Unicorn Windrunners

By Green Raven, in L5R LCG: Deck Building

Do I have this right?

Can I use Cavalry Reserves to summon 3 Battle Maiden and 3 Young Warriors from my discard, and then use Warriors of the Wind to move any unneeded units back to my home for use in the next conflict?

5 hours ago, Green Raven said:

Do I have this right?

Can I use Cavalry Reserves to summon 3 Battle Maiden and 3 Young Warriors from my discard, and then use Warriors of the Wind to move any unneeded units back to my home for use in the next conflict?

Yes....if you just have 5 fate lying around, go for it.

just trying to see if I understand the mechanics

On 4/28/2019 at 2:07 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

Yes....if you just have 5 fate lying around, go for it.

Greetings, and welcome to Shiro Shinjo.

55 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

Greetings, and welcome to Shiro Shinjo.

If that's what you're spending your fate on with SS, you're doing it wrong.

14 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

It's my fate, and I'll spend it any way I want! :lol:

On 4/29/2019 at 5:35 PM, Ishi Tonu said:

Why? Seems like a good strategy to me. Cavalry Reserves hits with overwhelming force, but your opponent is still forced to commit his troops; if he doesnt, Warriors of the Wind allows you to pull back. The end result is you have exactly as much firepower as you need to break your target, while his army is exhuasted.

What's more, you dont even have to actually HAVE Warriors of the Wind in your hand! As long as youve got two fate to spare, you can bluff it!

It was more of a joke than anything as the most common discussion about what to do with Shinjo Shiro revolves around how big to make your Yoritomo, and twinstar and I are pretty forum friendly with each other so some playful banter is nice to keep things light for those who are not looking to be hardcore competitive all the time.

Seriously do whatever you want, but, keep in mind that SS is not really geared towards swarm so the specific example involving the inclusion of BMR is probably not optimal. It would be better suited to HMT and BMR is still widely considered a sub optimal card choice, for now. When the new holding hits, that lets you buy 2 characters at once, in an attempt to gain/retain tempo and fate advantage, then BMR will have to be reconsidered, but, for now, BMR is pretty bad, so this specific hypothetical situation is somewhat pointless to have a serious discussion about, at this time.

Warriors of the Wind to me is likely a bluff card for decklist reporting, similar to Assassination, but not quite as useful. I'd consider one copy of it, if I can find space, but, I wouldn't build towards it as a combo to be a focal point of the deck, because it's pushing a big investment of fate that can get blown out by a well timed counter and works a little bit counter to what Unicorn's strategy is.

Cav Reserves is good because you're getting increased value on your fate spent by getting more than 3 fate worth of characters. If you tack on 2 more fate with WotW and try to get cute now you've somewhat undercut your fate value because unless you can do something great that turn, you've spent 5 fate for the same amount of stuff. If your trick fizzles out then you would likely have been better served by purchasing a strong 3 drop with 2 fate on it.

Unless you are comboing with FGG, Cav Reserves is generally a finisher and not something you want to mess around with by including cards that drag out your attempt to finish the game.

I'm sure we'll see that combo happen and when it does it will likely do something great, but, I wouldn't be aiming for that play specifically, and it's certainly bordering on forcing a suboptimal play if used off Shinjo Shono.

Ymmv so go for it, if you feel confident in it.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Ah got it :)