I tried to engage with someone about TLJ to get a more neutral opinion, what they went full hog stupid saying the visual gaffe of the disappearing vibroblade in the red-room battle was concrete proof that Disney destroyed Star Wars.

The other reason I'm saying this is that star wars hatred is basically the type of asinine topic that can derail EVERY conversation it touches. You bring up sequels, then the people who are emotionally invested in hating the sequels will rise to the clarion call and ignore all other conversation points in the thread. I used to be able to do that with the prequels and JarJar Binks, but that's no longer the hot topic issue (with most people, some are still personally incensed by it).

So yeah, end of day ... can we get back to topic and talk about something that isn't just venting of griefs?

3 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

So yeah, end of day ... can we get back to topic and talk about something that isn't just venting of griefs?

Agreed.

Anyone else super stoked for Rise of Skywalker?

4 hours ago, Majushi said:

Agreed.

Me!

On 8/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, Majushi said:

There are plenty of good and bad in all three trilogies IMHO.

Sure, I agree with that. TPM is probably the worst of all the SW movies (IMO) but has one of the coolest villains. Even the OT has a LOT of really dumb stuff that I just laugh at and enjoy the rest of the movie.

13 hours ago, Majushi said:

me too! and the Mandalorian. and to a lesser degree, the Cassian Andor show. Oh, and the official Ewan Macgregor coming back as Obi Wan is pretty cool too.

Alas, all of those could have provided a wealth of new IA content... Anyway, I'm going to play me some skirmish on the weekend.

18 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

can we get back to topic and talk about something that isn't just venting of griefs?

Well... you tried.

With the Sequel Trilogy wrapping up in December, it would become a lot easier to write games and stories set in this era. I for one hope we'll see an ImpAss 2.0 based around the ST stories and characters (even though I would likely have to paint another gazillion Stormtroopers for that... ohboy...). :D

6 hours ago, angelman2 said:

With the Sequel Trilogy wrapping up in December, it would become a lot easier to write games and stories set in this era. I for one hope we'll see an ImpAss 2.0 based around the ST stories and characters (even though I would likely have to paint another gazillion Stormtroopers for that... ohboy...). :D

the expanded stories and exploration will definitely pick up after this 3rd film, for sure. good point