List Breakdown - Daqan heavy ranged

By Church14, in Runewars List Building

Since the Simple as Death thread has been getting some traction, I figured I would try putting out some list ideas for people to use/criticize/nitpick/get-ideas-from. I’m starting with Daqan as it’s the faction I’m least familiar with playing as or against.

http://tabletopadmiral.com/runewars/human/p053u19uEMu1buEMp0f2u27uEMu0ep041p1b1uEMu97p181uEMp0f2u27uEMu0e

199/200
Spearmen [40] 3x2
Lance Corporal [6]
Raven-Pennon Bearer [5]
Total Unit Cost: 51

Heavy Crossbowmen [27] 3x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 34

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Nerekhall Training [4]
Total Unit Cost: 42

Outland Scouts [21] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 21

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]

The basic idea idea for the list:

-Lance/Raven on the 6 tray Spearmen has been my idea of a sort of “everything” unit. It provides a bit of an answer for any issue or gap the rest of the list has.

-2X TS/rank 3 tray crossbows is a heavy hitting ranged element. No marching cornicen due to points.

-BaronZ geared more towards keeping it at ranged combat. In theory, throwing out stubs or immobilize where it will hurt the most. Also, his vitality tokens make sniping Lance Corporal or Banner Bearer much more challenging and makes the Rune golem even more of a tank. He would sit in front of the crossbows and guard them as well as pop shots off.

-Rune golem blocker

-Scouts as a combination blocker and/or token grabber.

HP: 81+2

Melee width: 6+1 for Baron

Ranged width: 6+1 for Baron

Alright people, how bad or good did I do?

It seems a better version of karithorne. Quite a bunker. Slow on objectives but ca get things done. Can easily win many attrition duels. Spearmen are a very good unit but well placed Vorunthul Will outmaneuver and eat them in no time. Against more simple armies and in Canyon scenario May be gamebreaking

The spearmen seem unsupported.

Looks like 2x shooty, + barron and the rest won't do what you need it to.

I like spearmen with corruption rune as blockers; they seem to get in the way just as well as anything else, but can actually do something useful as well.

40 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

The spearmen seem unsupported.

Looks like 2x shooty, + barron and the rest won't do what you need it to.

I like spearmen with corruption rune as blockers; they seem to get in the way just as well as anything else, but can actually do something useful as well.

What would you change the spear block to?

I'd rather throw scouts and bigger block and put two useful tools

79/200

Oathsworn Cavalry [34] 2x2
Master-Crafted Weapons [4] -
[Heraldry]
Moment of Inspiration [5] -
Remove Unit [43]
Spearmen [30] 2x2
[Champion]
Corruption Rune [4] -
Marching Cornicen [2] -
Remove Unit [36]

this way you'd have 3 melee units that wouldn't die as easily as scouts, one of them has range tool and the other fights just as well as spearmen (maybe not as quick, but slightly more counterattack power)

Also it is worth considering to have humble hawthorne with zachareth and two crossbows. Tempered steel may be used one more time, one more wound on hawthorne may be huge if he has shield of magrath and he is more nimble and sneaky than 2*2 block. in some circumstances he may also be a reason to actually consider savior than betrayer.

199/200

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6] -
Might of Daqan [4] -
Remove Unit [44]
Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
[Artifact]
Lord of Subterfuge [5] -
Remove Unit [43]
Tempered Steel [3] -
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [34]
[Equipment]
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [31]
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Remove Unit [17]
Spearmen [30] 2x2
[Champion]
[Equipment]
[Music]
Remove Unit [30]

Once you have two 3x1 Xbows, they become your main damage source, and the rest of the list needs to be able to support blocking for them. So I think the criticism of the Scouts is fair, and although Raven Penner Banner and Lance Corporal are good, I wonder if a more defensive and blocking build on the 3x2 Spearmen might not fit the archetype better. And as Skaflok suggests, it might be better just to pitch the scouts and pick up trays or appropriate upgrades elsewhere in the list.

12 hours ago, Church14 said:

What would you change the spear block to?

I'd keep barron and the xbows, and trade both the spears and the scouts for 2 units of 2 rune golems and another solo golem.

18 hours ago, Skaflok said:

199/200

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6] -
Might of Daqan [4] -
Remove Unit [44]
Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
[Artifact]
Lord of Subterfuge [5] -
Remove Unit [43]
Tempered Steel [3] -
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [34]
[Equipment]
[Music]
Rank Discipline [4] -
Remove Unit [31]
Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Remove Unit [17]
Spearmen [30] 2x2
[Champion]
[Equipment]
[Music]
Remove Unit [30]

Does naked 2x2 spearmen deliver? I feel like I’d remove lord of subterfuge, add tempered to the other crossbows, and see what 3 points gets you for spearmen

Edited by Church14

No, a 2x2 spear does not deliver. They have great options for upgrades, and you don't have the points for any.

yeah.I see where were heading. ofc 2*1 golem :)

this way we're at 28 instead of 30. dial may be not so great, but nothing to ignore. works better with zachareth. and both crossbowmen can take marching cornicen as long as zachareth takes cheaper upgrade,.

Alright, so:

http://tabletopadmiral.com/runewars/human/p0f2u27uEMu0ep0f2u27uEMu0ep1b1uEMuEMp0e1u32u31p041p042uEM

195/200
Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]

Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 38

Lord Hawthorne [34] 1x1
Shield of Margath [6]
Might of Daqan [4]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Rune Golems [17] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 17

Rune Golems [28] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 28

Then use the last 5 points to either add marching to the crossbows or something to the Baron?

Vitality tokens go to the two Rune Golems and Hawthorne. Baron’s expected play is to go betrayer and stun a golem. Standard crossbow doctrine. This list will suffer a bit on some objectives, but 2X threat 3 and 1X threat 2 ranged units will put out damage.

Also a rather dense list with a footprint of 6 trays wide. Can probably fight comfortably in an area as narrow as 7 trays wide. So you don’t much care about where you deploy.

Cool. I’ll pop up a ranged-heavy Waiqar list in a bit here

So, I’m probably in the minority here, but I like having one cheap, mobile unit to run around and scoop up objectives as needed. To be sure, if your objective is “killdozer”, then those points are typically better spent on a blocker like Golems with Baron Z

1 hour ago, sarumanthewhite said:

So, I’m probably in the minority here, but I like having one cheap, mobile unit to run around and scoop up objectives as needed. To be sure, if your objective is “killdozer”, then those points are typically better spent on a blocker like Golems with Baron Z

Depending on the objective, the solo rune golem works.

For our our upcoming tourney, we’ve set the objectives to discourage lists that don’t have at least 1 unit that can operate independently.

36 minutes ago, Church14 said:

Depending on the objective, the solo rune golem works.

For our our upcoming tourney, we’ve set the objectives to discourage lists that don’t have at least 1 unit that can operate independently.

Exactly. We’ve been playing the objectives quite a bit and, in particular, Hunter’s Quarry is a bit challenging. The advantage to the Scouts is they deploy after everyone else and get a 3-March onto the board which can give them a real head start on token capture. They can also 2-Shift and 1 Shift which allows them to get through some difficult terrain if needed. The downside is that they go splat very quickly and don’t hit for anything unless they’re flanking...

I’m really struggling for my token scooper unit as I’ve tried a 2x1 Spearmen, 2x1 Scouts and a solo Rune Golem. Each has their advantages and disadvantages...

21 hours ago, sarumanthewhite said:

Exactly. We’ve been playing the objectives quite a bit and, in particular, Hunter’s Quarry is a bit challenging. The advantage to the Scouts is they deploy after everyone else and get a 3-March onto the board which can give them a real head start on token capture. They can also 2-Shift and 1 Shift which allows them to get through some difficult terrain if needed. The downside is that they go splat very quickly and don’t hit for anything unless they’re flanking...

I’m really struggling for my token scooper unit as I’ve tried a 2x1 Spearmen, 2x1 Scouts and a solo Rune Golem. Each has their advantages and disadvantages...

Derailing off the original topic for a moment, I was chuckling at the thought of a 2 tray Crossbows with piercing strike as a token unit. I add piercing strike just so that it can act as a little mortal strike spewer when tokens aren’t in the table.

why not have three of those little ****ers and oathsworn as screen/block/hammer element whatever needed?

OFC it will die to waiquar with two 6tray archer blocks, but I think that going that far with MSU can be challenging and fun. Terrain is no longer a problem for such an army.

I just checked. 4 oathsworn with rank discipline 3 Hcrossbow with piercing strike and Kari with fortuna's dice. 200/200.

What's not to like? ;)

kari is a perfect connector here between offense and defense. It's like a football match.

8,5 melee trays.

6,5 ranged trays.

Aggressive cornicerns are downfall of this list, but Kari is a good counter.

8 MSU, possibly several flank attacks.

68 hp before +1 def on oathsworn and before protected 1 on three units.

also double deathcaller will start eating through cavalry for free. But then will start losing figures to xbows. if at least one cavalry gets to flank charge, this army is good.

33 minutes ago, Skaflok said:

also double deathcaller will start eating through cavalry for free. But then will start losing figures to xbows. if at least one cavalry gets to flank charge, this army is good.

Your talking a list like this?

196/200
Oathsworn Cavalry [20] 2x1
Rank Discipline [4]
Total Unit Cost: 24

Rank Discipline [4]

Rank Discipline [4]

Rank Discipline [4]

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]

Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 32

it can close gaps quickly, snipe out figures fairly easily, and Xbows can put out good damage when on defense.

My only big concern is that the Oathsworn want to charge while Xbows and Kari want to turtle. I’ve never been impressed by oathsworn acting as blockers or sitting on defense.

The orher detail to watch out for is that the oathsworn will be fragile the turn they try to charge or if they try to close the gap at speed 6. A list that has a few options to deal late initiative damage could get up early against you. This isn’t a significant worry, but I’ve faced enough ventala to valie init8 Damage options.

kari is offensive piece. she can turtle, but also move and begin round with fire. Also she can run to flank and then start throwing daggers. So she aint no bunker piece at all.

Cavalry here I see as potentially good blocker with benefits. "speedbumpiness" of scion is in immobilize. Cavalry can countercharge, to buy round but also to gain space for incoming shooting elements. As you have four, at least one will be a threat to flanks.

Kari WILL kill here, as there is no chance that she will have to face enemy stronger than she not on daqan terms (as long as there is no vorunthul)

What about this modification?

Baron and golems are blocker's while Kari and Oath sworn are agressive elements. The deepwoods/golem dont mind stunns that mutch and your mobile cavalery gets more thretening as the game goes on.

199/200
Kari Wraithstalker [32] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 32

Baron Zachareth [38] 1x1
Total Unit Cost: 38

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Total Unit Cost: 20

Tempered Steel [3]
Rank Discipline [4]