...and what about new heroes in future expansions?

By decimalegione, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

18 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Yep. Tom Bombadil, Elrond, Galadriel, Even Gandalf would be better as a part of adventure! Not player characters.

Yeah, even in the stories Gandalf is always coming and going. He disappears, the group gets into trouble, and sometimes he shows up just in time to bail them out. Bombadil is also treated that way in the books.

I'm not a game writer, but maybe you could have an ability in certain adventures to call for help from Gandalf (or a song for Bombadil). Just like one skill card in the deck or whatever. Just spitballing.

11 hours ago, Uninvited Guest said:

100% meant as a joke.

Maybe so, but some of us actually are fans of Tom Bombadil. I agree he wouldn't work as a player hero, however.

It’ll be great if Gandalf and Bombadillo where Title cards! One use per adventure.

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:40 AM, MeeKey said:

It’ll be great if Gandalf and Bombadillo where Title cards! One use per adventure.

I gotta say, if I ever get an Armadillo as a pet I know what I'm gonna call it now...

I wanna see Eomer and Eowyn. Gimme some Rohirrim and give them a mount item that gives them 1 extra move during move actions or something.

I'm curious if they will ever do magic for heroes. I mean- it be weird seeing Aragon fling magic. I imagine if they add a spellcaster role it would be limited in some way to certain characters, maybe something like "only wizards can pick this role" and I imagine those characters would have a "have to pick a spellcaster role".

22 hours ago, LionCub said:

I'm curious if they will ever do magic for heroes. I mean- it be weird seeing Aragon fling magic. I imagine if they add a spellcaster role it would be limited in some way to certain characters, maybe something like "only wizards can pick this role" and I imagine those characters would have a "have to pick a spellcaster role".

Great question and I wonder if there will be role/trait restrictions. A role that is “Istari only” for instance.

Would love a Beorning. Maybe spend an action to turn into a bear, with certain benefits. Already have 2 elves, 2 humans. Another dwarf would be cool, and make Gimli's Kinship (or is that Guardian) a bit better. Gloin, his dad, or Thorin for name recognition.

10 hours ago, cybrweez said:

Would love a Beorning. Maybe spend an action to turn into a bear, with certain benefits. Already have 2 elves, 2 humans. Another dwarf would be cool, and make Gimli's Kinship (or is that Guardian) a bit better. Gloin, his dad, or Thorin for name recognition.

Sorry to break this news to you but... Thorin died...

On 6/13/2019 at 12:39 PM, Majushi said:

Sorry to break this news to you but... Thorin died...

So did Aragorn, what's your point?

latest?cb=20121207110438

If this game is in a post-Hobbit, pre-LOTR setting then Thorin being alive would be a little out of place.

6 hours ago, aniron said:

JiME happens between the Hobbit (when Thorin died), but before LotR (when Aragorn was still alive and kicking).

31 minutes ago, Daverman said:

If this game is in a post-Hobbit, pre-LOTR setting then Thorin being alive would be a little out of place.

So is Gimli sharing a party with the son of Thranduil in that timeframe.

I'm pretty much with @aniron on this one. The idea of a "timeline" is kinda hard to justify even with the core box heroes. I like to think of JiME as an arcade styled game where you choose your favorite LotR characters and heroes and throw them into various campaigns and adventures together.

So I'd rather not have a "timeline" determine which heroes FFG release down the road. I'd like to have the the option to play a lot of the LotR heroes and the timeline/thematic players can do their thing with whatever heroes are available. Someone want to run Elrond, Thorin and Eomer? They can do just that. Someone want to stay thematic and run an all Dunedain lineup with Beravor, Aragorn and maybe Halbarad? They can do that. Just saying the option would be way more fun than not having a large, unique lineup of heroes at all.

10 hours ago, The Archangel said:

So I'd rather not have a "timeline" determine which heroes FFG release down the road. I'd like to have the the option to play a lot of the LotR heroes and the timeline/thematic players can do their thing with whatever heroes are available.

Yeah, I'd rather think of the game as an alternate universe middle earth rather than trying to fit it into book canon. Because let's face, it's not going to serve as canon anyway.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:51 PM, aniron said:

latest?cb=20121207110438

There are some clear timeframes for this game based on the following;

Bilbo is a hero. He does not become an “adventurer” until the Hobbit. Ergo, this happens after the Hobbit is concluded. So Thorin is dead.

He is also not decrepit and old, so this is before Lord of the Rings.

Ergo. Thorin dead, and who knows who (Legolas & Gimli etc) is a much smaller hand wave ignoring Canon than resurrecting the dead Thorin.

BUT, you do you. Ignore facts you don’t like if you want.

Edited by Majushi
43 minutes ago, Majushi said:

There are some clear timeframes for this game based on the following;

Bilbo is a hero. He does not become an “adventurer” until the Hobbit. Ergo, this happens after the Hobbit is concluded. So Thorin is dead.

He is also not decrepit and old, so this is before Lord of the Rings.

Ergo. Thorin dead, and who knows who (Legolas & Gimli etc) is a much smaller hand wave ignoring Canon than resurrecting the dead Thorin.

BUT, you do you. Ignore facts you don’t like if you want.

Well, Gimli didn't become an adventurer until Lord of the Rings, being deemed to young by far to join the quest to reclaim the Kingdom Under the Mountain.

My point is that FFG is already playing fast and loose with the timeline and lore, so better to have options.

Granted, I wouldn't want to go as far as having Kíli and Tauriel, sitting in a tree... being the next heroes.

Edited by aniron
23 hours ago, aniron said:

Well, Gimli didn't become an adventurer until Lord of the Rings, being deemed to young by far to join the quest to reclaim the Kingdom Under the Mountain.

My point is that FFG is already playing fast and loose with the timeline and lore, so better to have options.

Granted, I wouldn't want to go as far as having Kíli and Tauriel, sitting in a tree... being the next heroes.

I understand your sentiment, but the time gap between Hobbit and LotR is sufficient that a young Gimli could be active.

regardless, I think, it’s clear you just want what you want.

I don’t care who they add, but the developers have been very clear about the timeline for the game at the moment.

unless that changes I don’t think we can expect to see characters that are know to be dead showing up

There are fifty-nine years between the end of the Hobbit and the beginning of the Lord of the Rings. Any character that could have been in their adulthood during that timeframe would seem to be fair game. While that may rule out a few favorites like Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin, Eowyn and Eomer, there are tons of options that would still have name recognition with fans. Faramir and Boromir would both have been adults, with each being near forty years old at the time of Lord of the Rings. Rohan could have Theoden and Eomund in their prime. Elladan and Elrohir are no-brainers. Beorn, Prince Imrahil and Bard are as well. Additional Dwarves are easy. Plenty of options for more and they can also take from their created characters that they have made for the LotR LCG.

I think Gandalf woudl be good addition for a true solo gameplay ;)

Many possible new heroes form the lore :
Elladan and Elrohir, Elrond's sons, seem pretty obvious.

Halbarad the Dunadan

Gildor Inglorion, Haldir and his brothers, Rumil and Orophin.

Theoden and Eomund (a young Gamling ?)
Beorn would be awesome (or his son Grimbeorn)

Bard or his son, Bain

Many of Thorin's companions

Prince Imrahil, Forlong (who was very old at the time of the Lord of the Rings), Duinhir (a bowman).

Seconded for all "mature" LotR characters in their youth - Theoden, Gamling, Imrahil, Forlong, Angbor, Halbarad.

Some of the surviving Thorin's company would be cool, as well as Gildor - a lower tier elf, known to roam Middleearth.

Or they could go IA way, introducing more original characters. That would be cool as well :D

The Lord of the Rings LCG, which is set during the same time period (but including The Hobbit era), has 80 unique heroes, some from the lore and some creations of FFG:

https://ringsdb.com/find?q=t%3Ahero

I would consider this a reasonable list from which the JiME designers might draw inspiration.