...and what about new heroes in future expansions?

By decimalegione, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

....my favourite is.... Boromir ....perhaps with an ability to spend inspiration converting fate icon on another hero test (near him).....or to discard damage.....

On 5/14/2019 at 11:27 PM, decimalegione said:

....my favourite is.... Boromir ....perhaps with an ability to spend inspiration converting fate icon on another hero test (near him).....or to discard damage.....

Pretty sure Boromir's ability should be to take any damage caused by ranged to a nearby hero and suffer them face down. This response cannot be cancelled

/sarcasm 🤣

Edited by Thaeggan

Don't you think its odd that the game is called "Lord of the Rings" and there is no Frodo?

review_asfrodo_17.jpg

8 minutes ago, Henilin said:

Don't you think its odd that the game is called "Lord of the Rings" and there is no Frodo?

review_asfrodo_17.jpg

Bilbo is cooler than frodo anyway.

3 hours ago, Henilin said:

You know the "Lord of the Rings" refers to Sauron, not Frodo, right?

The time period is also before Bilbo gives up the ring. Is Frodo even alive?

OK, good points, let's skip Frodo. I was just thinking Frodo is the main character in the Lord of the Rings.

If it's about the time period then we will probably miss all the main human characters too..

If it's about coolness, I go for Elrond. (He was alive for sure in the time period)

True Wandalf, Frodo was "only" The Lord of the One Ring for a while.

6 hours ago, Henilin said:

True Wandalf, Frodo was "only" The Lord of the One Ring for a while.

And even when he was the Ring-bearer, that title was only used in reference to Sauron. ;)

I think the biggest characters like Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel would seem out of place in a adventure style game like this.

a young Boromir and Faramir would be cool.

plenty of Rohirrim could appear also.

the biggest issue with who can appear would be the timeline.

but ffg can set each adventure in different parts of the world and adjust the timeline to be what it needs to work.

with Bilbo an available hero it can really only be post-Hobbit pre-LotR

Lotr Lcg is about the same time line and you see characters who Are allready dead and characters that has not been borne in the same Group so... Most likely it will not be very strict in this game also.

i personally would like to see more strict timeline, but this works just fine.

It would be nice to run a hobbit crew, or dwarf crew.

Some new roles would be a nice addition too!

On 5/18/2019 at 3:34 AM, Daft Blazer said:

Some new roles would be a nice addition too!

I'm not saying it's impossible to expand upon, but I do feel like it would be difficult to keep adding roles too often, and certainly not one per character? I do want them, but I'm a little concerned in that area about how plausible continued expansion is.

But plausibly they could come out with another "Burglar" character who has different Burglar cards, and the option to choose between either set of cards so long as you have "Burglar 1, 2, and 3"? That might get too complicated, idk.

Wizard role maybe, if/when they do Gandalf? The role could be restricted to only Istari?

Edited by Daft Blazer
58 minutes ago, Daft Blazer said:

Wizard role maybe, if/when they do Gandalf? The role could be restricted to only Istari?

A Shaman role would be nice. Cross between musician and hunter.

I feel Gandalf would be to powerful for this type of game. However he doesn’t really show his true power a lot and this could be fixed by increasing the threat level by 2-3 when Gandalf is fielded.

1 hour ago, MeeKey said:

A Shaman role would be nice. Cross between musician and hunter.

I feel Gandalf would be to powerful for this type of game. However he doesn’t really show his true power a lot and this could be fixed by increasing the threat level by 2-3 when Gandalf is fielded.

Nah. Gandalf has only 3 actions during the whole scenario ;)

How will they handle introducing new heroes into scenarios? Would you just have to start over?

Éowyn, or if she would be too young in this timeline some other shieldmaiden of the Rohirrim. For that matter any male or female Rohirrim could be interesting. Arwen could work if you used something more similar to her movie persona as opposed to the straight book version. Boromir, or if he would be too young some other similar captain of Gondor. Glorfindel, though he might be a bit powerful to be a player-controlled character. A Woodmen or Beorning hero of some sort.

8 hours ago, shoreless said:

How will they handle introducing new heroes into scenarios? Would you just have to start over?

I assume each campaign is independent. So, you start over every time. Maybe this isn't correct? It would be neat to keep going, and clearly the items were designed with a potential for a stage 4 upgrade (the stage 3 items have lore thresholds).

Personally, I'd like to see more role cards in the existing roles, to add more choices.

I think you could get away with a decent Gandalf the Grey with good stats and such but you have to give him some disadvantage. Maybe other heroes in your party suffer 1 facedown fear whenever Gandalf tests and fails to generate any successes, inspiration or otherwise. More fear if Gandalf has to perform a test of will.

So many possible heroes! Boromir, Eowyn, Faramir, Tauriel, Bard the Bowman, any number of Dwarfs from the Hobbit.

You're all missing the obvious one... TOM BOMBADIL!

(Or maybe I'm missing it...)

Edited by Uninvited Guest

I think Tom Bombadil is too god-like for the scope of this game, certainly as a player hero. If Gandalf is questionable, Tom Bombadil certainly is.

3 hours ago, Daverman said:

I think Tom Bombadil is too god-like for the scope of this game, certainly as a player hero. If Gandalf is questionable, Tom Bombadil certainly is.

Hard to argue with that. I love Bombadil by the way. But I like the way Lord of the Rings: the Card Game handles Bombadil. He's part of the encounter deck, so he comes out of the adventure that you are on, and helps you. They could do a similar type of thing with him here, in an expansion set in the Old Forest and/or the Barrow Mounds. I'd definitely like to see a Bombadil mini.

Yep. Tom Bombadil, Elrond, Galadriel, Even Gandalf would be better as a part of adventure! Not player characters.

Much like one spesific Ranger allready is presented in one scenario allready!

that is how They Are handled in the Onering rpg (the best Lotr game around IMHO :) ) In that game those big characters Are your benefactors, quest givers, your patrons etc!

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
18 hours ago, Daverman said:

100% meant as a joke.