Marvel Phase 4 (That other Disney side gig)

By Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun, in X-Wing Off-Topic

Great scene.

Rank your MCU films from favourite to least favourite! Give reasons if you want.

22: Incredible Hulk. Does this one count? I wonder how the series would have planned out if Ed Norton had stayed.

21: Iron Man 3. Stark's Battle of New York PTSD was really the only notable thing I took away from this one. Villains were pretty poor. Ben Kingsley was funny in his role... but man what a waste.

20: Black Panther. I now it was really well received and did well at the box office, but it just didn't do it for me. Killmonger was good - until he became a CGI duplicate of the protagonist. Why do that? Unlike most (all?) of the other origin stories, it doesn't really feel like it needs to be seen to understand the character's place in the overall story - Civil War introduces Black Panther well enough.

19: Iron Man 2. Love the character, the introduction to Black Widow and War Machine, even liked the villain... but the finale and the drones etc were a CGI mess. Probably didn't help that I first watched in as an in-flight movie on a tiny screen with constant engine drone, but yeah.

18: Doctor Strange. Good origin story, great Inception-like magical effects, fun finale. A bit of a by-the-numbers origin story though. Mads was pretty much wasted.

17 : Captain Marvel: Saw it late (after Endgame), but I enjoyed it. As a kid of the nineties the setting and music worked for me. Like Guardians/Thor etc the off-world elements and world building were great.

16: Captain America: The First Avenger. Seems weird putting it so low down as I enjoyed Cap's origin story well enough, and being (for the most part) in a historical setting makes it pretty timeless.

15: Thor: The Dark World. Seems like I enjoyed this one more than a lot of people did - I enjoy the Thor/Loki brotherly rivalry and the Asgard setting. Anthony Hopkins is great as Odin.

14: Avengers: Age of Ultron. For me the weakest of the ensemble films, although still really enjoyable. Enjoyed the introduction of Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver, enjoyed the set up of dysfunction in the team and it's clashing with world government, Tony's increasing worries, and Hawkeye's development. Ultron himself though... see Iron Man 2 for my thoughts on disposable CGI villainry. The overwhelmly-vast-numbers-of-enemies worked with the Chitauri in the Battle of New York and for Thanos' legions in the final two Avengers films, but I think we could have done with something different here.

13: Ant-Man and the Wasp. Not too much groundbreaking here, but I like the characters in the series.

12: Ant-.Man. Ditto. It was a fun heist romp and introduction to a little known (for me at least), character. Like a lot of my choices, the humour plays a big part.

11: Captain America: Civil War. More of an Avengers 2.5 than a Cap film? Heroes vs Heroes, big multi character battles - I've surprised myself it's not further up the list, but there's a lot of great films here.

10: Thor. Great introduction to the character and Asgard, and some of the more out there elements of the Marvel universe. "Sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic"? Yeah, it works.

9: Spiderman: Homecoming. Probably the first Spiderman film I've enjoyed since Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2. Keaton was great as Vulture, hope to see him back again.

8: Thor: Ragnarok. My favourite of the Thor movies simply because of the utterly ridiculous humour and the development it gave Hulk. And Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum.

7: Guardians of the Galaxy. Didn't know a thing about GG before seeing this film. For me, it just worked. The characters, the humour, the crazy universe... Everything.

6: Iron Man. Where it all began. Told a great origin story, and Downey Jr was perfectly cast. I never expected much after the recent X-Men/Hulk/F4 films or for Iron Man to become the heart of the MCU, so this was a really big surprise.

5: Avengers Assemble. The first big MCU ensemble movie showed what could be done with the franchise, and was a sign of things to come.

4: Endgame. Did an expert job of tying the series together and giving us a satisfying conclusion. Not perfect, but very well done.

3: Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Turns a superhero film into a spy thriller; introduces Falcon and gives more time to Black Widow; a good change of pace for the series.

2: Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Everything that was great from 1 with a more meaningful story. The comedy hit home, the cameos were surreal and the ending was a tear jerker.

1: Infinity War - probably the MCU equivalent to the Empire Stries Back - I was amazed at the time how many characters were included, developed and given meaningful roles.

...what have I missed? Feel like I've missed something...

Edit: Age of Ultron, of course.

Edited by FTS Gecko
7 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

...what have I missed? Feel like I've missed something...

Edit: Age of Ultron, of course.

...and Spiderman: Far From Home (assuming you've seen it).

3 hours ago, JudgeDeath said:

...and Spiderman: Far From Home (assuming you've seen it).

Still to see it. When it was announced with that name (following Infinity War) for some reason I thought it would be Spiderman off world trying to get back to Earth. I'm looking forward to seeing it, since like Homecoming it's not on Disney+, I'm guessing due to Sony etc.

Watched the Incredible Hulk again last night. Now I may need to revise my entire list...

And after seeing Far From Home, I'm sure the Spiderman films are working towards a Sinister Six storyline..

ON wandavision. Though i liked the film Pleasentville, this is not, so far, impressing me..

I am just dreading a reverse M-day.

And Nick Fury coming to Disney+ with Samuel L Jackson. Assuming they don't do something strange like swap him out as a regular for his son or something, I think this is the first time he'll be a regular cast member in a live action television series. (He did 8 episodes of Boondocks as recurring character Gin Rummy).

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/nick-fury-series-samuel-l-jackson-disney-plus-1234782313/

23 hours ago, LTuser said:

ON wandavision. Though i liked the film Pleasentville, this is not, so far, impressing me..

To be fair, even with all the he cool little Easter eggs the trailer isn't really giving a huge amount away.

I think it's a really interesting premise, with a couple of leads that are deserving of some attention. It'll all depend on the execution.

Anyone else hoping we see a Quicksilver cameo at all? The guy was one of the highlights of Age of Ultron

Since he died in AOU, how would they do that, and both Wanda and vision didn't exist prior to that film, how would they include him?

46 minutes ago, LTuser said:

Since he died in AOU, how would they do that, and both Wanda and vision didn't exist prior to that film, how would they include him?

If she's constructing these scenarios with her powers, certainly possible she could just decide he exists again. I don't know much about her powers in the comics, but a quick google says she's done stuff on that level. I guess we'll have to see how far they push her powers in the show.

2 hours ago, LTuser said:

Not sure what you mean by "both Wanda and Vision didn't exist prior to AOU"; Vision didn't, but Wanda was introduced alongside Quicksilver in the post credits of Winter Soldier. He's her twin brother, they were both HYDRA test subjects; her entire life up until AOU was spent alongside him.

1 hour ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

If she's constructing these scenarios with her powers, certainly possible she could just decide he exists again. I don't know much about her powers in the comics, but a quick google says she's done stuff on that level. I guess we'll have to see how far they push her powers in the show.

^

This. The series is set post-Endgame. Vision died in Infinity War, yet that clearly hasn't stopped him being a lead character in this show. No leap of logic at all to suggest that if she's capable of bringing Vision back (whether in some kind of real capacity or as a mental construct), she's capable of bringing her twin brother back in a similar manner.

A lot of this (while vague at the moment) appears to be centred around Wanda's grief/loss/psyche, so there's definitely scope to bring Quicksilver back for a cameo or two, even if it's just as the proverbial voice of conscience / angel sitting on her shoulder.

Good point..

Lots of interesting gossip and rumours doing the rounds about WandaVision, Multiverse of Madness and Phase 4 as a whole.

Don't know how much I want to see or share due to fear of potential spoilers, though...

Chris Pratt’s (Star-Lord) comment on Chris Hemsworth’s (Thor) post 😄

rc552f8wdi061.jpg

During my years with the seabee's, when we deployed, we often did Tire flipping as a good workout.. MAN SOME of those tires we used though, even I couldn't flip!!

🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Everything looks very fun.

But more importantly.

MOON KNIGHT