Core set news for UK players - 22 December, £8.99

By RobertIain, in CoC General Discussion

Not correcting previously errata'ed cards would be a bit of a puzzling decision...

PRODIGEE said:

WHAT ??? Are you Kiddin' ??

Sadly not. I can't see why it couldn't have been updated, FFG obviously know about it.

The_Big_Show said:

Dagon still says Invulnerability and Thing from the Stars is missing the errata'd wording. sad.gif

picard-facepalm-1.jpg

Wow. That is...bad. We even put the corrected card text on each of the cards in our comments. It was mentioned several times in discussion. I'm dumbfounded.

Donald said:

Wow. That is...bad. We even put the corrected card text on each of the cards in our comments. It was mentioned several times in discussion. I'm dumbfounded.

Wow, just wow. I am at a loss trying to understand the amount of crappy decisions made for this game, and the reason for them. Anyway, I feel very sorry for those playtester who did correct mistakes and were pretty much ignored.

Not correcting the card texts which had official errata is just a stunning demonstration of lack of attention to detail.

Well, let's look on the bright side. It makes the new white-bordered cards more compatible with previous releases (!)

At least for a few weeks before the inevitable official announcement of obsolescence of the black-bordered cards.

Chick

To help make up for the lack of errata, heres a small Christmas prezzie. These are the domain markers in the new starter.

cuthykn8.jpg

chicklewis said:

Well, let's look on the bright side. It makes the new white-bordered cards more compatible with previous releases (!)

At least for a few weeks before the inevitable official announcement of obsolescence of the black-bordered cards.

make your own format, then.

Polish CoC players have that already ( and our 2 last league tournaments were held using the 3x of rule, too).

Now we will have 1st format with all cards, and second one with reprint/white boarded only (this one is being still worked at).

And a pity, that the only way to get the new story deck is to buy the whole core set .

Too bad some of the errata didn't get printed. :( But it's an impressive list nonetheless. A lot of feedback did make it to the end product, so that's good! :D

Ok, yup, it does look like I missed out on some posts for a couple days.

Wow, that Facepalm graphic was just perfect. I know FFG hasn't reprinted with corrected wording in the past, which sets a precedent, but I've never really understood the reason for that. Heck, especially with the LCG reboot, I would have expected this to be a perfect time to make sure that all the cards or perfect on this printing so that new people buying the set aren't stuck with errata right off the bat.

I agree Kennon, but from what I've heard about the industry in general printing starts a long time before release.

Is it really a surprise to anyone at this point that FFGs did a less than thorough job with the Core Set?

Really!? It was however play tested and given good reviews by some here that I have a considerable amount

of respect for. The Core Set will likely still be the product I base most the organized events around as a Servitor.

By the way FFGs, prior to Xmas would have been a great time to also announce the Call of Cthulhu's OPP!

Please, if you could do so in conjunction with the Core Set release. Do I need to explain how this might

positively impact your Core Set sales? I noticed that Hound of Tindalos from Arkham was reprinted!

I have always loved the card even though it's underpowered for its' cost. I guess it's too much to

hope that FFGs noticed and corrected this somehow. corazon_roto.gif

There are 3 questions I would ask :

- Does anyone knows where we should command it, if the UK GS did sell the game ?

- DO we know when the Spawn of the Sleeper is going to be released ? (CCG ARMORY listed it for november, demonio.gif ).

- Why did'nt anybody who already got the *CoreSet* spoiled the 2 story left or more news ? 'Cause I feel a little like a child waiting for his presents, but don' t see them coming yet !

I was requested by the Power That Be not to spoilt the last unknown story cards yet.

Ok, no problem at all, it was really kind from you to inform us anyway!

Any informations on how to buy the CS online ?

I have to admit, I'm pretty pleased with some of the choices. Many of my favorite utility cards like Binding are back. It is too bad about the errata, but knowing how CCGs are printed and the speed of things on the inside, it happens with games as large as Magic and Yu Gi Oh as well. Unfortunately, word spreads quicker in a larger game, so it's little easier to mull over. Overall I'm pretty pleased, though if I were to jump back into the game there are too many pet cards that I would want to flesh things out that I doubt we'd see printed again anytime soon. I certainly would suggest this set for new players in a heartbeat.

i just now saw the list from the link in the other thread. little let down with no mi-go worker, but its not an entirely bad set of reprints. i dont understand the king in yellow version of hastur, pulp writer stomps all over that.

Hi,

An ask, In cthulhu deck appears Deep One Ambush. It is correct? I think Deep One Ambush is a mistake, and the correct card is Aquatic Ambush (UT R-62)

[email protected] said:

Hi,

An ask, In cthulhu deck appears Deep One Ambush. It is correct? I think Deep One Ambush is a mistake, and the correct card is Aquatic Ambush (UT R-62)

You are correct. Rushed typing at the time and no edit facility. sad.gif

The Core list is out !! And it is MOST interesting. I am very impressed with the choices. FFG certainly considered the long time player. Immediately, I notice classic rares, but few that just kill the value of a classic rare. That is: G-men, Mulder, Short Fuse, Anthropology Advisor, mi-go scout, slavering gug, y'gol, messenger from beyond, ghost, victoria, living mummy, blackmoor estate, servant from out of time - these are some rares we chased around and value. Some are tough to see "go." But really those are all good choices to represent the best of the old game. DOA got spared. So did Shining Trap, Professor of Archeology, Yig, Nyarly, and many coveted others. And look at the classics that just had to make it in that did: shot gun blast, open for inspection, restless and wary, ravager from the deep, sacrificial offerings, HDY, shocking T, power drain (and an eclectic choice of hastur events), a single glimpse ( and good yog). Amazing how nicely mixed with the newer power. I mean, Torch the Joint is from the new AP. I was the guy so sure they'd pull from of olde only. Boy, I was wrong. Just ask Pickman himself.

So the Core Set is just reprints? No new cards at all? At least in the A game of Thrones Core Set they included new cards.

You get 10 new story cards, but yes, once again I do come back to the fact that what you do get isn't worth the asking price.

Edit: To be fair though, you as an established player do not need this starter. Its obviously designed to get new players into the game not to cater to those who play it already.

The_Big_Show said:

You get 10 new story cards, but yes, once again I do come back to the fact that what you do get isn't worth the asking price.

Edit: To be fair though, you as an established player do not need this starter. Its obviously designed to get new players into the game not to cater to those who play it already.

Being myself a tiny "old player", I found the Core Set cool, cause you can get Shiny Trap, DOA and a lot of stuffs I wouldn't get without it !

The_Big_Show said:

What about the 10 new story cards? When new cards came out, the old ones were not usable for organized play. I did bring this up during play testing and suggested sending sets of stories with the prize kits for players to use. We'll have to wait and see if my suggestion is used.

If 'white boarder only' becomes the norm, you're going to need at least one core set to put together anything legal (deck size) until the next series of packs is released.

I was pleased and surprised at the final set list, many of our suggestions did make it into this set: Power Drain, Open for Inspection, Gathering at the Stones, Yog-Sothoth – In Whom the Spheres Meet, Blackmoor and others. There are some we suggested swapping out that did stayed in, like using Arkham Prof Armitage instead of Wilmarth so he could interact with the Necronomicon or Innsmouth Look instead of Sword of Y’ha-tallo. Thank God he took out Deflect Harm.

PJ, We tried for MiGo worker and a different Hastur. No Dice.

Johnny, we suggested a little Resource Destruction for Agency, so that's where Torch came from. I was against Ravager, I thinks it's too good of a blocker in this limited of a card pool. I think Pickman was to added some name recognition for anyone coming to the game via Lovecraft's books.

Donald

Donald said:

The_Big_Show said:

If 'white boarder only' becomes the norm, you're going to need at least one core set to put together anything legal (deck size) until the next series of packs is released

So, you can't use earlier black boarded version of a card that is reprinted in core set? like power drain, for example??

AE Preemptive Strike would've been the classic agency resource destruction choice, or else EE Mystery Agent. I like AP I getting a nod best. Mi go worker is logical and more functional and a stalwart, but less exciting than the scout. Open for inspection seemed to trump the other classic Investigate boosts. i like this choice too, a beautiful and underheralded card, and saves my arch proffs from a nose dive.