List Breakdown - Daqan heavy ranged

By Church14, in Runewars List Building

I wasn’t never a Daqan player, so I’m not the best to answer, but the list overall seems sound. I’m not confident in fine tuning it.

One thing to watch out for is that while forged in battle is a great card, your Oathsworn are going to be blocking in this army. It might be better to have an upgrade that provides a bonus immediately.

Again, I never really played Daqan. So I can only speak as somebody who faces them

Thanks for sharing your list idea here. I play Daqan a lot, but I’m not sure if my play style is different than yours. I don’t use many blockers rather I tend to build up better units with more upgrades.

Having said that, I’m not a big fan of Forged in Battle on a unit with 3 ranks. The extra re-roll is largely wasted and you may not even be around to benefit from Brutal. Perhaps if you replaced Baron Z with Lord H, you could re-form them into a 3x2 where the re-roll may be more beneficial.

You may also consider down-grading the Cavalry to a 2x2 unit (I’ve found them to be very effective) and spend the points to beef up your heroes. You could use Lord H in place of Baron Z and give him Might of Daqan and Shield of Margath. That makes him a real beast to take out and he will punch way above his weight.

I’ve also become a huge fan of Marching Cornicen on the Heavy Crossbowmen. It gives them the ability to shoot and change their facing a bit- a very important capability for ranged units.

I’m also not a big fan of the Deepwood Archers as they don’t seem to hit very hard (compared to Crossbowmen), but I understand you’re trying to use them as blockers with some ranged chip damage.

I do like the mix of units you have though, it will force the opponent to come to you. Depending upon what the objectives are, I think it could be pretty effective. You’ll want to think how to handle a fast Uthuk list (is there any other type?) where they move up after your shot and move before you can shoot the next turn. In those instances, I find that having units with more staying power to be important.

Good luck!!!

Here’s a list I use with big Heavy Crossbowmen blocks. You get the re-roll with the 2nd rank freeing up the Training slot for Close Quarters Targeting. The Visored Helms works well with the Ranged Attack at I5. People shooting you first have to shoot through 2 Defense and 1 Protected. You can dial in Lance Corporal to get an extra hit or surge. With Hawthorne and the Rallying Cornicen, wash, rinse, repeat... 😀

199/200

Heavy Crossbowmen [48] 3x2
Lance Corporal [6] -
Visored Helms [7] -
[Music]
Close Quarters Targeting [3] -
Remove Unit [64]
Lance Corporal [6] -
Visored Helms [7] -
[Music]
Close Quarters Targeting [3] -
Remove Unit [64]
Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
[Artifact]
[Unique]
Remove Unit [34]
Spearmen [30] 2x2
[Champion]
Tempered Steel [3] -
Rallying Cornicen [4] -
Remove Unit [37]

Here’s one other Ranged Heavy List I use. The Golems are surprisingly good blockers with the Vitality from the Baron and the Crossbowmen are tricked out and ready to rock. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the Baron up to Fortuna’s and Nerekhall, so I settled for the melee version. He can hold a more determined unit while the Crossbows support if needed.

199/200

Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Reaping Blade [4] -
Greyhaven Runelore [4] -
Remove Unit [46]
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Remove Unit [17]
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Remove Unit [17]
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Remove Unit [17]
Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3] -
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [34]
Tempered Steel [3] -
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [34]
Tempered Steel [3] -
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [34]

@sarumanthewhite How do your first list fare vs fast agressive hitters? seems to me that upgraded crossbows are good but i find it intreaguing to hear your exsperience. Maybe change one of the eqipments to a tempered steel to get that juciy increased dammage? Also changing from visored helms to shieldwall on the tanking* crossbows free up two points but make you more exsposed to big units. If you then remove CQT on the back most crossbows (or tempred steel on spears) you can get a Shield of Margath and Might of Daquan hawthorne as a blocker.

A comment to the other list is that it seems terrifying, but I imagine that it lacks a bit of map precense?

On 5/5/2020 at 6:51 PM, Church14 said:

One thing to watch out for is that while forged in battle is a great card, your Oathsworn are going to be blocking in this army. It might be better to have an upgrade that provides a bonus immediately.

Thx for the feedback, i can see your argument that the forged in battle is an inherently slow card. My intension where to threthen flanks them while runegolems, deepwoods archers and the baron would to the blocking for the crossbowmen. I dont play vs manny Uthuk so I may still have truble estimating their impact on their speed. Taking that into account the new configuration on the oathsworn takes file leader. With a i3 attack and defence up the oathsworn becomes quite strong.

On 5/6/2020 at 5:50 AM, sarumanthewhite said:

Having said that, I’m not a big fan of Forged in Battle on a unit with 3 ranks. The extra re-roll is largely wasted and you may not even be around to benefit from Brutal. Perhaps if you replaced Baron Z with Lord H, you could re-form them into a 3x2 where the re-roll may be more beneficial.

You could use Lord H in place of Baron Z and give him Might of Daqan and Shield of Margath. That makes him a real beast to take out and he will punch way above his weight.

I’m also not a big fan of the Deepwood Archers as they don’t seem to hit very hard (compared to Crossbowmen), but I understand you’re trying to use them as blockers with some ranged chip damage.

I can see the argument for taking Lord H instead of Baron Z. However when playing against Hawthorne ignoring him whan he takes Might of Daquan and Shield of Margath is an option if you manage to manover around him. Adding him in though for a though blocker.

Not a big fan of Deepwood Archers? In the new (hopefuly improved list) they get the configuration of 4x1 with tempered giving them an damage of 8-12 per shoot.

I did remove the golem in favour of a 2x1 oathsworn with windrune. This is most for a mobile objective unit - changing this unit to a golem gives 9 points so if there are some upgrades (dispach runner on the Deepwoods? and shieldwall on the Cavalry?) that might where I would start

Oathsworn are re-configured to 3x2, with ranked disipline and tempered steel that's around 10 average dammage a turn the requierd threshold for taking on tanky Uthouk spine treshers. ( that's the idea at least :P )

200/200
Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 3x2
File Leader [6]
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 59

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Total Unit Cost: 38

Deepwood Archers [30] 4x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Total Unit Cost: 33

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Oathsworn Cavalry [20] 2x1
Wind Rune [6]
Total Unit Cost: 26

Edited by Datskor
Clarification on the Oathsworn configuration and Deepwood Archers

Don’t let us talk you out of Forged in Battle entirely. It’s a good card for a flanker like you were thinking. A good card for any unit that you expect to usually be there in the back half of the game.

The 4x1 Deepwoods with Tempered are good. Though there is some pretty good arguments to just bring a 3x1 crossbow. Deepwoods will do 4-8 damage and peak at 12. 3 Tray crossbows will usually do 6-9 and peak at 12. Durability is roughly the same against small attacks because of that protected 1. If something big hits them the difference in durability won’t matter much.

Something @Jukey is a fan of is to put fire rune on small deepwoods units. The precise 1 lets them reroll fire rune, which makes their Potential damage output higher. It also opens up late marches to take potshots at I8.

I like this topic as Daqan ranged armies can have some scary damage output and BaronZ gives those solo golems enough HP to survive a charge.

Most charges aren’t going to get much over 12 damage. With BaronZ a golem can get up to 15-18HP to eat a charge.

Darnati peak at something like 14

Berserkers peak at 21.

Rippers peak at 16 I think.

Threshers at 16

Reanimates peak at 20

Death knights at 19

Spearmen peak a lot higher than others at 30.

These are peak damage. Not average. Most will do a bit less

A blocker might do enough just by stopping a charge. It does a lot more if it can make an attacking unit have to burn a turn meleeing it again.

Edited by Church14

Ok, so let's exsplore the Baron Z with blockers and not drop forged in battle ( :P ). So im dropping Hawthorne since i wont be using his lessons of the seragart ability and he lacks shooting. Kari with Deepwoods is nice but so is 3x1 crossbows...

The first list uses Baron Z and golems as blockers, and windrune cav as mobile unit that's objective hunting or in reserve. It would be realy nice with fortunas dice on Baron Z but im to attached to my windrune on the cav's. Grey haven runelore may be the whay to go then, but giving out banes of your choice seems good espessialy when the golems slow down units.

The other list is simmilar with the exseption that the 3x1 crossbows are changed for a 3x2 and the liberated points are spent on fortunas dice and coloumn tactics. Did also throw in forged in battle and close quarters targeting for the 3x2 crossbows.

Honestly im not sure what list would be more viable anny ideas/comments? :)

A:

200/200
Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Nerekhall Training [4]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Rune Golems [17] 1x1

Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 2x3
Forged In Battle [4]
Wind Rune [6]
Total Unit Cost: 56
B:
200/200
Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Fortunas Dice [6]
Nerekhall Training [4]
Total Unit Cost: 48

Forged In Battle [4]
Tempered Steel [3]
Close Quarters Targeting [3]
Total Unit Cost: 58

Oathsworn Cavalry [46] 2x3
Forged In Battle [4]
Wind Rune [6]
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 60

Rune Golems [17] 1x1

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Edited by Datskor

Hi everyone,

Lots to talk about here.... 😀

@Church14 You hit it on the head, the Golems combined with the vitality from Baron Z gives them just enough to survive 2 rounds against most units. That means 1-2 shots from each of the Crossbows which, as you know, is a lot of damage, probably about 15 on average.

@Datskor I like both of the lists you posted above. They are both very flexible. I really like the list with the 2xGolems, 2xCrossbows, and Cavalry as it can fight on a more narrow frontage and Oathsworn have a great dial (I3 Melee + 1 Defense). I have a couple of lists which use a 3x2 Crossbowmen with Tempered, but I have a 2x1 Spearmen with Rallying Cornicen nearby to keep them at high damage. I do like combining Forged in Battle with Column Tactics. You get to 3 threat with 2 rerolls.

I’m not sure how the lists I recommended would work against fast chargers as I don’t play enough 😩 , but I did structure the 3xRG, 3xHC to be able to deal with it in theory. As @Church14 said, I see the Daqan Crossbows as an equivalent or better choice to the Deepwood Archers in general. They can have the build with Fire Rune where you can get a re-roll and shoot late in turn, but if you’re not playing the Greyhaven Channeler’s, you can be subject to the random nature of the runes.

I do like Deepwood’s in a 4x1 configuration (using Lord H). It’s a very scary ranged damage unit, but it requires a wide frontage to shoot. There’s a few deployment cards where you fight along the narrow side of the board and I’ve run into many problems with that. I was using Lord H and a bunch of 2x2 Oathsworn configured as 4x1. They hit for a ton of damage and could charge a long way when turning. I couldn’t use them very effectively though in some situations as they got in each other’s way.

It’s great to be talking about RW after a few months off...

@Datskor

I think I’m a fan I’ve the first list. Like @sarumanthewhite said, it has a strong ranged core, enough blockers to eat some charges, and the Cav as a spoiler unit to take care of odd threats and to present a flank threat itself

Well, I’m gonna come up with another one of these threads. I’ve been enjoying this.